Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

2024 Student Protests Vs Wag the Dog

Hard to believe these student protests have been happening for months. Yet only recently got catapulted to the top of the national discourse. Like someone held some bad faith hearings to distract from atrocities happening on the otherside of the world. But it's also near the end of the semester!

Writer Adam Serwer nails it.
    The speed with which many of our faux free speech fundamentalists started demanding the use of state force to punish pro Palestinian protesters is remarkable, they do not even seem to perceive a contradiction.

Here’s what the national guard bullshit is really about.
    The Republicans Who Want American Carnage
    Calls for the National Guard to stop campus protests are not about safety.

Tom Cotton has never seen a left-wing protest he didn’t want crushed at gunpoint.

On Monday, the Arkansas senator demanded that President Joe Biden send in the National Guard to clear out the student protests at Columbia University against the Israel-Hamas war, which he described as “the nascent pogroms at Columbia.” Last week, Cotton posted on X, “I encourage people who get stuck behind the pro-Hamas mobs blocking traffic: take matters into your own hands. It’s time to put an end to this nonsense.” He later deleted the post and reworded it so that it did not sound quite so explicitly like a demand for aspiring vigilantes to lynch protesters.

Texas GOp is dogpiling as well, with a wildly disproportionate response to a peaceful protest at UT-Austin.

https://www.statesman.com/story/news...t/73425149007/

Those brave brave state troppers that couldnt stop a single gunman a year ago. Unleashing their sangfroid against unarmed protestors....
    Truly, the Media never forgave itself for ending Nixon's second term. They've been wagging the dog for his hiers ever since.
    Government Affiliated Snark

10+ Year Old Account
    >.>
    <.<

Anyone here old enough to remember the last time the National Guard went to stop protests at a college campus?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Republicans cherish the rights granted by the 1st Amendment and will aggressively defend them when they are threatened!
    But only when it applies to them and their beliefs.
    Princesses can kill knights to rescue dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    >.>
    <.<

Anyone here old enough to remember the last time the National Guard went to stop protests at a college campus?
    Nah, it was like a decade before my time. But the right is absolutely salivating at the opportunity to gun down some more college kids.

To be fair and balanced democrats are also jumping on this bandwagon including Biden, a lot of people are upset that young people are not falling for the main stream media narrative. I think they haven't come to terms with the fact that they screwed the pooch with the Iraq war and no one buys the bullshit anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    To be fair and balanced democrats are also jumping on this bandwagon including Biden, a lot of people are upset that young people are not falling for the main stream media narrative. I think they haven't come to terms with the fact that they screwed the pooch with the Iraq war and no one buys the bullshit anymore.
    An unfortunate reality of the matter is that there's no real "silver bullet" narrative to adopt, here. At least, not in a fraught election year. And while that might seem cynical (and it is) I can guarantee you that whatever Biden's response to the situation is... it will be a thousand times less jingoist knee-jerk than whatever Trump's "solution" would be.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    An unfortunate reality of the matter is that there's no real "silver bullet" narrative to adopt, here. At least, not in a fraught election year. And while that might seem cynical (and it is) I can guarantee you that whatever Biden's response to the situation is... it will be a thousand times less jingoist knee-jerk than whatever Trump's "solution" would be.
    There is a silver bullet and it's pretty darn simple "we respect the rights of students to express themselves as per the constitution but condemn any agitators that are using them to spread hate. My administration hears their message and looks forward to dialogue with some in the movement.". This of course is complete PR bullshit since he just shipped with a giant smile billions to Israel but considering he is trying to win the youth vote would be the smart thing to do. The wrong bullet to use your term is to copy republicans and call them hate protests / anti semites or whatever.

>.>
    <.<

Not as such but I've read my history.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post

Flower power
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    History doesn't repeat itself but it sure does rhyme especially since so many people refuse to learn from it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's also be aware that segments of the mainstream media are absolutely willing to lie their asses off about events occurring at these protests to push a pro-Israel narrative.

Like, take this story;
    "Jewish Yale student stabbed in eye with Palestinian flag during rowdy protest: ‘Mob behavior’"

This headline is, essentially, a lie.

Here's a video (yeah, Reddit, but Fox pulls a screencap from this video for their article if you want verification, and you'll see why they didn't just link the actual video source);
    https://new.reddit.com/r/Connecticut...t_at_yale_sfw/

The guy's swinging a smallish Palestinian flag, with a round ball top, he accidentally bumps a counterprotester in the face (I guess the eye), causing no damage or harm whatsoever. It's a peaceful protest and this incident didn't change that.

She's also not a random person. She's a journo student who's been actively pro-Israel and spoken out against pro-Palestine movements before; she's not being used by the media, the framing is her own from her own article on her own independent student newspaper, the Yale Free Press. I'm not trying to make this about her, though, which is why I'm not listing her name. You can find it easily enough; it's in the article I linked.
    Last edited by Endus; Yesterday at 01:52 PM.

>.>
    <.<

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weather_Underground

American college students are receiving a second education on peaceful protest.

This comes in the form of time, place, and manner restrictions. You want to camp overnight? Sorry, even if this is done as a peaceful protest, a university is allowed to prohibit camping or otherwise sleeping overnight. Still camp overnight? You risk being arrested.

Bring sound broadcasting equipment? Unis can prohibit it. Stop or threaten students that are transiting the public spaces? Form human chains to block access? Leaves you open to lawful arrest. Do all this as a professor? You’re still subject to the rules.

See also:
    Reporters prevented from documenting the Columbia encampment.

The protestors are playing the classic game of violating rules and then playing the victim when the consequences occur. Their one goal is that some combination of large groups resisting arrest and/or refusing to disperse leads to concomitant lawbreaking on the part of law enforcement. Their big problem is the regular anti-Semitism and Jew-hatred within the protests, in the chants and behavior towards counter protestors or visibly Jewish students and Hamas/Hezbollah flags.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post

This comes in the form of time, place, and manner restrictions. You want to camp overnight? Sorry, even if this is done as a peaceful protest, a university is allowed to prohibit camping or otherwise sleeping overnight. Still camp overnight? You risk being arrested.

Bring sound broadcasting equipment? Unis can prohibit it. Stop or threaten students that are transiting the public spaces? Form human chains to block access? Leaves you open to lawful arrest. Do all this as a professor? You’re still subject to the rules.
    Nope. The purpose of protest is to disrupt. If you're complaining about how disruptive protests are, you're opposed to freedom of speech at a very core level.

The only thing you said that was reasonable was banning explicit, direct threats. That's assault, and a crime. The rest? That's just protest, first amendment expression. You're just inconvenienced, and think that means you should be able to run roughshod over other people's basic rights and freedoms.

10+ Year Old Account

See also:
    Reporters prevented from documenting the Columbia encampment.

The protestors are playing the classic game of violating rules and then playing the victim when the consequences occur. Their one goal is that some combination of large groups resisting arrest and/or refusing to disperse leads to concomitant lawbreaking on the part of law enforcement. Their big problem is the regular anti-Semitism and Jew-hatred within the protests, in the chants and behavior towards counter protestors or visibly Jewish students and Hamas/Hezbollah flags.
    Yeah this is exactly what I am seeing.

That said protest are SUPPOSSED to be inconvenient and are a basic right of the first Amendment. My only issue is when it comes to blocking traffic like ambulances on a highway or major airports, aside from the Anti Semitism which is primarily what I am seeing.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The rest? That's just protest, first amendment expression. You're just inconvenienced, and think that means you should be able to run roughshod over other people's basic rights and freedoms.
    Ah, but don't you see? A college can obviously make rules that are unconstitutional. It says so right there in their rules!

>.>
    <.<

4 Dead in Ohio?

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Yeah this is exactly what I am seeing.

That said protest are SUPPOSSED to be inconvenient and are a basic right of the first Amendment. My only issue is when it comes to blocking traffic like ambulances on a highway or major airports, aside from the Anti Semitism which is primarily what I am seeing.
    There's no evidence that the protests are anti semitic, they have been mostly peaceful. Every protest is going to attract some loons by the law of numbers, the fact that the main stream media focuses on those kooks says more about their agenda than anything else. You are also ignoring the fact that a lot of these protesters are Jewish, many people have lost their minds you now have a Jewish film maker who made a movie about the holocaust accused of this because he doesn't support genocide.

oh goodness me. the Nazi? out here thumbing their nose at college students protesting an ongoing genocide? color me shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post
    It's always the FREEZE PEACH people who are the first to call anyone they don't like terrorist.