Ashbringer Skin Concept Fanart

So I made this little concept fanart of the Ashbringer. It is the first time I make concept art using Photoshop (up until now I had only made some super basic ballpen sketches, you can see some of them here for comparison: https://imgur.com/a/K620l ). I wanted it to be something rather simple so I can manage the lighting and shadows and so on. I also wanted it to be a design I am well familiar with and one that has lots of reference art on the net (And what is one of the most famous weapons out there? Yeah... ). Behold, The Nightbringer!

Feel free to comment and rate it, tear me apart with your criticism if you want. Just keep in mind it is my very first work and anything you say can be used against you when I make my next work xD

Edit: Ah, the "poem" part is also original.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    The idea is cool! I think the arwork itself could be worked, but the premise is awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    An interesting concept to be sure, however I would offer a few design points.

The disc should be further up the blade, as is the general design of the Ashbringer
    The colour palate, being bright gold and silver, seems to detract from the void theme
    The hilt to blade ratio is off, there's too much hilt

I like the rune style, they fit nicely, and are well designed in general.
    I like the general shape of the blade.

Overall well done, but like most things, there is always room for improvement. Don't let that discourage you though, keep doing your art, as you've got a passion and some talent.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Things I see that could use improvement: There should be more blade between the crossguard and the circular cutout. The grip could stand to be a notch shorter than it is now. The bright yellow doesn't seem to match the theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    An interesting concept to be sure, however I would offer a few design points.

The disc should be further up the blade, as is the general design of the Ashbringer
    The colour palate, being bright gold and silver, seems to detract from the void theme
    The hilt to blade ratio is off, there's too much hilt

I like the rune style, they fit nicely, and are well designed in general.
    I like the general shape of the blade.

Overall well done, but like most things, there is always room for improvement. Don't let that discourage you though, keep doing your art, as you've got a passion and some talent.
    Yeah, maybe I should've made the hangle guard dark gray iron or something. I originally intended to make it a light & fire themed skin but decided to go for night/void halfway through.

About the hilt, a friend told it's too long as well, but it is so by design because I've always loved 2H sword designs with longer hilts (https://img00.deviantart.net/b961/i/..._boybalasa.jpg like this babe).

Quote Originally Posted by Shinrael View Post
    About the hilt, a friend told it's too long as well, but it is so by design because I've always loved 2H sword designs with longer hilts (https://img00.deviantart.net/b961/i/..._boybalasa.jpg like this babe).
    It's not the length of the handle by itself that's the issue, it's its length in relation to the rest of the sword. You could either make the blade longer to compensate, or make the crossguard and pommel smaller to fix the scaling (along with possibly making the handle itself thinner). Because right now, it looks more like a dagger than a two-handed sword with a long grip.

A good example of what I mean by the scaling is Cloud's Buster Sword. Even without someone holding it as reference, you can tell at a glance how massive it is because of how thin the grip looks in comparison to the blade (a person has to be able to wrap their fist around it, after all).

Deleted
    It somehow reminds me of a 1990's videogame sword, in design and use of colors.

Could use more detail I think, you did made a solid base design though!
    Some visible wear, damage etc could add a lot to it! Just like in the ones below.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    It's not the length of the handle by itself that's the issue, it's its length in relation to the rest of the sword. You could either make the blade longer to compensate, or make the crossguard and pommel smaller to fix the scaling (along with possibly making the handle itself thinner). Because right now, it looks more like a dagger than a two-handed sword with a long grip.

A good example of what I mean by the scaling is Cloud's Buster Sword. Even without someone holding it as reference, you can tell at a glance how massive it is because of how thin the grip looks in comparison to the blade (a person has to be able to wrap their fist around it, after all).
    That was actually a very nice and comprehensive way to explain it, thanks. I see your point now. Will have that in mind next time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    It somehow reminds me of a 1990's videogame sword, in design and use of colors.

Could use more detail I think, you did made a solid base design though!
    Some visible wear, damage etc could add a lot to it! Just like in the ones below.

True, compared to Blizzard's concept art I am still light years away. ^^"
    Will put more effort and time into the next one, whenever it is (probably not while I am in Japan for a year).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinrael View Post
    True, compared to Blizzard's concept art I am still light years away. ^^"
    Will put more effort and time into the next one, whenever it is (probably not while I am in Japan for a year).
    I dont think you are lightyears away myself. It's amazing how fast you can grow if you are consistant in your practice.

Just grind out your skills and you are on their level before you know it!