Page 1 of 3
LastLast

ONS Reveals U.K. is 490 Billion Poorer than Believed

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-a8002871.html

Would be interested in hearing how this news is being received in the U.K. Can't imagine losing half a trillion feels great.

Deleted
    I think this is important part:
    Meanwhile, investment in the UK by overseas companies and individuals fell from a £120bn surplus in the first half of 2016 to a £25bn deficit over the same period in 2017.
    So looks like investors are moving their money elsewhere and that's the main issue. Yay for Brexit?

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    Quote Originally Posted by Binki View Post
    So looks like investors are moving their money elsewhere and that's the main issue. Yay for Brexit?
    Meanwhile everyone who studied business: Who would've expected this? /s

Quote Originally Posted by Vyuvarax View Post

Would be interested in hearing how this news is being received in the U.K. Can't imagine losing half a trillion feels great.
    "fake remainer news", "talking the country down, need to be more optimistic" and "all money we will get back once we leave the tyrannical EU" have been some popular talking points so far

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzeeyooo View Post
    "fake remainer news", "talking the country down, need to be more optimistic" and "all money we will get back once we leave the tyrannical EU" have been some popular talking points so far
    How are people that stupid? the UK made a net profit from the EU, and theyll have to maintain the same standards if they want to have any hope of trading with the EU, now with tariffs. brexit is a huge net loss for the UK, there is no polishing that turd.

Quote Originally Posted by NihilSustinet View Post
    How are people that stupid? the UK made a net profit from the EU, and theyll have to maintain the same standards if they want to have any hope of trading with the EU, now with tariffs. brexit is a huge net loss for the UK, there is no polishing that turd.
    But it's our turd. That's what's important.... apparently.

How are people that stupid?
    20+ years of repetition that every single problem in the UK is because of the EU + Immigrants will do that to people, unfortunately

20+ years of repetition that every single problem in the UK is because of the EU + Immigrants will do that to people, unfortunately
    only to old people, apparently. im starting to feel like once you hit a certain age, we should just say "you dont have a stake in the future anymore, you no longer have a say" That would fix a ton of problems in the US, too. Boomers are still ruining things for us, too.

Who would've thought that being isolationist and more restrictive in trade could hurt your future economic prospects.

I feel sorry for the young people who've been hijacked by Brexit.
    Retired GM of Temerity - US Top 50 raiding on a strict 3 nights since Ulduar. Check us out!
    https://www.wowprogress.com/guild/us/hyjal/Temerity

Deleted
    It wasn't stupidity exactly. Some people really don't care how fucked the economy is they just hate foreigners. Some people believe in sovereignity to the exclusion of common sense. Some people were genuinely duped by farcical claims about millions going to hospitals rather than the EU.

But a lot of it was people were genuinely given an actual choice and wanted to throw a spanner in the works. They didn't care that the economy was doing OK-they weren't. They wanted change at any cost because they weren't coping.

For similar reasons Corbyn did a lot better than any one expected.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    It wasn't stupidity exactly. Some people really don't care how fucked the economy is they just hate foreigners. Some people believe in sovereignity to the exclusion of common sense. Some people were genuinely duped by farcical claims about millions going to hospitals rather than the EU.

But a lot of it was people were genuinely given an actual choice and wanted to throw a spanner in the works. They didn't care that the economy was doing OK-they weren't. They wanted change at any cost because they weren't coping.

For similar reasons Corbyn did a lot better than any one expected.

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

these would be the same people who are currently pushing for war with Korea atm in the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

Deleted
    You think financial gain will come from a Brexit?

7+ Year Old Account
    To be fair, no one but the witless argued that brexit would be economically beneficial. The main debates were around whether it was worth the cost.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope people brought their Checkbooks, I am sure one or two of those and some I O U's should tidy up.

Hey can they pawn any of the Windsors stuff, the country needs a a few bucks?

What do you think the Royal Family could sell to chip in and help?
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

So in 15 months, brexit has cost the economy more than the total EU contributions since the European Communities Act was passed in 1976. And it hasn't even happened yet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Legendix187- View Post
    He's being sarcastic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    And the fun part is, it was largely the non-Eu immigrants
    Wasn't even that, it was lack of investment in public services which would have been more than adequately funded by said immigrants for their net usage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Legendix187- View Post
    There's this delusion that an entirely unregulated free trade area could be profitable. Which, it might be for the couple dozen people bankrolling that objective.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyuvarax View Post

Brexit was never about the economics it was about sovereignty

I can really imagine the USA being told what to do by a foreign court and a foreign parliament

Not
    Everyone kept saying MoP was shit, but it started at 10M subs. It's big loss was by months 4-6 into MoP, the total loss across those 6 months was only 1.7M compared to WoD losing 2.9M in HALF THE FUCKING TIME. 3 months passed and WoD loses 2.9M players. This is not due to "MMOs dying", but because Warlords of Draenor is a garbage expansion. Cata also lost 2.9M subs across the entire expansion. MoP lost 3.2M across the entire expansion. WoD lost 4.6 Million 7 months after it launched!

Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post

I can really imagine the USA being told what to do by a foreign court and a foreign parliament

Not
    That's because we're proof that systems like the EU works. We are a collection of states, that are unified into one. The EU has its growing pains, much like the US has had. But most of that will be grown out of if it gets the chance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post

Not
    Trade deals will invariably require 3rd party legal oversight, either from something like the ECJ or a bilateral 'court' agreed in the trade deal. So sure, the USA does have to agree to be told what to do by foreign nations and parliaments in regards to products it wishes to export to those markets. Including the EU.

That won't change for the UK on the basis of leaving the EU, it just means we won't get a say on those EU regulations when it comes to regulations on things we wish to export there.