Poll: Good idea or bad?

Thread: Warcraft RPG

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Warcraft RPG

Seeing all the "leaks" and other such speculation, would anyone think an entirely new Warcraft game is in order? I'm not talking about something along the lines of hearthstone, but a full fledged RPG type game like the Witcher. I'm not suggesting that Blizzard kill WoW just for this game, but for Blizzard to release this game as a stand alone. Perhaps set in the recent past or current timeline of World of Warcraft.

I think such an RPG would be cool if it was set in the 10 year period between WCIII and vanilla WoW. With a hero you can play as from some of the races currently available. IE; an orc hero, nelf hero, high elf hero, human hero etc. Each a fleshed out character with their own backstory and voice acting.

Is such an idea bad or good?

I dont exactly see the point.

Yeah imagine an Elder Scrolls style game (but actually good) set in the WoWoverse. It would potentially sell jillions of copies.

That'd be good, yeah.

I'd also take a Diablo RPG. Or a Starcraft one. Or an Overwatch one.

I just want a Blizzard-made single-player RPG.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Any game pre wow in the timeline would have to be set in a time period we have no info on or be non cannon to make a good rpg. If you have to make sure it matches up with the wow timeline then you would have to take away any amount of freedom that would be needed for a good rpg.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Any game pre wow in the timeline would have to be set in a time period we have no info on or be non cannon to make a good rpg. If you have to make sure it matches up with the wow timeline then you would have to take away any amount of freedom that would be needed for a good rpg.
    There are plenty of areas in the game that we didn't see in vanilla, such as twilight highlands, gilneas, and quel'thalas. Who says the most effecting events of the RPG story line have to happen in places such as durotar, dun'morough, and elwynn? Sure we could go there and to the capital cities, but a lot of things can happen in a decade, and if you think about it, the would be RPG would take place nearly 20 years from where we are at in live.

To have a good story you need good writers and interesting characters, not everything has to be world changing for it to be engaging or fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would absolutely love a elder scrolls-esque warcraft RPG, in what time period it would take place is up for debate I get the feeling they wouldn't want to do one to close in time period to WoW however.

This is all metaphorical of course I get the feeling blizzard is very sketchy about having too many games within a single universe as we already have WoW + Hearthstone and WC4 if they ever do one (I highly believe they plan too the RTS team has to be up to something now that SC2 is finished).

Deleted
    Would be great.. but I can't see the eSports angle, so it's not going to happen

I’d love this as well as another pen and paper rpg based off WoW canon.

Deleted
    Again someone who live in the PAST.

I doubt Blizzard is going to make a singleplayer game. They want stuff they can build communities and eSports around.

10+ Year Old Account
    Azeroth as Skyrim? Absolutely. I would love it.

Blizzard doesn't really make single-player games like this but if they did this is, I think, where they would start.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I'd kill for a Soulsborne style horror themed action RPG where you play as stormforged fighting against the Black Empire.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daille View Post
    Again someone who live in the PAST.
    Because single player RPGs won't ever happen again. Right.

If anything a Blizzard rpg would be something new, I'd actually like to see how they fare against Bethesda and Bioware on that front.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arel00 View Post
    Because single player RPGs won't ever happen again. Right.

If anything a Blizzard rpg would be something new, I'd actually like to see how they fare against Bethesda and Bioware on that front.
    Probably way better since they put more passion into the game development.

I'd set it right after the second war.
    Orcs need rounding up. That allows seeing old style Horde and sparks of the New Horde, hatred and bigottry put also compassion by Humans, ...
    Stormwind is being rebuilt and the old inhabitants return. That alone would offer so many opportunities for political intrigue, power-struggles, vermin-clearing, crafting, ...
    And the tensions between the factions, dwarfs and humans and elves all trying to cope with their losses in the war.
    The fallout of the Alterac betrayal, bounties on surviving traitos need collecting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.

I would love a Dark Souls/Bloodborne like game set in Warcraft.

Not only the "hard" gameplay, but the general gritty atmosphere and focus on immersion. No stupid quests to collect 10 bear asses or to farm materials to level up some crafting skill.

There are many dark moments in Warcraft story, but the game just can't portray it properly with its prehistoric engine when the programmers themselves need to jury rig it so immensely.

Why do that, when they can make an expansion to wow which can include all the solo RPG features (it already does to a great extent), and have a plus of having people to pay subscriptions?

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    I'd say that's not entirely true, plus it could also be an interesting way to show the "canon" versions of events. Varian was supposedly the one who took down Onyxia. Would be interesting to fight alongside him in HIS group and not a raid formed of 40 random players. But there is also plenty of stuff I'm sure we just "didn't see" in the past history of WoW. Stuff that happened that was self contained and didn't need the help of random adventurers.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would pay for it.