DOJ settles lawsuits over Tea Party targeting by Obama IRS

Source

The Trump administration, after years of litigation, has settled lawsuits with Tea Party and other conservative groups who say they were unfairly targeted by the IRS under the Obama administration.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced early Thursday that the Justice Department had entered into settlements with Tea Party groups whose tax-exempt status was significantly delayed by the IRS dating back to 2013, “based solely on their viewpoint or ideology.”

The settlements involve payments to the plaintiffs and an apology from the IRS.

The targeting scandal drew heavy attention in 2013 when the IRS admitted it applied extra scrutiny to conservative groups applying for nonprofit status. Lois Lerner, then head of the Exempt Organizations unit responsible, became the public face of the scandal, though other IRS officials were involved as well.

Sessions said that groups with names involving “Tea Party” or “Patriots,” or those with specific policy positions concerning government spending, were subject to “inappropriate criteria” to “screen” applications.

JUDGE ORDERS IRS TO REVEAL WHO TOOK PART IN TEA PARTY TARGETING
    FILE: May 2013: IRS official Lois Lerner on Capitol Hill in Washington.

Former IRS official Lois Lerner said in 2013 that the IRS' practice of applying extra scrutiny to conservative groups 'was wrong.' (AP)

“The IRS’s use of these criteria as a basis for heightened scrutiny was wrong and should never have occurred,” Sessions said in a statement Thursday. “It is improper for the IRS to single out groups for different treatment based on their names or ideological positions.”

While the IRS did not immediately respond to Fox News’ request for comment, court documents show that the agency did offer an apology.

“The IRS admits that its treatment of Plaintiffs during the tax-exempt determination process, including screening their applications based on their names or policy positions, subjecting those applications to heightened scrutiny and inordinate delays, and demanding some Plaintiffs’ information that TIGTA determined was unnecessary to the agency’s determination of their tax-exempt status, was wrong,” the IRS said in court documents. “For such treatment, the IRS expresses its sincere apology.”

The Justice Department’s settlement would pay the claims of each of the over 400 groups in the case. The attorneys for the groups said it was “a great day for the First Amendment,” but noted that day “was too long in coming.”

“The Government’s generous settlement with the Class Plaintiffs fully vindicates their claims that the IRS targeted Tea Party and conservative groups based on their viewpoint,” lead counsel for the conservative groups, Eddie Greim, told Fox News in an email. “However, like Lois Lerner’s stated apology back in 2013, any recent so-called 'apology' by the IRS has little value. That is because the Service continues to suggest that its targeting was really just ‘mismanagement.’”

Greim added: “This story was dismantled in our case. For taxpayers to be truly confident that the IRS has changed, it needs to be truthful about its past abuse of power.”
    The hyper partisan politics is a cancer. I hope the current IRS doesn't do the same thing to liberal groups.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    The hyper partisan politics is a cancer. I hope the current IRS doesn't do the same thing to liberal groups.
    I mean, I probably wouldn't shed a tear if extreme liberal groups got screwed over either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Before people jump in, the question isn't "did the IRS call groups that were clearly political, clearly political?" The question appears mostly to be "did they let other groups get away with it?"

It was not wrong of them to target groups that had an agenda. It was wrong for them to target groups because of what that agenda was. Granted, calling yourself the Tea Party Patriots put a giant fucking target on your back, and they should have been caught for so blatantly breaking nonprofit rules, but that shouldn't let other groups off the hook just because they weren't so fucking stupid naming themselves.

Actually it looks like they did. So where's the apology and damage payments for them?

Guess it only applies for republicans doing shady favors for each other.

Source:
    http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...liberal-groups

I agree. The way you make a big deal out of things that happen / are done to conservatives but don’t give a fuck when it happens to liberals is a massive cancer.

P.S. Liberal groups have always been targeted by the IRS. They just don’t have the same emotional tantrums these conservative groups do.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Before people jump in, the question isn't "did the IRS call groups that were clearly political, clearly political?" The question appears mostly to be "did they let other groups get away with it?"

It was not wrong of them to target groups that had an agenda. It was wrong for them to target groups because of what that agenda was. Granted, calling yourself the Tea Party Patriots put a giant fucking target on your back, and they should have been caught for so blatantly breaking nonprofit rules, but that shouldn't let other groups off the hook just because they weren't so fucking stupid naming themselves.
    So as long as it targets the right, that's OK? Who gives a fuck what their ideology is, you can't have different rules based on feelings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hard for me to muster tears over political groups trying to fleece taxpayers vs abuse of the non-profit rules.

So if part of government delays something for political reasons it's wrong?

That would be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeezy911 View Post
    So as long as it targets the right, that's OK? Who gives a fuck what their ideology is, you can't have different rules based on feelings.
    Glad you agree with him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guess the left wing groups that were also targeted should have sued like little children as well, cause hey, free money from the tax payers right Republicans?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

The IRS should have targeted the objectively political groups so stop crying right wingers
    second
    Fake scandal, the IRS targeted everybody not just these hate groups that are crying because they couldn't fuck over the country by misusing a system.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Guess the left wing groups that were also targeted should have sued like little children as well, cause hey, free money from the tax payers right Republicans?
    But left wingers are pussies member, they cry allot when things don't go their and right-wingers are patriots that would never do something illegal.

Deleted
    They were just doing profiling, and I have been told there ain't nothing morally wrong with that

So, this is basically conservatives paying off other conservatives.

All of this would be settled if they would just get rid of tax-exempt status entirely. I'm tired of these welfare trash groups living off the public dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobb View Post
    Actually it looks like they did. So where's the apology and damage payments for them?

Guess it only applies for republicans doing shady favors for each other.

Source:
    http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...liberal-groups
    This article really needs to not be skipped over.

A new report by Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA) has identified as many as 146 cases in which the Internal Revenue Service may have put liberal-leaning groups under heightened scrutiny, The Washington Post reported.

The report examined cases between 2004 and 2013. A similar earlier report by TIGTA from 2013 said the IRS had singled-out conservative-leaning groups, sparking accusations from Republicans that the Obama administration had improperly targeted political opponents.

The 2013 report examined cases around the same time period. The new TIGTA report is set to be released Thursday. The Post reviewed an advance copy of the report.

The new report identified 146 cases of left-leaning groups being targeted for additional scrutiny because of suspicions that they were engaging in prohibited political activity.

Eighty-three of those groups were chosen because of the IRS's selection criteria, which included groups referencing terms like "Occupy," "Medical Marijuana" and "Progressive," as well as any affiliation with the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN).

Groups that were targeted for more intense scrutiny were subjected to long waiting times and arduous requests for information about their donors and political activities, the Post reported.

The report says that it was "inappropriate" for the IRS to single out groups based on their names, rather than on actual evidence of inappropriate activity, according to the Post.

TIGTA's 2013 report identifying 96 conservative groups that were subjected to increased scrutiny by the IRS sparked outrage among some Republicans and prompted the resignations or retirements of top IRS officials.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ah yes, these were the groups found to have been tunneling "non-profit" untaxable money through to tea party politicians. I'm glad our justice system is functioning so well that such blatant corruption and law breaking is met with "Well you didn't go after THE OTHER GUYS so let us off the hook!"

If I murder someone, I'm just gonna go for a settlement and say "Hey, I know this other guy who murdered someone, and you didn't go after HIM!"

Oh wait, I bet this kind of thing only works when it's the wealthy and/or politicians.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

We are a country of laws, unless there's a buck in it.

All of these groups should lose their tax free status permanently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Brubear View Post
    This article really needs to not be skipped over.
    What the article basically says is: The IRS targeted liberal groups more than they did conservative groups. This whole IRS scandal is just one more case of Trump supporters just flat out lieing.

Considering only liberal groups were stopped from getting a tax exempt status, it doesn't fucking matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Ah yes, these were the groups found to have been tunneling "non-profit" untaxable money through to tea party politicians. I'm glad our justice system is functioning so well that such blatant corruption and law breaking is met with "Well you didn't go after THE OTHER GUYS so let us off the hook!"

If I murder someone, I'm just gonna go for a settlement and say "Hey, I know this other guy who murdered someone, and you didn't go after HIM!"

Oh wait, I bet this kind of thing only works when it's the wealthy and/or politicians.
    Not really how this went down

it's more like ''hey I know this other guy who also murdered somebody but why are aren't you just totally ignoring my murder!!!!!' (insert allot of crying)

Everybody got rightfully targeted but only one side acts like little bitches and whines about it.