Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    If she was able to wedge it into the van, why have her kid ride haphazardly on top of her van with it in the first place? I'm not sure I understand her logic here.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    I feel as though strapping a kid to the roof of a minivan was never socially acceptable. Maybe the bed of a truck but the only parents that put a kid on the roof of the car were the kind of parents that probably didn't care about keeping the kids around.
    America's Funniest Home videos and similars types of shows have numerous examples of similar situations occurring within a family/friend environment. And people still laugh when they see these memories though nowadays you're likely to receive a visit from CPS is you posted a video of a kid taking a waterslide ride off the roof of the house. Back in those days the freedom and experience of thrills kinda fought with what we would consider common sense safety nowadays. It was a "no harm no foul" type of parenting unless there was abuse present, which nowadays the interpretation of abuse is also drastically different.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Well, you know the old saying about what to do when you can't say anything nice. It might be an oldie, but it's still valid.

- - - Updated - - -

They both involve a child strapped down and then put into motion by a machine. One is fine, another gets you prison. There's a logic problem here.
    Well let me put it to you this way, amusement park rides are actually tested to be safe to ride, your car + a bungie cord are not rated as a safe method of travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    - - - Updated - - -

They both involve a child strapped down and then put into motion by a machine. One is fine, another gets you prison. There's a logic problem here.
    Does not matter what a person's opinion is. One is lawful, the other is not. Ignorance of the law is no excuse? She may not serve any prison time, but what she did was clearly careless. That said. I do see your point. For one, a lot of those amusement park rides, kids should not even be doing them. Some of them do have age limits however.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Does not matter what a person's opinion is. One is lawful, the other is not. Ignorance of the law is no excuse? She may not serve any prison time, but what she did was clearly careless. That said. I do see your point. For one, a lot of those amusement park rides, kids should not even be doing them. Some of them do have age limits however.
    If a citizen's opinions don't matter why do we both having a democracy? Let's just let our government do all our thinking for us and tell us what is good and bad. Personally I think government needs to butt out of people's private lives more. She tried something for like 20 seconds, kid wasn't in danger, she decided it wasn't working and stopped, and the state thinks that's worth 5 years of her life?
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If a citizen's opinions don't matter why do we both having a democracy? Let's just let our government do all our thinking for us and tell us what is good and bad. Personally I think government needs to butt out of people's private lives more. She tried something for like 20 seconds, kid wasn't in danger, she decided it wasn't working and stopped, and the state thinks that's worth 5 years of her life?
    I never meant your opinion did not matter at all. I meant you may think a law is not just or wrong, but that of itself will not get it changed. Of course if enough do and the elected officials agree, it can get changed. But this is one I do not think would. It is a matter of safety for a child. I do not think she should serve any jail time. But you can not ignore it ether. She needs to learn, this is not a acceptable behavior with a child. A good chewing out by the judge and a small fine for this first time offense would be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I never meant your opinion did not matter at all. I meant you may think a law is not just or wrong, but that of itself will not get it changed. Of course if enough do and the elected officials agree, it can get changed. But this is one I do not think would. It is a matter of safety for a child. I do not think she should serve any jail time. But you can not ignore it ether. She needs to learn, this is not a acceptable behavior with a child. A good chewing out by the judge and a small fine for this first time offense would be enough.
    I can agree with that. I'm very much opposed to the 'prison time for every crime' thing that so many politicians think the people want to hear.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.