Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Blizzard disabled Census functionality today

Looks like using Who list now requires player interaction so addons cannot do it automatically anymore.

Tbh on 1 hand I get it as it just makes the imbalance worse, but on the other hand it's pretty low to just conceal that information

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    Looks like using Who list now requires player interaction so addons cannot do it automatically anymore.

Tbh on 1 hand I get it as it just makes the imbalance worse, but on the other hand it's pretty low to just conceal that information
    Probably because that information is wildly inaccurate and used to spin up wild forum conspiracies that people actually take seriously. A bit like getting Trump elected started as a SA troll.

People will just use Google trends or other things to discuss population, so if its an attempt to stop wow census concepts, its a stupid one.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Looks like who itself is broken, I tried to /who a guild and for an hour it attempted to search and failed

Timeout on result of 'guild' - retrying... over and over then it would finally do Result of "/who guild" and the list would be blank

15+ Year Old Account

They are not concealing anything its a shit addon that has never been accurate or useful and the only people that ever use it use to stir up shit on the forums this one and the offical forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    People will just use Google trends or other things to discuss population, so if its an attempt to stop wow census concepts, its a stupid one.
    I dout its the concept they are shutting down here its the implementation it was never very accurate because of its use of /who as its way to intake data.
    Last edited by Firatha; 2019-09-20 at 05:52 AM.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Firatha View Post
    They are not concealing anything its a shit addon that has never been accurate or useful and the only people that ever use it use to stir up shit on the forums this one and the offical forums.
    The addon itself does exactly what it advertises - it enumerates everyone on your faction online at the time of scan. Aggregates are inaccurate, but not useless.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vampyrr View Post
    Looks like who itself is broken, I tried to /who a guild and for an hour it attempted to search and failed

Timeout on result of 'guild' - retrying... over and over then it would finally do Result of "/who guild" and the list would be blank
    If you have Census enabled then it's constantly trying to do some /who and it times out your attempts. Disabled the addon and /who should work again normally.

Quote Originally Posted by Firatha View Post
    Your attitude towards census is poor. Census should be allowed. By banning a real in-game census, they actually make your problem WORSE because they will rely on more sketchy data. But it won't ever stop. The only way to stop the speculation is to release the data.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Your attitude towards census is poor. Census should be allowed. By banning a real in-game census, they actually make your problem WORSE because they will rely on more sketchy data. But it won't ever stop. The only way to stop the speculation is to release the data.
    Read the 2nd part I directed at you I have no problem with the concept of us finding way to see the what the population plays as long as the info is accurate people treated the addons useing /who as accurate and have been waving it around as proof for all kinds of things.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

I have no problem with an actual census, but the addons spam the server with information requests. It can't be good for stability.

Im gonna go ahead and guess that an addon doing hundreds of /who creates alot of work for the server.
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    Im gonna go ahead and guess that an addon doing hundreds of /who creates alot of work for the server.
    Doubtful, auction house alone will be an order of magnitude more data required to pull and transmit. It's a blip really.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah. They've made adjustments to these sort of API calls in the past because they were putting unnecessary strain on the servers.

15+ Year Old Account
    Doubtful, auction house alone will be an order of magnitude more data required to pull and transmit. It's a blip really.
    THey have already had to limit API calls for addons like this in the past but I but I dout thats the case here.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019

Depends entirely on how these are coded. There was a blue post a while back about how at least in the early days of wow the /who command was responsible for alot of the server load issues due how it was coded back then.

How it works today i have no idea, but back then iirc the post said that everytime some did a /who the server did a request of every single player online to then compile into a list and return the hits.
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

They have turned off add ons in the past that are constantly searching/inspecting people because of the strain it puts on the servers. That might have absolutely nothing to do with these add ons this time around. If they have to kill a few add ons for stable servers and to cut down on lag so be it.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoMana View Post
    Probably because that information is wildly inaccurate and used to spin up wild forum conspiracies that people actually take seriously.
    Honestly, it is just another vaccant number system. It cannot be support, confirmed or denied, and it ends up causing more distress for its faulty display of information.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Good - maybe it’ll stop the shit posting then.

People understand how the addon works right? No one is claiming its 100% accurate. Even the websites have disclaimers on them. But with enough scans, it's a pretty good source of info. Not 100% accurate obviously but I'd say the general trends it presents are true. Might be 2.9 to 1 horde to ally ratio instead of the presented 3.1 horde to ally ratio but either way, that server is still horde dominated. Cant blame ppl for wanting to know the population of the server they're on, especially during the window of open xfers.

Depends entirely on how these are coded. There was a blue post a while back about how at least in the early days of wow the /who command was responsible for alot of the server load issues due how it was coded back then.

How it works today i have no idea, but back then iirc the post said that everytime some did a /who the server did a request of every single player online to then compile into a list and return the hits.
    It should be a call to the database regardless. They might have improved the search algorithm but at the end of the day constant requests to the server are bound to make an impact even if it's mininal

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampyrr View Post

If you use an outdated WIM (windows instant messenger) /who bugs out for you. Got the updated version from the website because Twitch didn't have it, and it fixed it.