Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Taeldorian View Post
    The whole reason I made the thread is to get some input and see what peoples thoughts are on this. That includes you too.

Quest helper is definitely a problem. It’s not about the quests being straightforward it’s about them being relavent. You explored the zones, you took the time to do all the quests, etc. However, the quest helper will tell you what to ignore and how to efficiently level without “wasting time” on certain quests. But that “wasted time” is what made the questing experience interesting as you could pick up some really interesting quests by running around. The quest helper completely gets rid of that and gives you a linear path to follow.

DBM was around back in vanilla, yes. However it wasn’t nearly as developed as it is now. It’s had 10+ years to grow and add new functions. The DBM back in vanilla was simple and didn’t trivialize the encounters, however the dbm we have now will definitely trivialize the encounters. The bosses are too simple for the tools we have now.

I’m not sure if they will add BC servers and make it a progressive server. If so that’s absolutely fantastic I’d play in a heartbeat. However, they are specifically calling this a “classic server” with the intent to make vanilla playable. They’ve never mentioned anything about a progressive server. Honestly rolling everything back to vanilla is apparently very hard for them to do and will take a long time, I can’t see them doing that for every expansion we’ve had like BC-Wrath, etc. That’s why I believe it’ll only be classic and people (including myself) would get bored of it eventually with nothing new to look forward to.

It’s all good dude. I’m not a naysayer for either the main game or classic. I love WoW whether it’s retail or vanilla. I’m just nervous to spend a lot of time on a classic server that has finite content (aka no expansions). I also don’t think it’ll be the original experience, there’s really no way to get that back. Everything is so much more developed now so we have addons that will trivialize a lot of interesting parts vanilla had to offer (like leveling).
    I levelled once to 60 on a private using the joanas guide, it was a complete 1-60 guide telling me exactly what to do I had fun but felt I was to "stuck" to the guide, a few months later I decided to level up again, but without using any guide I just followed where the quests took me and if I ran out of quests I would goo to a new zone with my level, I had the time of my life, so my advice is do what you find fun, I would recommend playing the first 1-60 with no addons, in the end you'll probably only waste 10-20 hours if you don't use the optimal path and you'll have more fun.

I really don't agree with you on the DBM matter, I think it will work as it did back then since now most encounter are based on scripted set timer that happen to the second, in vanilla it was a lot more random, you could know what was coming next, but the timer were never correct it was more of an heads up of what was happening next.

I believe that these server are going to be really successful and blizz will eventually release TBC and WotLK

It defensively won't be like the original experience, but it will be close to it, you'll still make lots of friends, invest a lot of time to progress, feel accomplished when you reach 60, get excited about loot again, etc, the core of the game will be there

Quote Originally Posted by nelf View Post
    It's not about making things better than they are now, it's about playing classic wow. It was what it was, deal with it
    My post wasn't about that. It was about how utterly dysfunctional things were back then. That's why I don't get the nostalgia. Some things in Vanilla were crap including many class specs.

Quite frankly, Vanilla was only good for certain classes. Some people will appreciate that. I'm sure there's a Rogue in my guild who's looking forward to getting his World of Roguecraft on. I'm sure there's Pally's out there who won't want to play because they'll get turned into debuffbots.

I'll try it out but I don't really expect much from it.

The PvP not the raids are what will keep this alive for years if its genuinely a vanilla client and not some mock up shit with current engine or something. Especially if it fully restores classic AV. It may be niche but regardless I predict a strong if eventually small hyper dedicated community.

Quote Originally Posted by jpedrote52 View Post
    I levelled once to 60 on a private using the joanas guide, it was a complete 1-60 guide telling me exactly what to do I had fun but felt I was to "stuck" to the guide, a few months later I decided to level up again, but without using any guide I just followed where the quests took me and if I ran out of quests I would goo to a new zone with my level, I had the time of my life, so my advice is do what you find fun, I would recommend playing the first 1-60 with no addons, in the end you'll probably only waste 10-20 hours if you don't use the optimal path and you'll have more fun.

I really don't agree with you on the DBM matter, I think it will work as it did back then since now most encounter are based on scripted set timer that happen to the second, in vanilla it was a lot more random, you could know what was coming next, but the timer were never correct it was more of an heads up of what was happening next.

I believe that these server are going to be really successful and blizz will eventually release TBC and WotLK

It defensively won't be like the original experience, but it will be close to it, you'll still make lots of friends, invest a lot of time to progress, feel accomplished when you reach 60, get excited about loot again, etc, the core of the game will be there
    I’ll definitely be doing what I find fun. I’ll be enjoying the leveling but also will reach end game. I am pretty excited to get back to the original way loot worked. That’s got me pretty hyped up for sure.

I’m not sure if they will release TBC and WoTLK. I feel like if that was their intent they would’ve said something about it right now, however they haven’t. I think their intent is fairly simple: make a classic server for those who want classic and that’s it. However if it does become progressive that would be insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Alienshroom View Post
    The PvP not the raids are what will keep this alive for years if its genuinely a vanilla client and not some mock up shit with current engine or something. Especially if it fully restores classic AV. It may be niche but regardless I predict a strong if eventually small hyper dedicated community.
    Even though I’ve been a Pally main since BC I’m excited to try the old school pvp. Though I’ve seen videos and also heard about it being extremely unbalanced but I guess that’s what made it fun at the time.

There is no desired effect aside from getting input from people that played during vanilla or don’t believe any of what I’ve stated will have an effect on the classic server.

If you actually read any of that you’d see that I am interested in it and will be playing it myself but a few things have me concerned/nervous about investing a lot of time in it.

Nowhere in my post did I say it will suck, it will fail or nobody should be playing it since that’s what you’re saying my motive apparently is. I just want some info/opinions and that’s it. Whether you play or not isn’t up to me and I don’t care either. Personally as I said I’ll be trying it out but I’m unsure about investing time primarily due to the “finite content” part of my post.
    But the point you miss is that if you actually read between the liens of my post is..

No one really cares what you got to say. Besides people that cannot stop taking the bait.

LuL.

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    But the point you miss is that if you actually read between the liens of my post is..

No one really cares what you got to say. Besides people that cannot stop taking the bait.

LuL.
    Obviously people care or they wouldn’t respond. If you didn’t give a shit you wouldn’t be responding.

Why would I try and read between the lines of your post? Lmao dude if you don’t give a fuck then don’t post?

People who spend their time shitposting and typing “lul” everywhere though aren’t really the people I’m looking for opinions from so you can stop responding if you want. Coming here to tell me nobody cares when plenty have responded and I’ve had a few good discussions with people already is a waste of time.
    Last edited by Taeldorian; 2017-11-04 at 05:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That’s not at all what anyone is saying. People are praising the leveling in vanilla. Go look in any of the threads here man. There plenty that praise the leveling and want the “good leveling experienc back. Even the streamers that have spearheaded the movement say the exact same thing about leveling. It’s a very big part of vanilla according to pretty much everyone I’ve seen talk about it.

You’re not coming off as a chill dude though you seem really upset. So conversating with you doesn’t really seem like fun so I’m not interested in responding too much more. Not sure why you’re all mad, I’m not saying vanilla was shit and I’m not saying it will fail. I’m just saying it will be different due to many things like addons, player mentality changing over 10 years, no new content (like expansions), etc.
    As for first part, once the rosy goggles will drop soon enough those who praised that shit will be hammering it just as vigorously. Out of all classes I leveled in Vanilla, the only one that was "fun" was warlock, because I could run around tabdotting shit 24/7, which was by far the best way to level.

As for your second comment, I'll fully disregard it. I am sorry I burst your bubble, but you have no clue about Vanilla and how it was and what addons did there and what questing was there. All you do is see some vids from raving tardies hallucinating about how it was. Nothing to do with reality.

Obviously people care or they wouldn’t respond. If you didn’t give a shit you wouldn’t be responding.

Why would I try and read between the lines of your post? Lmao dude if you don’t give a fuck then don’t post?

People who spend their time shitposting and typing “lul” everywhere though aren’t really the people I’m looking for opinions from so you can stop responding if you want. Coming here to tell me nobody cares when plenty have responded and I’ve had a few good discussions with people already is a waste of time.
    Or maybe I am just tossing bait and watching how far down the road this can go.

No one cares. LuL.

Me replaying Ocarina of Time will never be the same experience as when I played it the first time in my youth.

That doesn't mean I dont still crack out my N64 and enjoy the hell out of it from time to time though

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    As for first part, once the rosy goggles will drop soon enough those who praised that shit will be hammering it just as vigorously. Out of all classes I leveled in Vanilla, the only one that was "fun" was warlock, because I could run around tabdotting shit 24/7, which was by far the best way to level.

As for your second comment, I'll fully disregard it. I am sorry I burst your bubble, but you have no clue about Vanilla and how it was and what addons did there and what questing was there. All you do is see some vids from raving tardies hallucinating about how it was. Nothing to do with reality.
    Your not bursting anyone’s bubble. I’m here for info and you’re giving me some whether it’s in a really shitty way because you can’t conversate like a normal person or not, it’s still info that I’m looking for.

I guess everyone is a raving tardie then since almost everyone on here claims the leveling experience was amazing and they want it back. The youtubers/streamers that were pushing for this are saying the exact same thing. You are the first person I’ve heard say the leveling was garbage and everyone rushed through it, I’ve heard the opposite from basically everyone else.

Either way it’s all good. If you’re right then you’re right, we’ll see when it launches.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thornquist View Post
    Me replaying Ocarina of Time will never be the same experience as when I played it the first time in my youth.

That doesn't mean I dont still crack out my N64 and enjoy the hell out of it from time to time though
    That’s definitely very true. But the ocarina of time didn’t change from the last time you played it. Addons/finite content are two things that will be very different from 12 years ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    since almost everyone on here claims the leveling experience was amazing and they want it back.
    All I can say is lol.

Seriously. I have this sick interest in Classic just because it will finally shut up those morons praising it to no end - Vanilla was shit and it only was "awesome" back at the time only because everything else was even bloody worse.

Things like Priston Tale, Lineage II, EQ2 made people cry tears of blood, so relatively tame Vanilla WoW was a breath of the fresh air at the time, but ultimately it was terrible looking back at it.

What a fun questing! I don't get deleveled and lose all my loot if I die and there are some NPCs outside, revolutionary!

Even though I’ve been a Pally main since BC I’m excited to try the old school pvp. Though I’ve seen videos and also heard about it being extremely unbalanced but I guess that’s what made it fun at the time.
    Yes but you could still carry hard even with underdog builds if skilled and it if its actually vanilla leveling and gearing it will be far more annoying to swap characters making it so you see less of whats the flavor of the month. Some specs and builds dont awaken to full power until well into many many days played due to gearing length.

Addons is fixable. Remove the option to make your own addons. Put some premade addons (the popular ones, that existed back then) into the game. In the character screen, you can choose to enable/disable them.
    No new content. Well. yeah. You can still release the patches every 6 month or so, so that you dont skip stuff, but a vanilla server is not promising endless new content. I dont think the intent is for us to play on them forever. Just .. every now and then when we feel like it. Just like we put in lords of the rings every now and then. I never expect frodo to suddendly be like: Hey, this time, lets not go to morder!"

Better guides and more knowledgable playerbase is definetely true. Vanilla serves cant recreate the mistery feeling, that made vanilla great. They are a nostalgia trip. One that is alot of fun, if you avoid the OGOG players and bring alot of friends.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

That’s definitely very true. But the ocarina of time didn’t change from the last time you played it. Addons/finite content are two things that will be very different from 12 years ago.
    First of all, Ocarina of Time has finite content. I play it to completion and then I'm done. I dont see how that makes Vanilla any different. Im fine with "finishing" the game.

Second, addons are optionable. I have never needed them to enjoy Vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Thornquist View Post
    First of all, Ocarina of Time has finite content. I play it to completion and then I'm done. I dont see how that makes Vanilla any different. Im fine with "finishing" the game.

Second, addons are optionable. I have never needed them to enjoy Vanilla.
    Very true. Never said they were necessary. I won’t be using the questing addons but that doesn’t mean they aren’t changing anything.

Secondly, original vanilla didn’t have finite content. There was more once you were done in the form of an expansion. That won’t be here this time around so that’s bound to cause more boredom.

You may not relate to anything I said and that’s perfectly fine and very good as well.

Quote Originally Posted by owbu View Post
    (the popular ones, that existed back then)
    Healbot and Decursive?

Healbot and Decursive?
    bam mod! (that was vanilla, right :>?)
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Quote Originally Posted by owbu View Post
    bam mod! (that was vanilla, right :>?)
    I know the guy who wrote that mod. At least he told me that he was the guy writing it.

I don't know if it was mentioned but shamans had a bug that made windfury proc a lot during vanilla. This made shamans real OP in PVP. The shamans were so upset when Blizz fixed the bug that players made death threats, it was like the first huge nerf.

I doubt they'll put the windfury proc bug in.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland