Thread: Why Void Elfs?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why Void Elfs?

The argument people had against high elves being playable was "there's only a few thousand of them that aren't blood elves". Alleria is the only one we've seen of the elves, who has mastered void. Did she literally have time to train tens of thousands of elves in the span of some months?

Monkey's paw, bitch.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastreus View Post
    The argument people had against high elves being playable was "there's only a few thousand of them that aren't blood elves". Alleria is the only one we've seen of the elves, who has mastered void. Did she literally have time to train tens of thousands of elves in the span of some months?
    You don't know the time difference - it may be years, not months.

You don't know what training means in this case - it may have taken a few days because she already knows what the 'transition' means.

Who says there is tens of thousands? Who said there was tens of thousands of Demon Hunters or Death Knights? We have to remember there is probably going to be a 2-5 year time gap between Legion and BFA. So maybe she's got herself a full time academy and cranked out a couple hundred already.

Months? Have you see Anduin? He's not a teenager anymore lol

It seems these events take place very shortly after the argus events, if we go by the novel. Sylvannas was planning a stormwind attack, and it can be assumed, alliance preemptively struck to prevent this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spotnick View Post
    Months? Have you see Anduin? He's not a teenager anymore lol
    I don't know, he looked about 12 to me.

The reason we got void elves instead of high elves is because high elves would destroy faction balance, while void elves will only damage it.

The fact that Blizzard chose to use void elves instead of high elves supports this point; they realize that if they added high elves, players would reroll Alliance in droves and faction balance would go back to the atrociously broken classic days.

Basically, they chose void elves specifically because they are not as appealing as high elves. So if you are upset about it and on the fence about rerolling one, they accomplished their role correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    The reason we got void elves instead of high elves is because high elves would destroy faction balance, while void elves will only damage it.

The fact that Blizzard chose to use void elves instead of high elves supports this point; they realize that if they added high elves, players would reroll Alliance in droves and faction balance would go back to the atrociously broken classic days.

Basically, they chose void elves specifically because they are not as appealing as high elves. So if you are upset about it and on the fence about rerolling one, they accomplished their role correctly.
    As far as I'm aware, most servers have been horde dominant since wrath, these days.

As far as I'm aware, most servers have been horde dominant since wrath, these days.

51-49 in favor of the alliance according to realm pop, it's balanced.

Which is why void elves were even considered. It won't be a dramatic adjustment, but enough to tide things over without breaking it either way. I strongly suspect there will be more Alliance than Horde by the end of this coming expansion even with void elves instead of high elves. Already I am seeing lots and lots of people talking about transferring or complaining that their given class isn't available to void elves (paladins, for instance), et cetera.

They'll eventually add Ogres for the horde and shift the balance back.

lorewise they may not be as many as "tens of thousands" but just a few of them, in any case, if she brought the elves to the nether, she has all the time she needs to train them, and high elves just as her are inmortal so their age doesnt really matter

Quote Originally Posted by Halfdrop View Post
    51-49 in favor of the alliance according to realm pop, it's balanced.
    Very balanced indeed, taken from wowprogress EU-English from the top 10 populated realms 4 are alliance dominated, 6 horde, and if we sort by raid progress not population, only 2 are alliance dominated, 8 horde.

Take US (excluding brazilian / oceanian) top 10, again, only 2 alliance realms (Sargeras and Stormrage), if we go by population, goes to 4 (add Proudmoore and Dalaran), in each case it's 60% to 80% Horde bias and the more hardcore you go (where your realm actually matters contrary to being casual where everything is CRZ), the less Alliance options you see.

Blood Elves already skewed population towards the Horde because of their looks, but after racial revamp (removing mana tap stacking to be able to arcane torrent) and m+ addition to the game where silences shine, Blood Elves became THE race for both looks and racials, now add demon hunters who can't be humans (most popular alliance race) but can be blood elves (most popular horde race) and we get even more horde bias.

So far we don't know the racials of Void Elves (all I saw was the Highmountain Tauren and Lightforged Draenei), neither do we know the Nightborne ones, but I really hope it's not gonna be another racial shit show. However since race change = profit for Blizzard, I wouldn't bet on it. We've already seen fotm Trolls during throne of thunder and then racial getting nerfed, fotm Humans in WOD pvp, same story it got nerfed, and so forth. Put OP racials, make people pay for racechange, then nerf it after and count the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    Very balanced indeed, taken from wowprogress EU-English from the top 10 populated realms 4 are alliance dominated, 6 horde, and if we sort by raid progress not population, only 2 are alliance dominated, 8 horde.

Take US (excluding brazilian / oceanian) top 10, again, only 2 alliance realms (Sargeras and Stormrage), if we go by population, goes to 4 (add Proudmoore and Dalaran), in each case it's 60% to 80% Horde bias and the more hardcore you go (where your realm actually matters contrary to being casual where everything is CRZ), the less Alliance options you see.

Blood Elves already skewed population towards the Horde because of their looks, but after racial revamp (removing mana tap stacking to be able to arcane torrent) and m+ addition to the game where silences shine, Blood Elves became THE race for both looks and racials, now add demon hunters who can't be humans (most popular alliance race) but can be blood elves (most popular horde race) and we get even more horde bias.

So far we don't know the racials of Void Elves (all I saw was the Highmountain Tauren and Lightforged Draenei), neither do we know the Nightborne ones, but I really hope it's not gonna be another racial shit show. However since race change = profit for Blizzard, I wouldn't bet on it. We've already seen fotm Trolls during throne of thunder and then racial getting nerfed, fotm Humans in WOD pvp, same story it got nerfed, and so forth. Put OP racials, make people pay for racechange, then nerf it after and count the money.
    But the Blood Elves didn't skew the population in favor of the Horde... They evened it out.

The balance of racials is a different topic IMO, if Horde racials are OP they should be looked at. But most people pick races based on looks and that's what truly determines faction balance imo.

Also, from the stats I see, of the top 10 most populated servers only Tichondrius, Illidan and Area 52 are Horde favored.

Quote Originally Posted by Khain View Post
    They'll eventually add Ogres for the horde and shift the balance back.
    LOL hehe! ^_^

I remember saying something to that effect durring BC about how people complaining about the Alliance Gnomes getting no love. I said "Jesus, they fixed it so you don't swim in the Black Morass anymore - how much MORE do you want!?" :P

Also, from the stats I see, of the top 10 most populated servers only Tichondrius, Illidan and Area 52 are Horde favored.
    Top 10 US-American realms by population from wowprogress:
    Ally: Stormrage, Sargeras, Proudmoore, Dalaran
    Horde: Illidan, Area52, Zul'jin, Thrall, Tichondrius, Mal'ganis

- - - Updated - - -

if Horde racials are OP they should be looked at.
    Should be, but will they? Blood Elf racial is a massive advantage since mythic+ was implemented into the game, it has no cast time and no diminishing returns unlike Tauren racial, and also gives you class resource which is useful for any class with resource pooling benefit. Tons of interrupts didn't matter as much when we didn't have mythic+, but now they do. I'd imagine it's very handy in pvp as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SexyManipulator View Post
    You don't know the time difference - it may be years, not months.

You don't know what training means in this case - it may have taken a few days because she already knows what the 'transition' means.
    No expansion has jumped years

5+ Year Old Account
    So... um... It's going to be years or even decades of time skip during which the Void Elves are trained...

... In the same Time-Dilation BS that Turalyon and Alleria dealt with where they spent 1,000 years fighting the Legion since Warcraft 2's expansion.

There may be millions of elves by that time! Waiting to be vomited forth into Azeroth like a pointy eared PLAGUE.

10+ Year Old Account
    because people loved the alleria event but blizzard didn't want a new class
    -Proffesional Necromancer-