Deleted

Protection warrior

Heyo people!

I’ve decided to start tanking again and wanted to know how the protection spec is for warriors these days. I dont really see myself as a end game player but I like doing hc/mythic raids but mostly enjoy doing m+ with my mates. So, how is the warrior protection spec in comparison to other tank classes? Since I have to start over I would like your input on this. I really enjoyed playing prot warrior earlier but also played DK tank. Is there a more efficient tank that is far superior than warrior and dk or are all the tanks the same? Since I like playing most classes my question is what tank is the most viable in the current state of the game?

Thank you in advance,
    Luffarbob

Deleted
    Every tank is viable unless we are talking about very high m+ keys (~20), then there are favorites.
    Prot warrior is good enough, I'm playing it as an offspec (940 equipped with fury stats distirbution) with guildies and friends and while playing fairly casually am able to complete +15 keys, which will be required to get the best rewards from weekly cache once Antorus comes out. Can't talk about Mythic ToS viability since I have a no experience as a tank but afaik warriors are doing fine as well.

/edit If you have a dk tank as well, you may probably consider playing dk, since they are much more wanted in very high keys (utility, providing grips and brez, also having a large hp pool) and are good enough in raids.
    Last edited by mmoc097bcc2a5a; 2017-11-09 at 01:22 AM.

Deleted
    Thanks alot for your input. I also have a druid that Inconcider tanking with, how are the druid tanks equal to dk and warrior?

Quote Originally Posted by Luffarbob View Post
    Thanks alot for your input. I also have a druid that Inconcider tanking with, how are the druid tanks equal to dk and warrior?
    I mean there's very little hard evidence on whats 'actually the best' but from my perspective (6/9mythic tos +20ish mythic +)
    Raids - bears + monks > dk > dh + war > pally
    mythic + T1 - bears/dk/dh t2 - the rest

Quote Originally Posted by Morg View Post
    I mean there's very little hard evidence on whats 'actually the best' but from my perspective (6/9mythic tos +20ish mythic +)
    Raids - bears + monks > dk > dh + war > pally
    mythic + T1 - bears/dk/dh t2 - the rest
    I thought monks were pretty good in m+ judging by M+ Invitational? I mean that could be random thing happened at the end of t20 and they won't be that good in t21 or I am misjudging their viability by looking at few top performers with specific party comps.

Quote Originally Posted by GorkAndMork View Post
    I thought monks were pretty good in m+ judging by M+ Invitational? I mean that could be random thing happened at the end of t20 and they won't be that good in t21 or I am misjudging their viability by looking at few top performers with specific party comps.
    Yeah i'm pretty sure monks are fantastic as well. I imagine they didnt get taken to the later stages of M+ Inv due to battle res more than anything else probably as good as the others in hindsight

Quote Originally Posted by GorkAndMork View Post
    They did good, but keep in mind they also had t19 935 gear pieces. Dunno what gear they equipped with the BrM, but like your friends said, I think the brez was the deciding factor.

They are all super viable and incredibly close in terms of performance.

If you are playing casually - as in just heroic raids, maybe a few mythic raids and mythic+ of any level - then there's not much need to pick a specific one.

If you're going for something super competitive though then you aren't just looking at yourself but building a team and your tank choice should be based around your other team members.

That said I think DK is the best all-rounder for M+. I think it has the highest dps, grasp is amazing for engineering large trash pulls, the self healing is fantastic and you always have some sort of AoE up for aggro.

Warriors are also in a pretty good spot with rallying cry and a solid choice between dps and survivability in the talent options and probably the best mobility in the game right now between charge and leap.

The best thing for you to do would be to hop into some random heroics or look for some mythic dungeon groups and play each then commit to the one you like best. Or just play them both, Legion is in that spot where you've got a lot of leeway for alts.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post

If you are playing casually - as in just heroic raids, maybe a few mythic raids and mythic+ of any level - then there's not much need to pick a specific one.

If you're going for something super competitive though then you aren't just looking at yourself but building a team and your tank choice should be based around your other team members.

That said I think DK is the best all-rounder for M+. I think it has the highest dps, grasp is amazing for engineering large trash pulls, the self healing is fantastic and you always have some sort of AoE up for aggro.

Warriors are also in a pretty good spot with rallying cry and a solid choice between dps and survivability in the talent options and probably the best mobility in the game right now between charge and leap.

The best thing for you to do would be to hop into some random heroics or look for some mythic dungeon groups and play each then commit to the one you like best. Or just play them both, Legion is in that spot where you've got a lot of leeway for alts.
    What's this rallying cry you're talking about?

Warlords of Draenor just called, and they want their talent back.

10+ Year Old Account

Agreed, this is great advice. I would definitely recommend playing around more with everything you have and choosing the playstyle that suits you best.

At the highest level, Warrior is probably the most complex tank due to the degree of cooldown management required, but beneath that extreme end, they're one of the simplest. Spec Devastator, maintain Shield Block, use Shield Slam and Thunder Clap on cooldown, spend Rage on Ignore Pain for defense, Revenge for offense. That's it!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nicbizz View Post
    What's this rallying cry you're talking about?
    They're posting from a time machine!

Quote Originally Posted by Mmaadder View Post
    Warlords of Draenor just called, and they want their talent back.
    You really made an account just to call me out on that?

Wow. I'm either impressed or sad.

Possibly both, like a confused puppy.

I hope you're proud of yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiz View Post
    They did good, but keep in mind they also had t19 935 gear pieces. Dunno what gear they equipped with the BrM, but like your friends said, I think the brez was the deciding factor.
    top tank currently according to raider.io is a monk. there just arent many of them out there.