Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomads View Post
    That's fine... you'll see if you actually play Classic. Let's just hope you don't become a misinformed raid leader who perpetuates your misinformed understanding of class mechanics.
    https://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#s

Holy paladins can just put 5 points in ret for improved might lol.

Quote Originally Posted by bmjclark View Post
    https://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#s

Holy paladins can just put 5 points in ret for improved might lol.
    That's completely true, totally forgot that it's on the first tier. That guys argument just falls short so easily.

Deleted
    Druid tanks were not viable until very late in vanilla.

Especially not on Horde without Fear Ward.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Knolan View Post
    Paladin - Decent passive damage reduction, best instant AoE threat generation due to holy shield and consecration, making it a quite ok dungeon tank. Does not have a taunt and has mana issues, making it a bad tank for raid fights.

If you disagree with anything I said, please point where I am wrong, I am really interested in the discussion.
    Most bosses in Vanilla were Taunt immune.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by niil945 View Post
    Anyone talking about raiding in BC and saying pally tanks were great didn't play one. I started BC healing and swapped to tanking when we had problems keeping a second tank around early in Serpentshrine. We kept gearing people up with resist gear and they'd quit and take the resist gear with them so I decided to tank so we could stop farming elemental plateau. I felt inferior to warriors in almost every way. There were 3 specific things I very distinctly remember being good at in BC, Prince in Kara during progression because he dual wielded and could crush warriors but couldn't crush pallies (at least until the warrior overgeared the encounter and then I was irrelevant again), the giant boss with the murlock mobs that would come in where I was on pickup trash duty, and then Hyjal trash. Everything else I was okay at but warriors did better. Pally aoe snap agro was far superior to warriors. At the same time, our warrior tank had a Thunderfury from classic and he used it all through BC and there was nothing I could do to steal agro from him on single target aside from taunt and then he would just get it back a few seconds later.
    Pally tanks were becoming a thing later in BC in Sunwell.

I tanked Muru realmpool first and also on the skeleton dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by shuubi View Post
    Because the other tanks were forced to be healers.
    FTFY

+10salt
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

I believe we are having a miss understanding about terms here. The tl; dr; version of vanilla tanking is the following:

Warrior - Best tank for a single target due to shield block (which makes it immune to critical hits/crushing blows), good single target threat generation due to sunder armor spam, bad AoE threat generation.
    Druid - Great passive reduction, so it is a good tank for several non-boss mobs, as they can't crush blow and have lower crit chance (also, warrior's shield block won't be that powerful here because shield block has charges). Druid has the best threat generation of the game since it generates more rage than a warrior and has higher critical. It is not used on progression as a boss tank because it wouldn't survive.
    Paladin - Decent passive damage reduction, best instant AoE threat generation due to holy shield and consecration, making it a quite ok dungeon tank. Does not have a taunt and has mana issues, making it a bad tank for raid fights.

If you disagree with anything I said, please point where I am wrong, I am really interested in the discussion.
    Warrior - Best threat generation in game because of gearing. Even with Resist, it didn't offset the stat priority for Plate wearing tanks. Whereas other resist gear was awkwardly geared towards whatever the fuck they were thinking(this was an era where cloth could have str). Having Armor, Shield Block, anti-fear mechanic, made them the most optimal tanking choice.
    Druid - Ok at threat because of gearing(you lose stats based on resist gear) and unable to take crushing blows. Has a taunt function making them more viable than Paladins. Also, PARRY is a huge problem for Druid tanks. If a boss can CB you, and it Parry's, forget ANY chance of living.
    Paladin - Only ok for adds. Has no taunt. Tanks as Holy, not as Prot; basically your only job then was to stand IN the mobs, Consecrate and spam heal yourself. Decent for dungeon crawls.

AoE fights BARELY existed in Vanilla. I said before, Vanilla isn't BC and beyond. Y'all are putting WAY too much investment in multiple add tanking. I can only recall less than a handful of fights that required another tank to pick up adds.

Edit: I forgot, as another poster said, some bosses were immune to taunt. Making threat application a MORE distinct necessity(Sunder Armor)

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcath View Post
    Warrior - Best threat generation in game because of gearing. Even with Resist, it didn't offset the stat priority for Plate wearing tanks. Whereas other resist gear was awkwardly geared towards whatever the fuck they were thinking(this was an era where cloth could have str). Having Armor, Shield Block, anti-fear mechanic, made them the most optimal tanking choice.
    Druid - Ok at threat because of gearing(you lose stats based on resist gear) and unable to take crushing blows. Has a taunt function making them more viable than Paladins. Also, PARRY is a huge problem for Druid tanks. If a boss can CB you, and it Parry's, forget ANY chance of living.
    Paladin - Only ok for adds. Has no taunt. Tanks as Holy, not as Prot; basically your only job then was to stand IN the mobs, Consecrate and spam heal yourself. Decent for dungeon crawls.

AoE fights BARELY existed in Vanilla. I said before, Vanilla isn't BC and beyond. Y'all are putting WAY too much investment in multiple add tanking. I can only recall less than a handful of fights that required another tank to pick up adds.

Edit: I forgot, as another poster said, some bosses were immune to taunt. Making threat application a MORE distinct necessity(Sunder Armor)
    Ah, I knew we were talking about two different things here.

I am (or at least I meant to be) talking about dungeons when I mention AoE tanking, for them I consider druids the best tanks.
    Last edited by Knolan; 2017-12-22 at 12:27 PM.
    I may not be an overachiever, but my Druid is richer than half of Venezuela.

Ah, I knew we were talking about two different things here.

I am (or at least I meant to be) talking about dungeons when I mention AoE tanking, for them I consider druids the best tanks.
    Who cares about 5 man or even 10 man? They are easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    Who cares about 5 man or even 10 man? They are easy.
    Lots of people actually. Raiding requires a lot of dedication and time.

Also I am absolutely sure that for a new player that just hit level 60, dungeons are not easy at all.
    I may not be an overachiever, but my Druid is richer than half of Venezuela.

Lots of people actually. Raiding requires a lot of dedication and time.

Also I am absolutely sure that for a new player that just hit level 60, dungeons are not easy at all.
    If he has any wow experience, Vanilla dungeon are easy.

There wasnt much AoE fights period in Vanilla WoW mate. I dont know how else to explain this to you...

Dungeons had heavy CC and max pull was 5 because itemization prevented scaling past enemies npc. These things we use for pvp only these days were a heavy focus back then.