MDI vs. Tespa Collegiate Race

We had Mythic Dungeon Invitational and Tespa Collegiate Dungeon Race is currently ongoing, but I just wanted to highlight some differences between the two formats and see poster's thoughts on M+ as spectator sport and which format they liked better.

MDI - Access to all Legion gear at 935 ilevel, 965 weapons +17 keys.
    Tespa - It's uncertain what ilvl the players are at, but it's apparent that all the participants are using characters copied from live.

I'm not sure if there is an ilvl cap for Tespa, however it's very aware that the players weren't given access to the same gear and power-gaming strategies as MDI. Notably because healers don't all have 935 Umbral Moonglaives to use, and players seem limited in their Legendary collection compared to what they had on live.

For me, I am finding Tespa more entertaining, in 2 days we've seen several tanks, healers, and dps represented. The gear availability is lower so the keys are lower. +14 seems easy when teams are doing +20s, but in this case they're not just doing the dungeon in time, they're racing against the other team, pushing teams to commit to far riskier strategies.

The requirement to using live characters seems to me like a better direction for the format, as the MDI format often meant every team minmaxed the theoretical 'best tank/dps/healer for each dungeon. For me it's far more entertaining seeing many classes and specs represented than just Bear/Resto Druid/Sub Rogue/Arms Warrior every run.
    Outdated due to new info.
    Last edited by Myta; 2017-11-12 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Defunct

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Tespa is scaled to the same gear as MDI, and they have access to the vendors.

Umm, they have exactly the same gear level and item choice as the MDI teams.

What this actually shows is how much more skilled the MDI competitors were since they crushed +17's and some of the team in 935 gear in this tourney died 45 times on a MoS run. I agree this is a little more fun to watch though, watching highly polished groups run is akin to a flawless demo. Watching these guys can be like watching a bloopers reel.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thiink the big difference is eveyone knew about the MDI and I've still got no idea what TESPA is

This thread is defunct, I noticed they had 935 gear which wasn't shown the other day in other races.
    Mistweaver Tax noun 1. The effect of both high mana costs, and lack of utility, coupled with requiring specific talent combinations to compete with other healers, while still not being able to compete with toolkits said healers have baseline in any competitive area.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    What this actually shows is how much more skilled the MDI competitors were since they crushed +17's and some of the team in 935 gear in this tourney died 45 times on a MoS run. I agree this is a little more fun to watch though, watching highly polished groups run is akin to a flawless demo. Watching these guys can be like watching a bloopers reel.
    Them being worse is to be expected, and that's most likely the reason why they are only running +14. As I understand it all players in the group have to be from the same university, so that greatly reduces the player base (compared to be able to chose from a whole region). And it's not like we only saw flawless runs in the MDI.

https://imgur.com/47KyTHo

Its the second tespa race, they already had one in 2016. In 2016 they had already unique affix combos, fixated ilvl and trait/relic restrictions. The first rule set made it quite difficult to actual judge over there skill performance back then; the matches looked terrible back in the days, but how hard were they effected by the rule set? Now th y are taking the same rules from MDI with a lower key.