Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Can someone point me in the direction of wherever it is we get to see Aethas dabbling in void magic or whatever it is that would cause Lor'themar to throw him out of Silvermoon?

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    Can someone point me in the direction of wherever it is we get to see Aethas dabbling in void magic or whatever it is that would cause Lor'themar to throw him out of Silvermoon?
    It's a speculation from OP, which has some merit imo. But I find it unlikely.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    It's a speculation from OP, which has some merit imo. But I find it unlikely.
    Ah, okay thanks. I've seen some folks speculate about Aethas either being involved with void magic, leaving the Horde, or both a few times. Figured I was missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhlor View Post
    also aethas now has a nightborne apprentice that makes it more related to the new race of the horde
    Right, I forgot about the mage order hall. That makes it even less likely.

Deleted
    Well, if Lor'themar loses his !@#$ and kicks Aethas's sorry ass out of Quel'thalas, I wouldn't be too surprised. With all that Kirin Tor buttlicking, he has more than earned it, there is no need to discuss any dabbling in Shadow magic. Besides, Aethas is a mage... When do Mages wield Shadow/Void magic since? That's supposed to be a Priests' thing.

And BEs have had Priests since WC3 at least... Why weren't they banished for using Shadow magic then? Were they all holy/disc specced? Or was Shadow magic permitted under Anasterian and Kael, and it was banned only recently? Too many holes in the plot ^^
    Mh, yes mages do. Maybe not many, but Archmage Xylem is quite good at it. Not very good at resisting the whispers, but good at using shadow.

I think there is a difference with using shadow and actually devouring a void-creature to gain access to greater powers. A bit like the difference between a warlock and a demon hunter. One is using an energy and one is literally eating a demon to gain access to it's power. Warlocks go mad sometimes, Demonhunters go mad most of the time. I guess it's the same for shadow-magic. Using shadow magic drives you mad sometimes, eating a void-creature drives you mad most of the time.
    In both cases there were powerful people, who actually got away with eating one of the creatures (Illidan and the Locus-Walker) who came up with a way to increase the chances of not going mad and passed that on to others.

As for Aethas I'm a bit divided about him. I think so is he. He is trying to keep his place with the Kirin Tor but likewise stay with his people and I think that is not going to work. The best (and probably the only) way for him to go is just join the Kirin Tor completely and cut all ties with the Horde and the Alliance.
    The Alliance won't want him... well, maybe some would but others surely wouldn't and the Horde won't want him so much anymore. I think he may have had one or two falling outs with Rommath too many and he is always going to be seen as a spy or at least unreliable by both the Bloodelves and the Kirin Tor if he keeps sticking to his 'I want to be both'.

But the core philosophical tenet of Priests is that light cannot exist without shadow, and viceversa, which by the way is what separates them from Paladins, who are embodiments of pure Light. And that applies to all kinds of Priests, not only BE/Forsaken ones.
    That applies to the players (and Order Hall, I suppose) but IMO it's just a glossing of the various different religious codes to fit game mechanics. Priests in lore don't have to equal the mechanical Priest class as it exists now and they certainly don't all believe the same thing. The Cult of the Forgotten Shadow is a very distinct belief system than, say, the Church of the Holy Light or the Priestesses of the Moon or Loa-worship.

(And yeah, in WC3 "priest" was pretty explicitly an Elven holy-magic user. Unrelated to the current Priest class except maybe to inspire some aspects of the Holy/Disc specs.)

Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    It WAS speculation (and good one too) from the OP prior to 7.3.5's PTR. This was based on talking to Khadgar/Aethas downstairs on the Vindicaar where Aethas spoke about a mysterious power here (void) and Khadgar saying that it may mean more a sign of being attuned to it. With PTR, it's not Aethas, but rather another Magister named Umbric that contacts Alleria about joining the Alliance. Is it possible that it was originally intended to be Aethas, who knows?