Thread: Iron Man Option

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Post Iron Man Option

In the beginning starting area there should be an option to have an "iron-man" option.

This option would automatically set you to the challenge mode that is iron-man.
    Block outs for:
    heirlooms and dungeon finder, riding training until 40 and epic for 60, re-spec should cost gold.
    You could also create iron-man servers? Like when flagged for pvp a group of players shard into their own server per say. That way iron man players can group together and take the challenge on as a group. May be an easy fun feat for players looking into that.

Or just:

Dont use heirlooms
    Dont use dungeon finder
    Dont use mount until 40

15+ Year Old Account
    I thought the whole spirit of the Iron man competition was soloing your way to max level without equipping greens and up, not mounting, etc. That option still exists. You finding others to group together with is against the original rules. Having a pocket healer defeats the purpose. If you want to claim you competed the Iron man challenge, just do it. And remember if you die along the way, you have to delete that character and start again.

Quote Originally Posted by Aoyi View Post
    I thought the whole spirit of the Iron man competition was soloing your way to max level without equipping greens and up, not mounting, etc. That option still exists. You finding others to group together with is against the original rules. Having a pocket healer defeats the purpose. If you want to claim you competed the Iron man challenge, just do it. And remember if you die along the way, you have to delete that character and start again.
    Oh i didn't know that, but like having a system to make it real seems easy and would make it where you cant cheat yourself? Like how CoD has vet modes. It is the same thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Markatron View Post
    Or just:

Dont use heirlooms
    Dont use dungeon finder
    Dont use mount until 40
    Good point. It is very fun to just take that on yourself. I dont know i feel there is an aspect content creators create but people don't enjoy it due to the "power level rawr".Some approaches for designers is to give a player freedom, but also protect a player from himself and losing out on an aspect of design. You are right, but having something force it; like a certain mode really engages the player better.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainal View Post
    Oh i didn't know that, but like having a system to make it real seems easy and would make it where you cant cheat yourself? Like how CoD has vet modes. It is the same thing.
    You see, the Iron Man Challenge is a personal journey. If one cheats him/herself, he's the only one losing. You think the implementation of a system that handles this for the player is easy, but we just don't know if that is true.

...We do know that it is unnecessary. If someone wants to do Iron Man Challenge, this person can do whatever they want and place whatever rules they want. It's their game, their sub, their character (only becoming a problem if it harass someone's playtime). No need for handholding.

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    You see, the Iron Man Challenge is a personal journey. If one cheats him/herself, he's the only one losing. You think the implementation of a system that handles this for the player is easy, but we just don't know if that is true.

...We do know that it is unnecessary. If someone wants to do Iron Man Challenge, this person can do whatever they want and place whatever rules they want. It's their game, their sub, their character (only becoming a problem if it harass someone's playtime). No need for handholding.
    Great point. I guess many other games that have hard modes are slightly poiintless too. Like modes where if you die you have to start over. Like a player could just delete their progress on their own if they failed, but yet content creators still implement them because it is a thing to do. I think its a psychological effect.

Deleted
    In the beginning starting area there should be an option to have an "iron-man" option.

Block outs for:
    heirlooms and dungeon finder, riding training until 40 and epic for 60, re-spec should cost gold.
    You could also create iron-man servers? Like when flagged for pvp a group of players shard into their own server per say. That way iron man players can group together and take the challenge on as a group. May be an easy fun feat for players looking into that.
    Or instead of spending dev time on something like this - you just do the Iron Man Challenge. It's been a thing for years.. just run it if you think it's fun?

I think its a psychological effect.
    It is. Nothing is stopping you from not using heirlooms, using mounts at a higher level, or avoiding LFD. yet you still want a server that forces you to. It seems strange to want something, but only want it if you're forced to do it, but it makes sense in a way. People don't like following their own rules, when they know they can break the rules at any time and cheat whenever they want, it doesn't feel as meaningful. That said though, I sincerely doubt we'll ever see a hardcore or iron-man type server. Classic servers should fill in that niche well enough.

Thank you for the thread, OP! There are a lot of players against that option, and I don't see why. It doesn't affect them if done properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Aoyi View Post
    It is. It's probably getting harder for us to have a challenge when they implement level scaling. I'm not sure, but there won't be any higher level mobs in your zone anymore, am I right? Every mob would scale to your level?! So you two-shot mobs on your level and you don't have to option to xp-stop and fight higher level mobs when progressing.

It seems to me that this option is taken away for the people who love slow paced challenging leveling (probably most of the people who look forward to classic servers - a lot)

I would love the Ironman to come out and voice their opinion, to me it seems that nay-sayers are the louder ones in the forums.

You have to be very careful OP, to not split the playerbase. Whole shards would be bad because it splits people. Just let ironmen be among others in the open world, without influencing others in a bad way.

I would also love if Blizzard implemented (totally optional) negative-effect heirlooms (doesn't work in dungeons/groups), so that players can willingly gimp themselves to enjoy their questing more. Stuff like:
    -) -50% damage done
    -) -50% healing effectiveness
    -) character stats equal a lower level (-4 level) player
    -) the stamina on your armor is set to 0
    -) ...

a "small" change with a big effect for those players
    Last edited by Maarius; 2017-11-27 at 06:12 AM.

An official mode on character creation (like Diablo Hardcore) would allow for the mode to be more official, which could support things like achievements and leader-boards or even rewards ("you can now transmog grey items"). Right now it's pretty fiddly if someone has "actually" completed Iron Man, or if they made some exception along the way briefly which may have changed the whole run. Not everyone's rules are exactly the same, which takes away a bit from the race when not everyone is operating under the same rules.

That said I haven't done Iron Man. But I probably would try it if there was an official mode for it with fun rewards or incentives.

Deleted
    They won't add stuff that people can do on their own lol

That should actually be a thing in WOW classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    They won't add stuff that people can do on their own lol
    that's the point, they can't do everything soon

and why not give those hardcore searching players who enjoy open world and old content "something"? Does it influence you in a bad way?

7.3.5 introduces level scaling to the whole game, so you won't be able to find high level mobs in your zones. If you want to challenge yourself then, you have to gimp yourself to the point where whole systems will have to be left out (gearing for example). Things that make the experience more fun.

If you could still wear green and blue armor while at the same time doing much less damage / lose more health when hurt (totally optional, no better rewards for those players except maybe a title and leaderboards) it would be great for those players.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spotnick View Post
    That should actually be a thing in WOW classic.
    Why not in our current WoW? If done properly it doesn't affect you in a bad way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    that's the point, they can't do everything soon

and why not give those hardcore searching players who enjoy open world and old content "something"? Does it influence you in a bad way?

7.3.5 introduces level scaling to the whole game, so you won't be able to find high level mobs in your zones. If you want to challenge yourself then, you have to gimp yourself to the point where whole systems will have to be left out (gearing for example). Things that make the experience more fun.

If you could still wear green and blue armor while at the same time doing much less damage / lose more health when hurt (totally optional, no better rewards for those players except maybe a title and leaderboards) it would be great for those players.

- - - Updated - - -

Why not in our current WoW? If done properly it doesn't affect you in a bad way.
    If you haven't done an Iron Man challenge already than I'm pretty sure you won't do it from 1 to max level anyway. It's a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    Because leveling is a lot easier on live servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    If you haven't done an Iron Man challenge already than I'm pretty sure you won't do it from 1 to max level anyway. It's a waste of resources.
    I think it's really not a waste of resources. There are many people who long for classic servers BECAUSE there will be slow paced and challenging content. Some people stopped playing WoW because the questing has become carebear.

I actually do Ironman currently, and it's really fun to just level, look at the leaderboards of your server and find out how far you can make it. Levelcap is just the topping on the cake, getting as far as possible is the fun. It's a challenge and it keeps you motivated to know that only few people have made it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spotnick View Post
    Because leveling is a lot easier on live servers.
    ...and there is something they could do against that - in a purely optional way of course. I don't care about being rewarded by choosing the harder way, I just enjoy an experience where I have to think what I do instead of mindlessly running into groups of mobs and blindly spamming my keys until everything is dead - with no sense of danger.

5+ Year Old Account
    rather than game mode i would like to see an achievment granted while you earned max lvl while doing ironman and the rward is ironman title for it

7+ Year Old Account

Block outs for:
    .... As many will proberly say in here, and already have, there is really no need for the game to give you this option, because you can extremly easily do this yourself. Also, making a group for this is not hard either with pre-group websites and even with a server dedicated to it, people will not start at the same time, be spread out and finding a group will be harder anyway.

...Also, if i remember right, you are not really allowed to be in a group during the iron man challenge, so you are going against the event with this.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    .... As many will proberly say in here, and already have, there is really no need for the game to give you this option, because you can extremly easily do this yourself.
    Are options bad? Wouldn't it be a good thing if players could run the game in a more challenging (classic) way without having to use private servers or waiting for classic? If it's optional...

The game has cosmetic rewards like titles. Now use those. Bring back risk - reward.

(btw. yes, you can do it yourself, but a small mistake (like a vendor walking away while you want to sell green gear, hence you equip it accidentally, drinking a potion,...) can end it. Mechanics which lock "equipping greens, drinking potions,..." would be handy)

People have been doing iron man's for a few years just fine w/o blizzard making a option to force it on those who want to do it.