Page 1 of 19
... LastLast

Battle for azeroth will end tier sets.

"With sets and cosmetic appearances we're always trying new things. We're currently not planning on carrying forward traditional raid class sets," says Hazzikostas. So we're going to have artwise, the gear will be more heavily themed from the place it comes. There's more customization we want to express through the new Azerite system. I think class sets have changed a lot over a years of World of Warcraft. Back in the day, these 8 piece sets you would put together over the course of 6 to 8 months raiding a zone, where now the smaller sets and so many more sources of gear, it's very common to get 2 or 4 pieces at the start of a tier and it actually kind of locks down those character slots, it limits your choices. It feels like more of a drawback than a strength at this point."

Quote from Ion himself.

Opinions?

He's actually right. In a game where Ilvl exists as a "scale" of how good a player is, having to gimp yourself for set bonuses is stupid as shit

Stood in the Fire
    7+ Year Old Account
    so they wanna kill raiding scene. truly truly brilliant

- - - Updated - - -

can you link the source please?

Tier has been in the game since Vanilla, it's a part of raiding... Removing it is just sad and I hope they reverse their stance on this, non-tier raids just feel... empty and useless.

I also speculated on this back during blizzcon, but no one believed me then... its cause the decided to make three of the tier slots that stupid azurite gear.

Gief back tier please blizz

Makes no difference to me.

I'm not a raider, so I'm indifferent about set bonuses as it is. Also, gear is replaced very rapidly these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaronioslo View Post
    so they wanna kill raiding scene. truly truly brilliant

- - - Updated - - -

can you link the source please?
    http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...r-azeroth.aspx

I don't think this kills the raiding scene, IF handled properly. If they keep mythic+ as a viable option for alternative and/or additional gearing it no longer hamstrings us by mandating we keep inferior ilvl pieces just to maintain set bonuses. It should also mean that armor pieces from raiding aren't cast aside as quickly if they're not tier. I'll miss having kooky/fun/powerful tier set bonuses, but from a QoL gearing standpoint I find it rather liberating.

He's correct. I've got no problems with them biting the dust at all. Wearing lower ilevel gear purely to obtain a bonus that each spec is (ostensibly) balanced around anyway isn't particularly compelling gameplay to me.

Deleted
    Tier sets are going away in their traditional manner, but they also said they'll do crazy things with the neck 'traits' so they'll essentially move them there but instead of having fixed ones, you might be able to pick from multiple ones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Great and much welcome change to items and gearing. Hopefully they stick with this decision.

RIP raiding: 2004-2014

This is fine with me.

Interesting to see, thought as much so with the Azerite thing etc. Kinda like the change, so you are not forced into very specific gear pieces which might be worse optimized for you, if you are in the hardcore scene

Quote Originally Posted by Xloudman View Post
    RIP raiding: 2004-2017
    Basically, kind of kills my desire, tier is one of the things i definitely look forward to raid to raid... now what? Trinkets? nothing separates raids from M+ now.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Basically, kind of kills my desire, tier is one of the things i definitely look forward to raid to raid... now what? Trinkets? nothing separates raids from M+ now.
    But they can do some crazy things with the traits on the Azerite gear tho. That can be something to look forward too. Obviously the flat % are boring but there could be different procs to choose between.

The azurite traits is by gear no? So raids probably will still have unique bonuses

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by turbosnail View Post
    He's actually right. In a game where Ilvl exists as a "scale" of how good a player is, having to gimp yourself for set bonuses is stupid as shit
    Is it so hard to make the next tier set bonuses better to the prior tier?

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    The joke

Your head

Quote Originally Posted by Alextros View Post
    But they can do some crazy things with the traits on the Azerite gear tho. That can be something to look forward too. Obviously the flat % are boring but there could be different procs to choose between.
    But it doesn't separate raiding from everything else, raid tier has been in this game since the start, and they're killing it for nothing. I can't look forward to a new tier every raid, it's just the same hum-drum thing, may as well just do M+, same gear now.

Whole guild is pissed over it.

Stood in the Fire
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertigerlamp View Post
    I don't think this kills the raiding scene, IF handled properly. If they keep mythic+ as a viable option for alternative and/or additional gearing it no longer hamstrings us by mandating we keep inferior ilvl pieces just to maintain set bonuses. It should also mean that armor pieces from raiding aren't cast aside as quickly if they're not tier. I'll miss having kooky/fun/powerful tier set bonuses, but from a QoL gearing standpoint I find it rather liberating.
    except m+ will be the only viable gearing option since its spamable. everyone just log on to do 5 hours of the same 10 dungeons over and over and pushes to m+100 hahahaha. how exciting this expansion is going to be.