Thread: "Problematic"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    I'm sorry, what's the politically correct word they should be using instead?
    Problematic is the politically correct word. What people typically mean when using the term is that sh*t be f*cked up or dude is f*cked up.

TBH, whenever the word has been brought up in my presence, counter to the OPs experience, it has lots of evidence attached to it. /shrug

15+ Year Old Account
    I hate the word toxic and slammed more nowadays.

I’ve only heard the term used where the point was self-evident. I don’t support the idea that every argument should be expounded ad infinitum because some people are too dense to think for themselves about an issue from both sides.
    Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    Problematic is the politically correct word. What people typically mean when using the term is that sh*t be f*cked up or dude is f*cked up.
    It was a joke, and apparently a poor one. The people who would generally be stereotyped into overusing the word "problematic" are the ones who get called politically correct, but here we've got the "other side" trying to police the words they get to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Pretty much. Like most overused terms these days, Someone using the word "Problematic" allows you to instantly realise you are having a conversation with an idiot and gives you the ability to leave before they waste anymore of your Time or the Earths Oxygen.
    That's basically how I see it too.

this thread is problematic..

seriously isn't that just what people say when they know something might be wrong but they don't have all the facts yet?

7+ Year Old Account
    I mostly see it as a term to use when someone who isn't racist (sexist, homophobic, etc) accidentally says something that is. For example it'd be like if Planet of the Apes exclusively casted black actors for the apes, which while surely not something that is outright racist it can easily be seen as such. It's literally designed as a nice way to let people know that some of the implications of their work are inflammatory but I believe it happened accidentally.

Quote Originally Posted by Notshauna View Post
    I mostly see it as a term to use when someone who isn't racist (sexist, homophobic, etc) accidentally says something that is. For example it'd be like if Planet of the Apes exclusively casted black actors for the apes, which while surely not something that is outright racist it can easily be seen as such. It's literally designed as a nice way to let people know that some of the implications of their work are inflammatory but I believe it happened accidentally.
    So it isn't so much calling out the actions of other people as it is reminding them that other people appear to suffer from schizoaffective disorder when interacting with portrayals of race and sex?

Sort of like:
    "It's cool, I know you didn't mean anything by it. But, there's this group out there who may not like it cause it reminds them of bad things and they don't always separate reminders of bad things from the bad things themselves."