Poll: How do you press your keys between GCD's?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

How do you press your abilities?

A recent thread on carpal tunnel got me wondering about how other people press their keys.

Do you spam your keys constantly (for me that'd be hitting the key about 6,7 or maybe 8 times) every GCD or do you only start to hit the key when the GCD is nearly finished (so 2 or maybe even 1 key press just as the spell is coming up)

I spam my keys because it feels more optimal and without doing so the game feels strangely slow. Hitting nothing for a few seconds and picking precisely when to tap a key feels weird.

You?

Edit: I suppose I should clarify I'm talking about in PvE.
    Last edited by mmoc601899f8ff; 2017-11-17 at 10:19 AM.

I spam when I'm in CC.

But otherwise I try not to expend too much energy.

I used to spam feverishly back when Warriors and Bears had On-Swing abilities, and it was fun, but then they went and removed that mechanic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausername25 View Post
    Hitting nothing for a few seconds and picking precisely when to tap a key feels weird.
    I was playing monk WW this expansion, and i never had this feeling, i do not spam i wait for the GCD or the chanelling spell to finish, but still i am constantly moving and trying to plan ahead, when doing challenging content that is.
    The game has felt amazingly fast paced for me this expansion, maybe it has something to do with the class you play?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryla View Post
    I was playing monk WW this expansion, and i never had this feeling, i do not spam i wait for the GCD or the chanelling spell to finish, but still i am constantly moving and trying to plan ahead, when doing challenging content that is.
    The game has felt amazingly fast paced for me this expansion, maybe it has something to do with the class you play?
    I play Fury with a good amount of haste. I don't think it has to do with the spec I play. I've spammed my keys for 10+ years in WoW trying to always hit the ability as soon as possible when it comes off the GCD. Any class/spec would feel slow if I'm not spamming.

Edit: Spamming, while it requires more energy, isn't an issue for me and I've yet to have any health issues because of it.

The biggest advantage to spamming is that if I need to look away from my spells to move to a certain place I can just spam and be sure I'm hitting the spell as fast as I can when it comes off gcd.

It also gets me into more of a flow. If you're always hitting yours spells prempativley and spamming till the ability is used then you...know where you are and what you're doing. Hitting a spell, waiting a couple seconds and then starting to tap the keys again feels disjointed to me.
    Last edited by mmoc601899f8ff; 2017-11-17 at 10:34 AM.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    first thing that popped into my head was 'with my cock' and you know what, I'm gonna stick with that answer

Deleted
    I play Fury with a good amount of haste. I don't think it has to do with the spec I play. I've spammed my keys for 10+ years in WoW trying to always hit the ability as soon as possible when it comes off the GCD. Any class/spec would feel slow if I'm not spamming.
    I have been doing mostly Mythic+ this expansion, and because it is quite fast per se, adding to that the constant need of moving for avoiding damage and for maximazing AOE, i have not had this feeling with my monk.
    The thing is i play all the classes DPS, not all the specs though, and i do not remember any of them feeling slow gameplay, although some bosses in raiding, yeah some stacking phases were not as fast paced, even some bosses in Mythic+ were a bit more slow gameplay, but gameplay wise this has to be the most interesting exp i have played in terms of constantly doing things while DPSing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    With a mix of mouse and keyboard whilst furiously spamming.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have to admit, I only spam the button when it is off-cooldown, or really close to be ready.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I spam, but I try not to,

It's a habit from when I was a kid and when I got older I realised there was zero point, on most classes it doesn't make it any more optimal to spam than to wait, especially with how simple most rotations are now. Course the exceptions are rogues, but I can't play a rogue any more, I've got hyper extensive joints and after 20 minutes of playing one, my fingers hurt like hell from it

I usually press the button 2-3 times as it's about to get off the cd.
    However, thre are some abilities with charges, which aren't affected by gcd, so I learned to not spam them (mage's talented blink and fireblast)
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

I generally don't spam, most of my main abilities are tied to my mouse, and my latency window is comfortable for me.

If I'm in a BG/Arena, I will tend to spam more out of panic and dread, part of the reason I don't partake in PvP often, heh.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

I use the AHK script that spams the key when you hold it. No RSI for me ty.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

7+ Year Old Account
    i got a g 600 mouse and i set up 12 makros on it when i hold down button 1 it presses that button ingame every 0,15 seconds so long until i let go of the key i have shift and strg to get to my second and third bar of skills
    i get every globalcd and i am able to do stuff at the very moment i get out of cc just with the hold of a button

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by durrtygoodz View Post
    I use the AHK script that spams the key when you hold it. No RSI for me ty.
    I had no idea that was possible. It sounds like something that would be against the rules, but it's probably not.

10+ Year Old Account
    With a G13 set to press the button 50 times a second while I hold it down.
    Technically against ToS (multiple actions per button press), but I've done it for years and haven't gotten banned or warned for it

I had no idea that was possible. It sounds like something that would be against the rules, but it's probably not.
    It's basically tmorph. They don't want you doing it but nobody gets banned. There's keyboards that have this built into them anyway so it's fairly hard to ban someone for their keyboard choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

I usually spam my filler spell (incinerate), it feels like its charging faster when I do that xD

Spam "normal abilities", click once only for long CDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I try to press them just as the GCD ends (though I do spam in that 0.2-0.3s window)
    This.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I don't spam - I already have mild to moderate arthritis in my hands, mostly in the knuckles and fingertips. I'll hit the ability buttons when they're off CD or close to it.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

You can mess around with custom lag tolerance, if you want to "queue up" your spells, so you can press it, let's say, 0.5sec before the GCD comes off, and it will still go off. That way you don't have to spam it.

Check more at this thread: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...lly-set-to-400

Or download the addon "advanced interface options", from which you can change the custom lag tolerance from a menu.

Mess around with the value until you find your sweet spot.

You can google it if you want more information, as there was a burst of relevant info back in March, when the custom lag tolerance was reset to 400ms for everyone, making playing the game feel like there is some constant lag.
    Last edited by gushDH; 2017-11-17 at 12:41 PM.