Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seja Victrix View Post
    If you read his threads - and they are pure comedy, if a little worrying - you'll see that our friend Anduin believes himself a greater expert on women than actual women are. Despite, y'know, all the worryingly crazy anecdotes he fills his threads with.
    Yeh, I don't really like to speak too ill of folk I don't know, but he kind of worries me. I can't imagine the kind of person he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduin Menethil View Post
    So just making a compliment without hitting on them is creepy, too? This gets better and better.

- - - Updated - - -

On the street and in shops so far.

- - - Updated - - -

That makes no sense. "You're cute" is always a compliment. There is no possible way to see that as an insult.
    According to you, news flash not everybody shares your ideas on things. How things are said or heard also opens up other issues.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Like everything else in life, context is everything.

For your specific example, calling someone cute can be demeaning or imply you are hitting on them (especially if they are a complete stranger).

Obviously, I am assuming you called a woman this. I mean, you did, right? See, I don't know your age, but this is kind of the same thing as calling a fully grown woman a 'girl'. They might not like being called that. Would you like being called a 'boy' instead of a man? Probably not, but like above, it depends on context. On the other hand, if you call someone 'ma'am' they can take it as meaning you think they are old and take offense at it, as well. It just depends.

On the latter -- assuming you are trying to get their attention -- if they say 'thank you', it reciprocates that the compliment is appreciated and opens for more conversation. They may not be interested, and if not... that's to be fully and entirely expected. They are not obligated to spend time with you just because you called them 'cute'.

Chances are, if it's a genuine compliment and people can tell, they will appreciate it. And they can express that without saying "thank you". A polite smile is a way of saying "thank you" without encouraging you to continue chatting with them.

In short, no one is obligated to reciprocate your attention. Provided they are not being rude, there is nothing unusual going on here and people are not necessarily going to respond to you. That's life.
    Last edited by therealbowser; 2017-11-18 at 11:40 PM.

I would react with suspicion if a random person, especially a man, came up and told me I was "cute" in the street.

At a club or pub or party? I can say "thanks" and such, but I still won't throw myself in his/her arms and scream "TAKE ME FOREVER I'M YOURS!!!" because they tell me I'm "cute"... If that's rude of me, then I can live with it.

Edit: Did I just respond to Incel baitings...?

Deleted

I've never had anyone react badly when I approach someone and talk to them, male or female.

Maybe you're creepy? Pushy? Have a desperate air about you?

Anytime someone strange compliments me I scream I HAVE A GIRLFRIEND!!!!
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seja Victrix View Post
    If you read his threads - and they are pure comedy, if a little worrying - you'll see that our friend Anduin believes himself a greater expert on women than actual women are.
    Well as a general rule women give you absolutely terrible advice on how to deal with women.

You will rarely get a woman to admit that the pathology of men they are attracted is often dark and ugly. Yet the evidence is pretty obvious given the complaints about their actual partners.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's seriously millions of reasons why people react rudely to what you're saying. Based on your previous posting history, it's probably because its obvious that your compliment is superficial and you get mad when people don't respond positively to what you said. Context matters, no matter how much you think it doesn't.

Why is it that a person would act rudely towards you when you walk up to them and make them a compliment, like that they are cute? Isn't this a big contradiction? Very often, people will just respond with "thank you", even if they then keep on walking, but sometimes you get very harsh reactions.
    They know you are hitting on them/trying to get their number and aren't interested. That is why they're being rude. Sorry. Some might also be having a bad day, but you should take that as a sign of disinterest.

You would have far better results if you waited to compliment someone/act like you're interested in getting in their pants until after you have spent some time talking to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    They know you are hitting on them/trying to get their number and aren't interested. That is why they're being rude. Sorry. Some might also be having a bad day, but you should take that as a sign of disinterest.

You would have far better results if you waited to compliment someone/act like you're interested in getting in their pants until after you have spent some time talking to them.
    It also depends on the interlocutor's demeanor at the time. There's a vast difference between, "oh, nice hat, I'll be on my way" vs. "oh, nice hat, now I'm going to stare and maybe touch you."

The best pickup line I've ever used is a simple, "Hello."

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    The best rule of thumb in this stuff is the Rock test.

Would you say the same thing to Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, to his face? Then you're probably okay.
    If not, you're probably crossing a line.

we werent hugged enough as kids

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Yeah you're right. The norm is for guys to not have the guts to do this. I'm definitely not normal in that regard. I'm proud of that.
    Lol, you completely missed the point I mean just reading your responses you sound sleazy so I'm betting that is the issue here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why is it that a person would act rudely towards you when you walk up to them and make them a compliment, like that they are cute? Isn't this a big contradiction? Very often, people will just respond with "thank you", even if they then keep on walking, but sometimes you get very harsh reactions.

edit:

Oops, that was a mistake, please mods move this to off-topic.
    Because they didn't ask for your validation and they don't need it to feel good about themselves.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Deleted
    Everybody loves a creep wanting to get in their pants obviously

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The best rule of thumb in this stuff is the Rock test.

Would you say the same thing to Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, to his face? Then you're probably okay.
    If not, you're probably crossing a line.
    LOL I actually saw that, it was hilarious, it was spot on too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Everybody loves a creep wanting to get in their pants obviously
    Well the right time the right place sure.

I mean how else is someone supposed to try to get some of your precious time?

I mean I can't hate on someone for having a terrible personality or being ugly, I just think at least pick the right places.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

7+ Year Old Account
    I can imagine this being you

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabbywabby View Post

OMG I actually almost spat my drink out it's so fucking true

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Well the right time the right place sure.

I mean how else is someone supposed to try to get some of your precious time?

I mean I can't hate on someone for having a terrible personality or being ugly, I just think at least pick the right places.
    I wouldn't say hate

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabbywabby View Post

This is awesome I like this Peter Parker the best.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis