Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Hitei
    "N-no!"

Yeah, that's about what I expected, but you are wrong.

Other players already aren't seeing your character the way you are, as pointed out in a variety of ways (just because you don't understand or want to ignore them doesn't mean they go away). Your character is your character, but their experience is their experience. Just because you paint a picture and shout at everyone that they are only allowed to look at it with one eye and squinting doesn't mean they have to do so. It is their experience. If I want to desaturate my monitor to the point where the entire game is in black and white, and I can't tell what skin and hair color you picked, or what color your armor is, or even where armor pieces stop and your skin starts--that's my choice. You don't have any rights there.

If people want to use better textures/models, how you want them to see your character means nothing.
    "N-no!"

It's just like acting. So different screens, different formats (eg. 3D), but it's still important for actors how they look for others, how they look on screen not in mirro (they use make-up, they use special effects etc. - this is part of performance). So again you're wrong. And good luck to you in futile attempt to prove that graphic's settings are parts of character customization

There are very simple questions:
    - RP is part of MMORPG gameplay - True
    => RP is part of this game experience
    - RP is like acting, so appearance is important - True
    => models are part of RP and gameplay (not for everyone, but they are)
    - Toggle and new models aren't classic-RP experience - True
    => according to official promises, there won't be any changes in this sense.

It's unbreakable
    Zendhal

Hello ?

If the game runs default on old graphics with option to toggle on the new ones, THEY WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU CARE ?????

Don't go with the "it wosunt in muh vanilla" on me...

If you want your true vanilla experience, you would buy 13-15 years old computer that starts to lag when you have more than 5 characters simultaneously on screen, Internet connection that's so slow that it's going backwards in time and a CRT monitor with so shitty resolution you couldn't differentiate house from a rock.
    the same
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkizon View Post
    What part of this messages you didn't understand?
    Oh, people.
    Last edited by Alkizon; 2019-11-13 at 10:38 AM.
    __---=== IMHO(+cg) and MORE |"links-inside" ===---__

__---=== PM me WHERE if I'm unnecessarily "notifying" you ===---__

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Are you asking for them to remaster the entire old world with new models and textures (for trees, buildings, terrain?) No, that's not likely, it would be tantamount to rebuilding the entire old world (and some options most likely also require additional engine abilities that just did not exist in the vanilla engine). Maybe they could change some of the PC and NPC models though.
    There is a chance their approach is to start from modern client and recreate Classic from the new engine, if it's the case the engine would not be an issue.
    But remaking completely the world would indeed be a tremendous task.
    PC&NPCs models would be the easiest to do, then the generic assets like buildings, trees, crates, barrels. Terrain is probably the biggest task and it would have the least impact on the players.
    But it could be done over time, through patches like other remastered games did.

Deleted

Hello ?

If the game runs default on old graphics with option to toggle on the new ones, THEY WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU CARE ?????

Don't go with the "it wosunt in muh vanilla" on me...

If you want your true vanilla experience, you would buy 13-15 years old computer that starts to lag when you have more than 5 characters simultaneously on screen, Internet connection that's so slow that it's going backwards in time and a CRT monitor with so shitty resolution you couldn't differentiate house from a rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    OK, but then don't expect classic before 2022
    Indeed, that would take a long time.
    I don't expect it before 2020 even without HD graphics to be honest.

you think you want it, but you really dont. Again

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koward View Post
    There is a chance their approach is to start from modern client and recreate Classic from the new engine, if it's the case the engine would not be an issue.
    But remaking completely the world would indeed be a tremendous task.
    PC&NPCs models would be the easiest to do, then the generic assets like buildings, trees, crates, barrels. Terrain is probably the biggest task and it would have the least impact on the players.
    But it could be done over time, through patches like other remastered games did.
    The map files are easily available from the 1.12.1 client, extracting them is trivial.

Converting them to CASC format wouldn't be a monumental task either, the CASC character models and spell effects (from 7.2.5 no less) have already been backported to work in the 1.12.1 client.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Surely up for the updated graphics in options, that the one things that should be implemented without much of discussions really since it doesnt affect other persons screen whatsoever.

Deleted
    So it begins

Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post
    The map files are easily available from the 1.12.1 client, extracting them is trivial.

Converting them to CASC format wouldn't be a monumental task either, the CASC character models and spell effects (from 7.2.5 no less) have already been backported to work in the 1.12.1 client.
    I know, I am the one who developed the converter tools for that to be possible. Modern to 1.12.1 was more difficult than the opposite in fact because when I saw an effect that simply did not exist in old client I needed to map it to a classic effect that somewhat looked like it, but getting the real effect was impossible as it did not exist. Anyway they won't have any problem at all, they already have all the tools and docs to convert forward anything.
    That's why updating models is far, far easier than terrain. If the new models are already done (and many were done for Live) it can be automated, for terrain on the other hand IMO it's harder to automate the process.

5+ Year Old Account
    Nope, play vanilla = vanilla graphics. Same thing when you go back and play an old grand theft auto game or something, warts and all because its the older version.

Quote Originally Posted by digichi View Post
    Nope, play vanilla = vanilla graphics. Same thing when you go back and play an old grand theft auto game or something, warts and all because its the older version.
    Good thing we are talking about classic then.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't they say they were just discussing what patch to start at basically? I don't think they are going to add any fluff to it. I think it should be just the way it is and if changes are needed after a few months, then so be it.

Deleted
    Yet another reason why the statement "you think you do, but you don't" was accurate

Once you realize that graphics doesn't make the gameplay better... you begin to understand why Vanilla was amazing.

Just load up the original code and let's do this already!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Good thing we are talking about classic then.
    Classic IS Vanilla... Marketing won't let then call it anything relating to "generic"... thus "Classic"

Quote Originally Posted by RemasteredClassic View Post
    Please? I don't care if you keep everything the way it was, including bugs, imbalances and annoyances and inconveniences, all of it 100% the same, but can we please please please get an optional enhanced graphics for everything? I don't imagine it to be hard since all the enhanced graphics are already in the game and can simply just be pointed to when selected instead of the default old look. It's already being done on these illegal "private" servers.

I think even if Blizzard does make changes or additions like HD graphics, and if there are people who are not happy with that, they won't be able to leave it and go back to private servers because private servers will simply not exist anymore because it's going to be more difficult to keep them up when the very same game whose IP they are stealing is available by Blizzard.

I am only asking for this because I wanna play it in both versions, old and new just to keep things interesting. My argument for this is that I would play it in default graphics first and level an alt with modern graphics on. I think it'd be good for the longevity of the game since the vets will not live forever and the game will not die with them.
    WoW is not HD.....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RemasteredClassic View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Craaazyyy View Post
    on private servers you have to change your client in order to have new or old ones...
    that's not true, you simply copy/paste the patch containing new models into the data folder and that's it, if you dont wanna see new models, you rename the patch file to something else since there is no official toggle, it becomes as simple as renaming a file.
    News Flash...what you just described, is modifying the client....

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    Classic IS Vanilla... Marketing won't let then call it anything relating to "generic"... thus "Classic"
    That is literally what "classic" means. See: Coca-cola classic.

Classic is not Vanilla, that is already obvious because it will fix major bugs and it is not 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    That is literally what "classic" means. See: Coca-cola classic.

Classic is not Vanilla, that is already obvious because it will fix major bugs and it is not 2004.
    No.. Classic "literally means":

judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind

clas·sic
    ˈklasik/
    adjective
    adjective: classic

judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind.
    "a classic novel"
    synonyms: definitive, authoritative; More
    outstanding, first-rate, first-class, best, finest, excellent, superior, masterly
    "the classic work on the subject"
    (of a garment or design) of a simple elegant style not greatly subject to changes in fashion.
    "this classic navy blazer"
    synonyms: simple, elegant, understated; More
    traditional, timeless, ageless
    "a classic style"

Why in he world would you want to change a Classic?

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Why do you not want to play a 2004 game with 2017 assets / models?
    Same reason I don;t want to own a 65 Mustang with a digital dash.

No.. Classic "literally means":

judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind

clas·sic
    ˈklasik/
    adjective
    adjective: classic

judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind.
    "a classic novel"
    synonyms: definitive, authoritative; More
    outstanding, first-rate, first-class, best, finest, excellent, superior, masterly
    "the classic work on the subject"
    (of a garment or design) of a simple elegant style not greatly subject to changes in fashion.
    "this classic navy blazer"
    synonyms: simple, elegant, understated; More
    traditional, timeless, ageless
    "a classic style"

Why in he world would you want to change a Classic?

4.a : authentic, authoritative - a classic study of eyewitness accounts
    b : typical- a classic example of chicanery a classic error

Context, friend.

Classic just means in the general form of the standard.

Do you think Coca-Cola classic contained the same ingredients, including the cocaine/cocoa leaves that the original had? No. It was called classic to differentiate it from "newer" versions. WoW: Classic is not the original wow, it is an extrapolation of the original into modern infrastructure and capabilities. It does not need to have the exact same ingredients, otherwise they would be running on the same massively unstable servers that would get taken down for days/weeks after patches.

Same reason I don;t want to own a 65 Mustang with a digital dash.
    And are you going to paint that mustang with the poorly sealed, less water resistant paints produced in 1965? Or are you going to find a classic color of new, modern paint.

I won't hold my breath or be upset if a "new model toggle" doesn't make its way into Classic.

I'd also prefer to play on Classic server with the original graphic options as well. However, I'm 100% cool with there being a toggle option for the players who want something a bit more crisp and familiar. Who knows, I'd probably like to use such a toggle mechanism myself for creating certain media content outside normal play.

I'll always get behind giving people more options when it comes to something that can be switched on/off and has no impact on another's experience.