Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Casterbridge View Post
    Especially with our ISP bills they shall truly be innovative and like nothing we've seen before!
    Yeah I'm looking forward to the new customizations and the legalization of data prioritization.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Finally ISPs are free from the stifling NN regulations. Now they can form better business models. We're entering a new era of innovation!
    What innovations exactly?
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    What innovations exactly?
    New types of options that weren't possible before. For example paying for your content to be prioritized above data hogs like Google and Netflix. Unless of course they pay the ISPs more, which is good for funding the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    i thought the vote was tomorrow not today.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Finally ISPs are free from the stifling NN regulations. Now they can form better business models. We're entering a new era of innovation!
    Nothing was stopping you from paying more for less access before... why didn't you if you think it's such a great idea?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

15+ Year Old Account
    If there isn't money behind right wing content and the viewership then indeed they will fail. Nothing of value will have been lost. On places like YouTube most right wing content already gets demonetized, scrapping NN wont make much of a difference.
    It seems you don't understand. Net neutrality ensured that anyone could have open access to the internet, and considered access to the internet like a constitutionally enshrined right. But since it was just a regulation, it's far more fragile and easier to get rid of.

Internet companies will have the right to now bar people and companies from use of the internet, and internet companies already hold monopolies in a lot of areas. Just "having money" won't cut it any more with net neutrality scrapped. You were complaining earlier in the thread about providers causing right wing censorship by banning people from their sites. Getting rid of net neutrality - I repeat - gives internet companies the ability to ban people and companies from their service, which is gonna be funny as fuck when it turns around and bars certain people from the internet and they start screaming about censorship like they do with twitter. Internet companies already squish the competition, and again, have monopolies in most areas, so RIP everyone having free and open access to the internet

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I'm looking forward to the new customizations and the legalization of data prioritization.
    I'm looking forward to getting Breitbart access away from people personally, that's one up side to the end of NN.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    It seems you don't understand. Net neutrality ensured that anyone could have open access to the internet, and considered access to the internet like a constitutionally enshrined right. But since it was just a regulation, it's far more fragile and easier to get rid of.

Internet companies will have the right to now bar people and companies from use of the internet, and internet companies already hold monopolies in a lot of areas. Just "having money" won't cut it any more with net neutrality scrapped. You were complaining earlier in the thread about providers causing right wing censorship by banning people from their sites. Getting rid of net neutrality - I repeat - gives internet companies the ability to ban people and companies from their service, which is gonna be funny as fuck when it turns around and bars certain people from the internet and they start screaming about censorship like they do with twitter. Internet companies already squish the competition, and again, have monopolies in most areas, so RIP everyone having free and open access to the internet
    Data is money and vice versa. It's got nothing to do with left or right wing politics. If the money exists for it, there will always be a way to get the service.

New types of options that weren't possible before. For example paying for your content to be prioritized above data hogs like Google and Netflix. Unless of course they pay the ISPs more, which is good for funding the internet.
    So in other words, provide Internet access via microtransactions. Such innovation...
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Data is money and vice versa. It's got nothing to do with left or right wing politics. If the money exists for it, there will always be a way to get the service.
    OK... since your data is being download on my computer using my internet service, what's your address so I can send you a bill?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    OK... since your data is being download on my computer using my internet service, what's your address so I can send you a bill?
    Are you talking about MMOChamp? The data from what you see is coming from their server, not from mine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you talking about MMOChamp? The data from what you see is coming from their server, not from mine.
    So you're saying that MMOChampion is some sort of "common carrier"?

-Kujako-

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    So you're saying that MMOChampion is some sort of "common carrier"?
    They have a server where the data is integrated, but they don't relay the data like a carrier.

10+ Year Old Account
    And in this post you have completely lost the right to complain about policy which is harmful for small businesses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Removing NN kills all innovation related to the internet, but you are too dense corporate shill motherfucker to ever notice that.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    And in this post you have completely lost the right to complain about policy which is harmful for small businesses.
    Okay, conservatives need to cut the "small business is a virtue" mentality. It made sense in the past, but the 21st century is a battle of economies of scale. If a new small business has an innovative idea, I would expect them to be acquired. They would have to have an extremely great idea to become the next Facebook or Google.
    Last edited by PC2; 2017-12-13 at 05:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, conservatives need to cut the "small business is a virtue" mentality. It made sense in the past, but the 21st century is a battle of economies of scale. If a new small business has an innovative idea, I would expect them to be acquired. They would have to have an extremely great idea to become the next Facebook or Google.
    Hint: The 'innovative ideas' that will be acquired and implemented will be those that favor the acquiring entity, not the general public.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Interesting wee thing I found about Net Neutrality.

I'm a fairly regular visitor to the website SFDebris, which just does reviews/whatever of mostly Sci Fi stuff with a bit of other things. Being a review site, YouTube is pretty much a no go because everything is instaflagged because YouTube has no idea how to handle fair use, so they use other, smaller video players. Originally this was blip, blip closed down because they had no money, I think they jumped between a few before settling on vid.me before that announced it was closing down and have finally settled on vimeo because it meets all of their criteria.

One of the criteria was this:

-likely survival of net neutrality repeal (they're large enough that they would likely be able to prevent degradation of playback by throttling ISPs)
    In other words, they needed a video site that was big enough to not be screwed over by Net Neutrality being repealed. The owner of the site didn't state this in a political way, merely in an economic "this is a thing I need to consider to ensure the longevity of my site" way. This is the "innovation" of Net Neutrality repeal here. A website having to reject smaller video sites in favour of larger ones.

(Full statement from SF Debris here)

10+ Year Old Account
    Netflix pays ISPs to host their servers in a datacenter, while their UI is housed at Amazon’s AWS. What you are asking for already exists, while the result of what you are supporting, would mean your Netflix menu will be slowed down, since AWS would be impacted, if Wal-Mart paid for priority over Amazon.

- - - Updated - - -

It’s more fun than that. Every time you hit a page you posted on, you’d be paying to read your own post... over... and over... and over again...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Hint: The 'innovative ideas' that will be acquired and implemented will be those that favor the acquiring entity, not the general public.
    The acquiring entity isn't evil or bad though. A new idea isn't automatically better than the status quo and the megacorps still have to be judicious with their acquisitions if they want to stay competitive over the long run.

10+ Year Old Account
    The acquiring entity isn't evil or bad though. A new idea isn't automatically better than the status quo and the megacorps still have to be judicious with their acquisitions if they want to stay competitive over the long run.
    Which until there is any sort of campaign finance reform, will always mean lobbying to get the ability to charge more, will result in better outcome than spending more on innovation that might fail.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi