Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Please tell me that Vanilla bosses are not designed like Green Dragons

Those are ones of the shittiest boss designs in the game, it's just full stun and fear, full unavoidable aoe damage and full of "take-that-boss-in-the-corner" mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmilblick View Post
    Those are ones of the shittiest boss designs in the game, it's just full stun and fear, full unavoidable aoe damage and full of "take-that-boss-in-the-corner" mechanics.
    Yeah, they pretty much are. Also knock you across the room with fall damage, put up 40 curses for you to make it worthwhile to download decursive, deal frontal oneshot cleave, get slapped by tail..

You could describe 90% of all bosses with just those mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    Yeah, they pretty much are. Also knock you across the room with fall damage, put up 40 curses for you to make it worthwhile to download decursive, deal frontal oneshot cleave, get slapped by tail..

You could describe 90% of all bosses with just those mechanics.
    You are joking, right ?

Deleted
    You are joking, right ?
    Not really, that's actually what Vanilla bosses were like. Nearly all of them.

You are joking, right ?
    Vanilla difficulty was to get 40 ppl with gear and time and not the mechanics.

You are joking, right ?
    No, the dragons are a perfect example of a Vanilla boss, thats why we would eventually 3-5-20man them depending how many were online when they respawned for the nature resist gear.

Only difference is the abilities were much slower and less often, and the damage was more deadly so the more undergeared characters would get 2 shotted by some things, etc etc.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-11-24 at 12:51 PM.

it was very much tank and spank basically upto like razorgore, then that boss kinda required ppl to dig into their toolkits a bit, slow traps/kiting/add control/sleeps stuns/fears etc. aq20 was kinda harsh as well from a healing perspective, the first boss has that shitty sand trap silence that you had to basically start moving away from instantly or it would clip you with a pretty hefty silence. then ossirian with that pillar thing was the most cringe worthy boss i think i ever did. 'will the pillar come up in time we'll know if the tank doesn't instantly die'

10+ Year Old Account
    World bosses generally have more simplistic design, and the vanilla ones used to have some graveyard rush protection.

Deleted
    Yerh they have like no mechanics <.<

5+ Year Old Account
    Nowadays M raiders would just roflstomp through those raids and go /fart full of epics in front of those purists. That is the only reason I want to play vanilla to ninjaloot all the items on bosses and swap from guild to guild and piss on their "omg I farmed that item for 4 months I'll make a ticket to ban you lmao"

Quote Originally Posted by Dudas View Post
    Nowadays M raiders would just roflstomp through those raids and go /fart full of epics in front of those purists. That is the only reason I want to play vanilla to ninjaloot all the items on bosses and swap from guild to guild and piss on their "omg I farmed that item for 4 months I'll make a ticket to ban you lmao"
    Yours must be a sad existence

Just wait until you get to Naxx when consumables are literally mandatory to beat some bosses.

Try beating Loatheb without Greater Shadow Prot potions, Tubers, Bandages, Healthstones. Loatheb's shadow damage is unresistable, you have to use prot pots

Same goes for 4HM.

Oh and C'thun. You need prot pots there too. And Viscidus...

You are joking, right ?
    Nope, that's what Vanilla is like. Raid mechanics in Vanilla make Legion-LFR look difficult.

As others have said, it's about the pre-raid grind, getting people geared up, resistance gear, getting the Onyxia cloak to be able to do Nefarion in BWL, etc. - that is of course assuming you can get 30-40 people together to make a raid. Half of the people in Vanilla raids were DC/AFK/lagging out due to everyone playing on potatoes, and not to mention the lack of knowledge/player ability was massive back then even compared to the idiots you see now.

Basically, they will be steamrolled WHEN people get to them.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2017-11-24 at 05:21 PM.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Mass mushrooms on the 13th anniversary Emeriss is vastly different, also way more stun clouds in Legion version.

It used to only mushroom on people who died.

But instead have a disease dot, and 25% ability that would do 100% damage over 10 seconds.

All Green Dragons Also had a 15 minute debuff that'd put you to sleep 2 minutes if you died and ran back.

Overall, the design of all world bosses was anti-death/run-back mechanics, and Kazzak would have a short enrage, large aoe shadowbolt damage and heal on deaths/mark.
    Last edited by Teri; 2017-11-24 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soisoisoi View Post
    Nope, that's what Vanilla is like. Raid mechanics in Vanilla make Legion-LFR look difficult.

As others have said, it's about the pre-raid grind, getting people geared up, resistance gear, getting the Onyxia cloak to be able to do Nefarion in BWL, etc. - that is of course assuming you can get 30-40 people together to make a raid. Half of the people in Vanilla raids were DC/AFK/lagging out due to everyone playing on potatoes, and not to mention the lack of knowledge/player ability was massive back then even compared to the idiots you see now.

Basically, they will be steamrolled WHEN people get to them.
    To be fair, mechanics are meaningless when they don't do anything (LFR).

Quote Originally Posted by Nitros14 View Post
    To be fair, mechanics are meaningless when they don't do anything (LFR).
    ppl always crap on the lfr and how fast gear is handed out in retail let me just put in my 2 cents.

retail hands out gear very easily, but, not the best gear, pretty much the same the whole way through the game, its easy to get the crap gear, it takes time to get the good gear. the titanforge lotto i kinda like at least there is some sort of rng that will eventually favour you and not string you along with months and months of bad luck.

secondly we have the lfr, now i know a lot of ppl don't like the lfr because its easy mode, well this might end up being complex so bare with me. have you ever wanted to pick up an alt and raid with it? do you think that would be something that would be somewhat easy to accomplish without the looking for raid.

I like the idea of the LFR for ALTS, if i want to play a paladin for example in a raid setting and i've never played a paladin in my life before, how the hell am i going to catch up to players who have been mastering their class for years? how can i practise being a paladin in a raid and learn a role on the fly without trying to join a guild whilst having zero skill playing that class?

as much as ppl dislike the lfr for their own self righteous reasons, it has multiple purposes that obviously go way above your capacity to grasp them.

does it shit out crap loot like candy? yes it does, is that loot even close to being the best loot, no its not, does it have a miniscule chance of being somewhat half-decent, yes, although how often do you win the lottery? every day?

think ppl need to actually think about things before just knee jerking in there trololol lfr!, the truth is the lfr as done more for this game and its player base than ppl care to realize. it lets you catch up alts and if your a complete scrub you can get an IDEA of what the harder difficulties are going to be like. its really not there to make you feel bad about yourself, its there to give those under you a chance.

its there for you to gear up alts and play more of the game that would other wise be locked behind a massive time sink.

if you want the best gear in the game you have to tackle the hardest content, all you get from the LFR is catch up gear, and the occasional lucky titanforge. progression in the game today can be done through the difficulties, you can effectively progress up from lfr to mythic, lfr gear lets you perform well enough in normal, normal gear lets you perform well enough in heroic and heroic gear lets you perform well enough in mythic, its a fluid progression path if you want it to be.

obviously most ppl go through the tiers rather than the difficulties, so its normal>normal>normal, or heroic>heroic>heroic, or normal>heroic>normal>heroic>normal>heroic. its really down to the skill level of your guild on what you decide to do, which difficulties you want to do.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2017-11-24 at 09:45 PM.

I disagree. I think tons of people have tried LFR, discovered it is incredibly boring (no connection between what you do and success, the boss dies no matter what you do) and then been turned off raiding permanently without having experienced how fun the higher difficulties can be.

Yes, picking up an alt and raiding with it is easy without LFR. You can get tons of gear from relinquished stuff and mythic+ then pug normals, then pug heroics.

I wouldn't be surprised if they beefed up the bosses with additional mechanics to bring them up to modern standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitros14 View Post
    I disagree. I think tons of people have tried LFR, discovered it is incredibly boring (no connection between what you do and success, the boss dies no matter what you do) and then been turned off raiding permanently without having experienced how fun the higher difficulties can be.

Yes, picking up an alt and raiding with it is easy without LFR. You can get tons of gear from relinquished stuff and mythic+ then pug normals, then pug heroics.
    but your going to be completely clueless your not going even have a remote idea of what is happening in these encounters, remember not everyone is married to this game and spends every waking hour playing it. some ppl might play for a few hours a week, they haven't got time to learn a character from watching videos and hope a guild will take them on with no previous experience.

at the end of the day the lfr supplies the game with a steady flow of new raiders, like it or not the ppl you recruit today have usually at least run the LFR so they have some sort of an inkling as to what is going to happen in the fights. they also have some sort of baseline gear where you don't have to go back to an old raid you finished running months ago just to gear up the new guy.

it doesn't matter how boring or easy the LFR is for YOU, you don't have to run it, its how useful it is to the ppl who aren't you.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2017-11-24 at 09:55 PM.

They are, yes.