Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    I could call myself British-American cause not only was i born in Birmingham, UK iam also a US citizen plus my Grandparents was English, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish!

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    If you haven’t got British Citizenship, then you’re not British. Your ethnicity might be British-American, but you wouldn’t be British.
    That's basically what the poster you quoted said... o.O

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
    That's basically what the poster you quoted said... o.O
    It wasn’t what the poster I was originally replying to was talking about, I wasn’t disagreeing with Atethecat, merely clarifying my position.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kjhidhg View Post
    I could call myself British-American cause not only was i born in Birmingham, UK iam also a US citizen plus my Grandparents was English, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish!
    The correct term for someone born in Birmingham is ‘unfortunate’.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    What about all the Americans who say they're Irish, Italian, Scottish, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, Polish, or whatever, just because their parents, grandparents or even someone way further up the line was from that country at some point, even though they themselves were born and raised in the US, and have never even visited the country whose nationality they're claiming?
    that's actually one of the fascinating things about the US culture. they manage to do this at the same time as turning patriotism up to eleven despite the contradiction

Quote Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
    that's actually one of the fascinating things about the US culture. they manage to do this at the same time as turning patriotism up to eleven despite the contradiction
    It's not a contradiction. Being a melting pot is a point of pride.
    The reports of my death were surprisingly well-sourced and accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    The correct term for someone born in Birmingham is ‘unfortunate’.
    Ouch dude that was below the belt!!!

Dont matter we Brummies are used to it!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I didn't miss N.Ireland, but they're still Irish
    Officially Northern Irish is part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
    The Catholic population mostly considers itself Irish, which is their right.

However, currently the practical legality of the situation is that Northern Ireland is part of the
    United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Not, incidentally, part of Britain even
    though most Protestants refer to it as "British".

Confusingly some refer to Northern Ireland as "Ulster" which is a county: the county contains
    all the six counties of Northern Ireland and three in the Republic Of Ireland, which is a different
    country with self-governance.

The Republic Of Ireland (sometimes ROI) or "Eire" ( pronounced air-uh) in gaelic, won independence
    from Great Britain a hundred years ago. It compromises southern Ireland geographically. Interestingly
    the elected leader of Ireland is often mistranslated as "president" or "prime minister" whereas the
    literal translation is "chieftain".

Quote Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
    It's not really a contradiction. They're just pointing out and celebrating their ethnic origins.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, in Québec it does not matter. Any Canadian that speaks English is "un Anglais". The origin has nothing to do with it. You're called Fitzpatrick? English. O'Brian? English. McDonald? English. Evans? English.

"My name is Wong."
    "You're mainly speaking English?"
    "Why, yes."
    "English."

When we want to talk about the British, we would say "les Britanniques" and most often "Anglais d'Angleterre." Again, it makes little difference if the Brit is from London, Cardiff or Glasgow...

Americans? Well, they're Americans, of course.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"