Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Not, not really.

As a gun owner and proponent of the 2nd amendment, I value my rights. The 2nd amendment isn't about hunting, sport, or even home defense, it's about the citizens maintaining the right to defend themselves against a tyrannical government. We are a very individualistic society which values personal liberties and safety.

The NRA, at it's core is about a large group of gun owners pooling their voices and monetary resources together to lobby congress to protect their rights, just the same as any other lobbying group. I'm not even a NRA member, but I can understand their mission.

We live in a Age where Some in America are willing to limit freedoms in the name of safety, or perceived safety, it's no surprise that it has people on edge.
    That is a opinion not shared by the Supreme Court if you want to say it is what the Second Amendment is about. It is about the right to defend yourself with a firearm also, which is a right separate from the militia. This is the ruling by the Supreme Court. Surprised you do not know that Tony.

Also I find it amusing the OP was critical of others for bringing up matters about firearms in another thread and being so adamant we should be doing it in the Gun Control thread. Yet is guilty of doing the same thing. :P

Decent.

Sigh, I don't want to get into this in detail, but this is a topic I am particularly familiar with.

Asymmetric warfare can be very effective, things like IED's, ambushes, Snipers, etc etc can be very effective at holding a much larger force at bay.

Some things to think about.

1. A large % of the U.S. military would refuse any order to fire upon the civilian populace unless under very extreme circumstances (I.E. Looters or violence criminals during times of martial law after a major disaster).

Many would just refuse to fight, they swear an oath to the constitution, not to any particular person.

2. During the civil rights movement, over 60k troops were deployed to secure Little rock AR. That's a lot of troops, now imagine a larger Metropolitan City

3. the government would be reluctant to use large munitions, or drone strikes that would lead to collateral casualties, support among citizens, especially here at home, would vanish almost immediately if they engaged in such warfare.

Those points, if elaborated in full, would fill entire books.
    Do you have any examples of civilians overthrowing their government by force post WW2? I can't think of any.

You get labeled terrorists and all reluctance to use force goes out the window. If you have a rifle they'll bring a machine gun. If you have a machine gun they'll bring artillery.

Look at the Kurdish diaspora for an example.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bighud44 View Post
    NOPE....Its a Constitutional right...

- - - Updated - - -
    It is really this simple of a answer. Saying gun ownership in the US is becoming a cult, is like saying protesters exercising their Constitutional right are becoming one too. When the protesters are irresponsible and protest in a unlawful way, it makes them criminals. Just like it does for gun owners who use a firearm in a irresponsible and unlawful way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Lol. Good one. Nice humor Hubcap. There is a part in the bible where he says, " those who have no sword, get one."

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    That is a opinion not shared by the Supreme Court if you want to say it is what the Second Amendment is about. It is about the right to defend yourself with a firearm also, which is a right separate from the militia. This is the ruling by the Supreme Court. Surprised you do not know that Tony.

Also I find it amusing the OP was critical of others for bringing up matters about firearms in another thread and being so adamant we should be doing it in the Gun Control thread. Yet is guilty of doing the same thing. :P
    the original intent was to provide the citizens a way to protect themselves, refer back to the quote about blood of tyrants, but that's a discussion for another time.

A sawed off? that's gonna hurt your wrist.
    Probably a different meaning in different places. In my area, it's a shortened stock and barrel to keep the gun tighter to the body so it's less likely to be grabbed in tight spaces. I'm assuming you're thinking of a pistol grip with no buttstock. Yeah....I think that would suck....lol
    The first explanation means you don't know. The second means you don't understand. The third means you can't accept the answer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Swords are ridiculously unwieldy, especially in close quarters like modern houses, especially for people untrained, or, you know, lacking physical strength.

The idea of "I collect these, and am proficient with them, means most people should have them" is silly.
    I agree with this. In close quarters inside a home, they would suck. And if the intruder is armed with a firearm, you are screwed. If they are breaking in and you hear the sound, grab your firearm and be ready for them. They are actually at the disadvantage, even if they are armed with a firearm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Being political has become a cult, and that includes owning weapons (as well as many other facets of American culture, we're divided on just about everything.)
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    the original intent was to provide the citizens a way to protect themselves, refer back to the quote about blood of tyrants, but that's a discussion for another time.
    That may be and I certainly am not disputing that. I just happen to disagree it was the only consideration and the Supreme Court agrees with my opinion. You can not mention a part of a right as if it was the only consideration, without including all the parts for the basis for it. This is a important issue. As some want to argue it was the only meaning and thus times have changed and we have no need for a militia anymore, since we have the National Guard.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2017-12-02 at 10:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering I've seen grown men treat gun ownership like girls in school treat selfies, all I can say is maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaniac17 View Post
    Do you have any examples of civilians overthrowing their government by force post WW2? I can't think of any.

You get labeled terrorists and all reluctance to use force goes out the window. If you have a rifle they'll bring a machine gun. If you have a machine gun they'll bring artillery.

Look at the Kurdish diaspora for an example.
    I can give you plenty of examples of Asymmetrical warfare holding back far superior militaries.

Well, being as he's making the assumption, he has to prove that gun ownership *is* a cult, otherwise it's just an opinion.

and if that's the case, it's my opinion that it's not.
    And like I said you would be factually wrong about that, Hell the NRA itself proves you to be wrong.

Something having a cult like fallowing is no different then someone being a fanboy to a game company.

So if you are saying there can't be a cult or cult like fallowing for guns then you also admit there is no such thing as fanboy's?
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Calling firearms ownership a cult in the US is like calling martial arts training a cult in Japan. Both are types of personal defense that are based in cultural values and traditions, and there are benefits/drawbacks to each.
    Well said Celista. One of the best answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Being political has become a cult, and that includes owning weapons (as well as many other facets of American culture, we're divided on just about everything.)
    Yep this really does sum it up sadly.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

no, it's just being threatened more, and people don't want it to go away.

i don't want the 2nd amendment to go away. it's not the solution to the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    And like I said you would be factually wrong about that, Hell the NRA itself proves you to be wrong.

Something having a cult like fallowing is no different then someone being a fanboy to a game company.

So if you are saying there can't be a cult or cult like fallowing for guns then you also admit there is no such thing as fanboy's?
    No it does not. Does belonging to a golf club make you a member of a cult? The golf club of course is going to promote the sport and if they care about the sport, they would defend it too.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisnumbers View Post
    "Among the 1,300 children who die each year from firearm-related injuries, 53 per cent are homicides, 38 per cent are suicides and 6 per cent are unintentional.
    I just have to be a parent and eliminate possibility of accidents.
    Six percent is still far too many. But yes, you are correct, none of those people were real parents if that's what happened to their kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I agree with this. In close quarters inside a home, they would suck. And if the intruder is armed with a firearm, you are screwed. If they are breaking in and you hear the sound, grab your firearm and be ready for them. They are actually at the disadvantage, even if they are armed with a firearm.
    A katana or other two handed sword would suck, but a short sword in close quarters would do just fine against an intruder. Of course, that would be "Plan B", as you should always grab a firearm first because you don't know what the intruder is carrying.
    The first explanation means you don't know. The second means you don't understand. The third means you can't accept the answer.

It's more about the fact that one thing doesn't have to do with the other, it's like saying that the left keeps calling our current government fascist, but advocating for the removal of the 2nd amendment.

Furthermore, cruise missles and tanks wouldn't be able to be used by a majority of the population not only that, but both those weapons systems also create a lot of collateral damage.
    So does say an AR 15. Not nearly the same scale, but you don't have to be a crack shot to hurt, maim or murder plenty of people with one.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    Personally, I'm kind of on board with the notion that many gun owners border on being cultish and worshiping their weapons but... some of it I can understand. I come from Eastern Kentucky originally, and stuff like Blair Mountain was stories passed down to us, and regardless of people outside the areas opinions on it:

Private planes were hired to drop homemade bombs on the miners. A combination of gas and explosive bombs left over from World War I were dropped in several locations near the towns of Jeffery, Sharples and Blair. At least one did not explode and was recovered by the miners; it was used months later to great effect during treason and murder trials following the battle.
    Stuff like this, and the fact that people quesitoned how private those planes really were among other things, tend to still create a great deal of distrust towards the government (republican or democrat in office) so people cling to their guns, and that passes down the family tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post

no, im not factually wrong about that. A cult insinuates a religious obsession. I have yet to meet someone that worshipped guns.