Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Winklevoss twins become first Bitcoin billionaires

How Winklevoss twins used $11m Facebook payout to become world's first Bitcoin billionaires

The twin brothers who sued Mark Zuckerberg claiming he stole the idea for Facebook are worth more than $1bn after capitalising on the astonishing rise in Bitcoin.

An $11m (£8m) bet on Bitcoin made by Tyler and Cameron Winklevoss over four years ago has ballooned by almost 10,000pc after last week’s price surge. It is believed to be the first billion-dollar return made by a cryptocurrency investor, a landmark moment for the controversial asset.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...-billionaires/
    (paywall)

Not once but twice they will make a killing by not doing a damn thing

Deleted
    As with most things, if you have money...you can make more money as you can take risks than other people can't. If I was a millionaire I'd invest 50k in every new crypto currency, one of them is bound to take off and pay for the failed ones.

my biggest regret is not investing in bitcoin when it was 10 dollars a coin /cry
    mr pickles

10+ Year Old Account
    what an inspiring story of two impoverished men pulling themselves up by their bootstraps

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    As with most things, if you have money...you can make more money as you can take risks than other people can't. If I was a millionaire I'd invest 50k in every new crypto currency, one of them is bound to take off and pay for the failed ones.
    Exactly.

While this is one hell of a return (about 10,000%) your statement is completely spot on: it's not hard to make money when you have money. If I had 11 million to kick around for funsies (and lets face it, these guys had to have more than 11M if they were willing to drop 11M on just Bitcoin) I'd be investing it in all the latest cryptocurrencies and other tech startups.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Yep! This is a reason why I'm in favour of a progressive tax vs. a flat one. It's easier to make money when you have it. The people at the bottom are just trying to eat and maintain a shelter. Some (not all) of the most rich among us are idle and just put money somewhere and do whatever they like. No empathy for people just trying to live which pisses me off a lot more than people who abuse welfare.
    "Punching things is cool and stuff. Pow bam bam bam Pow. O yah... God I'm eloquent." -Dalai Lama

Deleted
    Not even hot twins, though Winklevoss is an amusing name.

Quote Originally Posted by Height View Post
    Yep! This is a reason why I'm in favour of a progressive tax vs. a flat one. It's easier to make money when you have it. The people at the bottom are just trying to eat and maintain a shelter. Some (not all) of the most rich among us are idle and just put money somewhere and do whatever they like. No empathy for people just trying to live which pisses me off a lot more than people who abuse welfare.
    You have stuff I don't, gimme gimme gimme

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    You have stuff I don't, gimme gimme gimme
    Can't believe people want basic things like food healthcare and shelter. Greedy, jealous bastards!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    Can't believe people want basic things like food healthcare and shelter. Greedy, jealous bastards!
    Guns trump healthcare for Tony

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Guns trump healthcare for Tony
    killing foreigners is more important than housing the homeless for him too

Deleted
    Their faces are very punchable.

It seems the more money you have the more you are afraid to spend tho, dunno why but rich adults I've known are more sensitive about it than others and they all say they missed many opportunities to make even more money, they cry about having less now etc...

Quote Originally Posted by gyrados View Post
    my biggest regret is not investing in bitcoin when it was 10 dollars a coin /cry
    Yup, missed that gravy train.

"Earning" money is easy when you're already filthy rich. It's a huge flaw in the system when owning stuff gets you more money than contributing anything.

what an inspiring story of two impoverished men pulling themselves up by their bootstraps
    can you smell the jealousy

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    "Earning" money is easy when you're already filthy rich. It's a huge flaw in the system when owning stuff gets you more money than contributing anything.
    for real we should all start out broke. only the government can assure such a feat. great ideas from you!

- - - Updated - - -

dirty foreigners! wait who we talking about? me? oh shit!

- - - Updated - - -

for free? i think that is very greedy and something a bastard would do.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    It really is. If I had millions, I'd just buy apartments with it, and put an investment firm in charge of renting them. Much like owners of the place I'm renting have done. Money rolls in every month without having to lift a finger, and the value of all properties are only going up and up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

By directly taking them from.someone else?

Hell.im not against social nets, however I find the robin hood mentality disturbing.

- - - Updated - - -

Depends on the foreigner.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    It really is. If I had millions, I'd just buy apartments with it, and put an investment firm in charge of renting them. Much like owners of the place I'm renting have done. Money rolls in every month without having to lift a finger, and the value of all properties are only going up and up.
    So what's your answer, confiscate someone's income in the name of fairness comradette?

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    So what's your answer, confiscate someone's income in the name of fairness comradette?
    I must patent the idea first, to make billions out of the solutions, before telling you.

But...I feel like the concept of taxes has already been invented. Perhaps you've even heard of it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Want to see the price of Bitcoin crash, lets see them cash out...