Thread: RPPVP servers?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacktales View Post
    I rarely ever encounter RPers , anymore. So it feels like the RP-Scene has diminished a lot, but maybe i'm painting too black here.
    Are you playing on an RP server though?
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    Well, having played extensively in Nostalrius, I can tell you that the idea of a "MEGAREALM" is extremely bad. In Nostalrius, we have had around 13000 people concurrently online on the main server

...and around 16000 people online during China Prime Time.

Here's why a MEGASERVER is a very stupid idea:

1. The server was UNPLAYABLE during China Prime Time. The systems simply could not take much more than around 14000 players and still provide a lag free experience. As far as I recall, we had a 4 second delay on actions, spells and abiloties.

2. Quests that relied on mobs that spawned on a timer were IMPOSSIBLE TO DO. Case in point, the Hunter Quest. In each demon spawn point there were always several hunters in waiting, typically from the same faction so you couldn't kill them, and there were also several griefers. The end result was that the quest was not doable for a large art of the playerbase for several MONTHS on end.

3. Word PvP & Honor Requirements: Because there were OVER 20000 players participating in the Honor System at the same time on the same server, ranking in PvP required an ABSURDLY HIGH NUMBER OF HONOR POINTS. This meant that there were many desperate people for honor points who camped choke points around the world.

For instance, I was attacked at one point in Nostalrius three times in Ashenvale as a 60 geared Hunter by three Horde 60 PvP'ers while on the road from Astranaar to the border between Ashenvale and Felwood.

The whole world was camped. It went beyond the point of "world pvp" to the point of "world pvp clusterf*ck".

I have read so much BS in here by clueless ppl that I really hope that Blizzard won't base some of their decisions on how to run the new Classic server on peope who post in here and in the Retail forums.
    Yeah, your criminal private servers are too busy being shitty scams to handle that kind of thing, it is true.

Blizz could probably make it work though.

I can't really see a need for it? Where is there specifically in classic that you want to RP that you can't in retail?

I mean potentially you could have some pre and post-sundering plotlines in your RP but that's about all I can think of?

Just don't see why people would re-roll to RP on a Classic realm when they can RP on the realm they're already on? But then I'm not an RP-er.

I would imagine you will have a PVE and PVP server(s) almost guaranteed. Maybe an RP server(s) on the side. I would say a pretty likely side because it gives them a space to have naming policies and a spot that 'herds the cats' so to speak so they aren't so spread out they never find each other.

With the increases in technology - hardware, software, virtualization, etc. - mega-servers are a given. As for the RP realms, yes, they were introduced in Classic, so I don't see why they would be excluded.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    If today's technology allows it, 1 megaserver would be IDEAL, but i'm guessing 2-3 per region (1 pvp, 1 pve, 1 rp), with probably fresh ones opening 6-12-18-24 months down the line.
    It would be possible with current tech.

However, Vanilla client doesn't support such functions.