Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Jaguars to receive 350 pounds of bologna

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Most people would say the reason for the Jacksonville Jaguars' success in 2017 is their defense, which leads the NFL in scoring and sacks.

Or the fact that they have the league's best run game.

Not Eric Mittenthal. He's pretty sure it's bologna.

Specifically, the bologna and cheese sandwiches that coach Doug Marrone eats after every game. That's why the Beef Checkoff and National Hot Dog and Sausage Council is sending 100 logs of Boar's Head beef bologna to EverBank Field on Wednesday morning.
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...gna-sandwiches

Takes me back to being a kid poor one of the favorites among mayonnaise sandwiches was fried bologna

That fried bubble in the middle.

What is your favorite I am on my budget, waiting till Friday or Poor favorites?
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Fried bologna sandwiches take me right back to my childhood! We called it poor mans steak!!

You cant compare a regular bologna sandwich to one that is fried. Frying it takes it to the next level of deliciousness!!!

Deleted
    American cuisine is so classy and tasteful

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I used to eat it when I was an Apprentice and poor as shit. I continued to eat it even when I was earning good money.

Its tasty fried on Cheese Toasties.

I remember when I was a kid we'd eat a lot of baked beans. One day we discovered the trick of adding cheese and chunks of processed meat to it (I don't remember which kind, might've been Devon). Good old poor man's cuisine.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I’ve never been poor or had to budget for food. We always can afford it.
    I have, it sucks.

Those cheapo lunch meats like "bologna" are fucking terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    What the heck is that attrocity of a picture in the OP? O.o

Untoasted toast with mayo and some fake cheese and a slice of fried bologna on top of it?
    And next to it a piece of the same untoasted toast with nacho and chips on it?

And before you ask; no, i don't really consider toast bread.

edit: well our version of poor man's couisine;
    fried mushrooms with eggs or sour creme
    or
    mashed tomatoes (natural self-made ketchup) with some other veggies or some hacked meat mixed into it.

both eaten by dipping pieces of bread into it.
    Last edited by mmocda667d9fcc; 2017-12-06 at 12:47 PM.

Did anyone see the title of the thread and thought it meant Jaguars as in the animal? I thought why would you give bologna to a big cat?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmago View Post

Untoasted toast.
    Isn't that 'bread' ??
    I don't know the recipe for success, but I know that the recipe for failure is trying to please everyone.

Forum stupidity at its finest:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Just because a word is in the dictionary doesn't mean it's true IRL.
    Allatar - EU Aszune | Allatar - D3 Career

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I’ve never been poor or had to budget for food. We always can afford it. I’ve had bologna sandwiches, but never fried. They’re okay, but I buy my meats from the deli - much healthier for you.
    Can I ask if you're from the South/North/ect. Fried bologna is kinda a southern thing like sweet tea.

As to the topic.....superstition is huge in sports.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    I used to eat it when I was an Apprentice and poor as shit. I continued to eat it even when I was earning good money.

Its tasty fried on Cheese Toasties.
    Ditto... bologna is just another food to choose. I personally love a fried bologna sandwich with lettuce and Miracle Whip. Although bologna has changed a good bit over the years... they have so much water and sugar in there that it's not easy to fry it crispy brown.

I mean, bologna is pretty tame stuff compared to other weird crap people buy... head cheese, liverwurst, blood sausage, pate'.... pickled pigs feet, beef tongue, the list of crazy crap people eat makes bologna sound like a true culinary delicacy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kjhidhg View Post
    Did anyone see the title of the thread and thought it meant Jaguars as in the animal? I thought why would you give bologna to a big cat?
    Not being from the US and not knowing what bologna was until I opened the thread I was even more confused.

My initial thought was that it referred to Bologna the city in italy...

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats not a fried bologna sammich in the picture. Its not dark enough and where are the slits? Where the meat at? And why isn't the cheese melted?

I don't know about the bread but this is a fried bologna sammich

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Thats not a fried bologna sammich in the picture. Its not dark enough and where are the slits? Where the meat at? And why isn't the cheese melted?

I don't know about the bread but this is a fried bologna sammich

Now that's a sandwich!

Personally I'm more of a BLT or club sandwich kind of guy.

7+ Year Old Account
    I was hoping this would have been a thread about jaguars eating a giant thing of baloney. Oh well.

my bologna has a first name.. it's O-S-C-A-R

10+ Year Old Account
    Refried bean burritos with Mexican rice. Depending on how tight the budget is you may be able to go with a bit of chorizo, some eggs, or some cheese.

Really cheap ramen, that used to be Maruchan. Boil in plain water, drain, season. If you're doing this with any regularity, you got the case price on the ramen and have seasonings on hand. For me that used to involve decent soy sauce, fish sauce, chili peppers, lime juice, garlic (powder will do if needed), and sometimes a sprinkle of the soup base if I didn't have anything better on hand. Garnish with a bit of egg, tuna, or stir-fried vegetables (even just a bit of onion helps). How much of the seasonings and in what combination can be changed according to your mood. I also tended to keep dark Chinese vinegar on hand. If you have access to boxes or bundles of Chinese noodles, that will let you have something to use instead of ramen.

Basmati rice with Punjabi mixed pickle I used to like this stuff, I even brought two cans to China when I came here (despite being limited to airline baggage allowances).

Supplement with some fried egg, whatever meat you can find reduced for quick sale at the supermarket, even just some fried vegetables (frozen peas are handy)

If you are somewhat comfortable around the kitchen, consider getting familiar with Indian cooking. I used to enjoy things like dal even when the budget could have afforded something fancier. If you aren't comfortable with it yet, consider at least trying some of the canned stuff (easy to keep around).
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

For some reason I thought of Jaguar, as the car. Safe to say I was a little confused.

I haven't had any sort of "almost meat"-type foods since I became an adult and in control of my own finances and food intake.

I love me a Croque Madame now and then. :d

Never had bologna, but I used to love spam musubi as a kid/teen when I lived in Hawaii.

Probably Chip Beef on Toast. I still make it to this day when I wanna have something cheap and easy that brings me back to my childhood. We never really were ever in a hard spot for food, but for some reason this dish really remained a favorite.
    The future belongs not to those who wait...