Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Doki Doki Literature Club

I'm going to put everything in a spoiler bracket because this is a very spoilery game. But I'm looking for some feedback from people who have played it.

DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED IT

Needless to say, the warning at the beginning of the game has me worried. I have had some pretty dark experiences during my life and unfortunately it has made me worse for wear. But my curiosity is getting the better of me and I want to play this game.

I have read a lot of darker themed visual novels. The two that come to mind are Saya no Uta and Muv Luv Alternative. Saya no Uta wasn't horrible, but two or three scenes really messed me up for a few days.

I guess I just want to hear people's experiences with this game and how it affected you, particularly from those who may (sadly) be able to relate to the dark themes.

Chances are I'm not going to play it considering how I'm shaken and I haven't even touched it, but I'm curious nonetheless
    Last edited by Not A Cat; 2017-12-06 at 08:52 AM.
    The proper waifu is a wholesome supplement for one's intrinsic need for belonging and purpose.

Deleted
    Without spoiling much, it's a dating sim with 4-world breaking stuff, files manipulation and jump scares.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    This game proves how easily it is to both amaze and amuse people.

okay so the warning gave me more anxiety than the game itself. It made me set my expectations a little too high. It's not much different from stuff I've played/read in the past. I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit. I like meta-stuff like this.

Needless to say I'm still horribly uncomfortable, but nothing that will destroy me.

Doesn't hold a candle to Saya no Uta that's for sure, fuck that... thing...
    The proper waifu is a wholesome supplement for one's intrinsic need for belonging and purpose.

10+ Year Old Account
    All I know about the game are the memes

10+ Year Old Account
    Just finished it, it's pretty great for what it is. The fact that it's free and executed really well helps a ton.

I sympathize with all the characters, good stuff. Something I think most people would enjoy experiencing.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    This game proves how easily it is to both amaze and amuse people.
    I have to agree, apparently editing a file makes some people feel like total h4xx0rs, same as back then with that devil pony game.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I have to agree, apparently editing a file makes some people feel like total h4xx0rs, same as back then with that devil pony game.
    Editing a file isn't what makes this game amusing. The reason I liked it - and I've heard the same from those I've talked to - was because of the characters and premise. Are you implying that if that part was removed, people wouldn't like the game?

Pony Island was a great game, too, for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    Editing a file isn't what makes this game amusing. The reason I liked it - and I've heard the same from those I've talked to - was because of the characters and premise. Are you implying that if that part was removed, people wouldn't like the game?

Pony Island was a great game, too, for what it's worth.
    No, I'm saying that if that meta gaming part was removed it would just be another dating sim among 1000s, most of them have some likeable characters. At least I was rarely appaled by most of them.

Maybe I'm just messed in the head or something, which I wouldn't argue against, or that I seen too many spoilers/memes that I was expecting to see in the game, but the 'horror' part of the game isn't as bad as people make it out to be. I honestly think for the scares and that it's on par with those parody horror movies that you know exactly when the scares are coming (in the game, music will stop playing/background starts changing, things like that which give it away). That's all forgivable though because the story was amazingly executed and was short enough (took me 5 hours to completely play through to end) to keep you interested.

The warning is for people who have had people they know um.. without spoiling.. go through rough times recently or maybe are heavily inclined towards depression. The developers of the game probably wanted to cover their bases in case someone committed suicide from the game or something.

It was a pretty cool game and I enjoyed watching Sodapoppin play it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love watching folks play it without knowing anything about what's to come.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gamegrumps playthrough has been great

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Gamegrumps playthrough has been great
    man I love them, but I can't stand the fact that they take 50 episodes to play stuffs, need moar than 12 minute vidyas

Yuri best girl, nobody else makes the cut.

Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    Yuri best girl, nobody else makes the cut.
    I saw what you did there.

Spoilers (just in case)
    http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...20/889/f19.gif

there is a plot hole in that scene. Why a regular cooking knife?????

is there no good ending?

also, i don't really understand how this is a game. there's no gameplay to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    [Just Monika] best girl, nobody else makes it.
    Fixed that for you

im not sure how a good ending would be possible lol.
    save monika to a usb drive and be with her forever i guess