If I have a computer science degree, can I refre to myself as a scientist?

What is the correct terminology? Scientist? Programmer? Coder? I like scientist so I wanted to use that. Maybe wear a white lab coat.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    What is the correct terminology? Scientist? Programmer? Coder? I like scientist so I wanted to use that. Maybe wear a white lab coat.
    Someone with a Computer Science degree is no more a scientist than someone with a PhD is a philosopher.

What you call yourself depends on what you DO, not on what you KNOW.

I'm a systems analyst and software engineer, and I have a BE degree and no BCompSci degree.

So - what do you actually do ?

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Don't you at least have to have a doctorates before you call yourself a scientist? And work in research or something?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Call yourself whatever you want, we will just laugh at it and move on. I've seen some RIDICULOUS email signatures in business emails with their "degrees" even for some glorified assistants. People always want to be the big fish in a small pond *hint hint*.

Is the word scientist protected?

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Don't you at least have to have a doctorates before you call yourself a scientist? And work in research or something?
    More so work in research rather than a specific degree. I work with scientists who only have a bachelors, some who are masters, and some with their doctorates.

Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    No, but that wasn't the question. It was about how to accurately refer to themselves insofar as their profession is concerned. I can refer to myself as a praetor, but its not an accurate description of what I do.

Not sure. Many people who did not have a formal academic doctorate still contributed vastly to the scientific community, Michael Faraday being one of the most obvious examples.

Deleted
    Found my degree, and it literally says: "... and hereby has the right to call himself cand.scient. in computer science. Master of Science (MSc) in Computer Science candidatus scientiarum".

Normally just call myself a programmer, IT-consultant, backender or database guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    More so work in research rather than a specific degree. I work with scientists who only have a bachelors, some who are masters, and some with their doctorates.

No, but that wasn't the question. It was about how to accurately refer to themselves insofar as their profession is concerned. I can refer to myself as a praetor, but its not an accurate description of what I do.
    You can't use logic with elba. He'll just call you racist or something.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    If I have a computer science degree, can I refre to myself as a scientist?
    Well, no... but you could call yourself a "science guy" like Bill Nye.

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    You can't use logic with elba. He'll just call you racist or something.
    But that's not an accurate description of my job either.

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    But that's not an accurate description of my job either.
    He doesn't care. He'll still call you it.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    What you call yourself depends on what you DO, not on what you KNOW.
    QFT

If you're doing research in the field, sure, you can call yourself a scientist. If you are like me, using your CS skills to produce software, not a scientist imo.

- - - Updated - - -

Am I the only one who took this as a joke? Which I expect is how Elba meant it.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Programmer or coder would be the most accurate term.

Scientists (at least ones who aren't scamming people or involved in faking something) are people who are systematically trying to acquire knowledge that describes and predicts things in their area of interest. As a programmer, that definitely would not include you.

As far as I know you have to do research within a certain academic field before you can call yourself a scientist in that field.

Like if you work as a researcher at a computer firm then you could refer to yourself as a scientist in that field.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You don't need a degree to be a scientist
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

If you have a bachelors in science you're a scientist, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

There's no licence or board protecting the word "scientist" where I am. I could call myself a scientist because I do chemistry every day in a kitchen.

Here's the catch: I don't call myself a scientist, even though my undergraduate degree is a Bachelor of Science, because I don't consider what I do to be science.

A working person with a degree in Computer Science is probably better described as an engineer. /shrug.

But, you can call yourself anything your morals and ethics and the law will allow you to. So, you can't be a lawyer or accountant, but you certainly can be a scientist if that's what you call it.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.