Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Just saw it with a friend and we both liked it.
    Despite the predictable changes to the story to better fit the 122-minutes limit it was still very true to the original mangas (which i later dug up and reread). Every one who read them will recognise the various scenes even with the changes. And they set it up beautifully for a second (and third) movie. Quite a lot of potential.
    I'd give it 8/10 for just the movie itself.
    If i were a stickler for 'but they deviated from the mangas' i'd have to lower that to a 6/10, but i won't do that. Movies are movies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Given how well it is doing, I think we will get more Alita in the future. The movie did phenomenally well in East Asia and better than expected in America whilst living in the overbearing shadow of the MCU and the unholy magicks of Disney pervading everything to promote it. Alita manages to outshine despite recieving almost no media attention in the English speaking world and its source material being from Japan.

I loved this movie. Love Rosa Salazaar's portrayal and am glad Rodriguez is down to make more of these films and it is on track to bring in profit. Alita has done exceptionally well despite hitting major headwinds against it. Imagine if it had just a sliver of the resources and backing an MCU movie had.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Probably the best anime to movie I've ever seen. That is not saying a lot though, as anime-shows as a rule have terrible storylines, and over-the-top concepts IMO.

Enjoyed the movie, gave me abit of a ready player one feel.
    Hope it will do well so that film makers will look into anime alot more i think Trigun might be a good anime to transfer into a movie in the future.

Just watched it. The plot holes and overall moronic behaviour of nearly every character killed almost all fun I had.
    Worst offender being Hugo.
    Last edited by Galathir; 2019-03-02 at 07:04 PM.

People are spoiled brats. I just can't understand all the heavy nitpicking...

So a move needs to have perfect depth, action, CGI, character development, (book, comic etc adaption) to screen, answer all the "loopholes" ...

Do you people understand that you act like entitled brats?

And all that in 2 h movie?

Ya, all insane...

Ok let's go...

You can nitpick at any movie however good it is, with plot points and lore etc, you can ( there are people better than me ) who can tear apart LOTR, original star wars, I mean any "fantastic movie" into pieces, terminator etc etc etc

Yes the move has a rushed end, yes some characters are meh, and yes then changed some things in the manga for the purpose of a move adaption... yes I do not claim it needs to be a 10/10, or that it is a 10/10

That just my opinion, that peoples own ego drives them to shit down on good things.

If you want to make the movie look bad, you nitpick the shit out of it and that's what people are doing. ( not saying that some parts of the movie are bad )

It's like WC movie, 2-3, thus key scenes like the SLOW MOE GARONA or the forced Lothars sons death, ruined the movie for me, but is the other 90% of it enjoyable and a good ride? Ya it is

Quote Originally Posted by Inagumi View Post
    People are spoiled brats. I just can't understand all the heavy nitpicking...

So a move needs to have perfect depth, action, CGI, character development, (book, comic etc adaption) to screen, answer all the "loopholes" ...

Do you people understand that you act like entitled brats?

And all that in 2 h movie?

Ya, all insane...

Ok let's go...

You can nitpick at any movie however good it is, with plot points and lore etc, you can ( there are people better than me ) who can tear apart LOTR, original star wars, I mean any "fantastic movie" into pieces, terminator etc etc etc

Yes the move has a rushed end, yes some characters are meh, and yes then changed some things in the manga for the purpose of a move adaption... yes I do not claim it needs to be a 10/10, or that it is a 10/10

That just my opinion, that peoples own ego drives them to shit down on good things.

If you want to make the movie look bad, you nitpick the shit out of it and that's what people are doing. ( not saying that some parts of the movie are bad )

It's like WC movie, 2-3, thus key scenes like the SLOW MOE GARONA or the forced Lothars sons death, ruined the movie for me, but is the other 90% of it enjoyable and a good ride? Ya it is
    I agree with your mentality, but I also think it's okay to not like a film. A lot of it is based on taste. In terms of directing, Alita is actually one of the stronger films I have seen in some time. However, I acknowledge it has flaws. I think it's fine some people on here disliked it. I just dislike when people bash a film without stating a reason or for illogical reasons.

As for Warcraft, I heavily enjoyed the orc portion of it. They did an amazing job on Durotan's character. However, the movie took a nosedive whenever they focused on the humans. There was a lot of bad acting, cheesy dialogue, and bland character development. That was enough to cause me to dislike the film, which was pretty sad for me considering I am a huge fan of Warcraft 3 and World of Warcraft.

Hmf...some complained about the eyes, and likely overlooked an intriguing coincidence that suggested a reason that I'm not sure of behind their size.Everyone from URM, including her superior/trainer played by Michelle Rodriguez, also had large eyes.

Here are the key points:

-Visuals are some of the best in a sci fi action movie I've seen. It was like watching a live action/CG megaman done right.

-Character development is fantastic (Dr Ido was an incredible character)

-World building was top notch

-HOWEVER, the story was somewhat lackluster other than the Urm stuff and you could see the twists coming a mile away.

Solid 7.5/10

If they make a second one, I'll go see it on opening day. You don't get many sci fi action movies this good outside of star trek/wars.
    I think I've had enough of removing avatars today that feature girls covered in semen. Closing.
    -Darsithis

Quote Originally Posted by Asphyx22 View Post
    I agree with your mentality, but I also think it's okay to not like a film. A lot of it is based on taste. In terms of directing, Alita is actually one of the stronger films I have seen in some time. However, I acknowledge it has flaws. I think it's fine some people on here disliked it. I just dislike when people bash a film without stating a reason or for illogical reasons.

As for Warcraft, I heavily enjoyed the orc portion of it. They did an amazing job on Durotan's character. However, the movie took a nosedive whenever they focused on the humans. There was a lot of bad acting, cheesy dialogue, and bland character development. That was enough to cause me to dislike the film, which was pretty sad for me considering I am a huge fan of Warcraft 3 and World of Warcraft.
    You are correct. Its perfectly fine to dislike 1 film. Thats not the case in todays world. People bitch about EVERYTHING. Its unreal man. Its non-stop crying , bitching, and moaning about anything and everything people can. People are very illogical in todays age. I hated the Leia mary poppins stuff in Episode 8. This doesn't mean I go on to hate Pirates of the Caribbean because its a disney movie lol. This is how irrational people are today.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonkaden View Post
    You are correct. Its perfectly fine to dislike 1 film. Thats not the case in todays world. People bitch about EVERYTHING. Its unreal man. Its non-stop crying , bitching, and moaning about anything and everything people can. People are very illogical in todays age. I hated the Leia mary poppins stuff in Episode 8. This doesn't mean I go on to hate Pirates of the Caribbean because its a disney movie lol. This is how irrational people are today.
    I feel the same. I'm not super fond of the recent stuff Brie Larson has said, but the constant political debates and #AlitavsCaptainMarvel trend turns me off so fast. I understand to a degree why people are doing it, but it has spawned so much hate and controversy that I just do not want to see anymore. It's hard for me to completely discount the argument because I also thought Alita sent a better message than Marvel could about feminism with Captain Marvel, but it's gone a bit too far. Films today are being turned into political tools to fight opposing parties, and it sucks.

Another thing to note is I think people are intimidated by how powerful and controlling Disney has become. They now own Fox, Marvel, Star Wars, and more. I'm not sure what to think of that at the moment, but it does seem a tad scary from my point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Asphyx22 View Post

Its totaly OK to not like a movie sure , you dont need to like it but i get the feeling people sometimes just bash and go on a hate train and point out everything they get to, poeple forgott how to enyoy simple storys and jsut have a fun time , sometimes, cos everything needs to be deep and perfect, well things can't be that all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Inagumi View Post
    Its totaly OK to not like a movie sure , you dont need to like it but i get the feeling people sometimes just bash and go on a hate train and point out everything they get to, poeple forgott how to enyoy simple storys and jsut have a fun time , sometimes, cos everything needs to be deep and perfect, well things can't be that all the time
    Yeah, I'm not fond of bashing either. There are a lot of extremely negative people out there that will go out of their way to belittle others simply for enjoying something,

It wasent a perfect film, but it scratched my bug for cyberpunk action. The effects looked cool? It was like watching live action anime, mabye we can get more of those that dont try so hard to not be what their source material was. We can thank marvel movies that finally embraced their flashy dumb shit that used to be the reason x was for "kids".

Making stuff exclusively for kids is a shit move to begin with, theres always more adults then kids in the world at any given time. They are who consume the most shit.

I watched this movie and enjoyed it, not having seen the anime.
    It was good enough for me to enjoy it but, it's not a movie I'd really recommend to others.

I managed to wrangle some friends into seeing this instead of captain marvel, none of us actually like carol danvers aka the shittier version of 90's rogue but some are "i watched the rest" completionists for the MCU, and overall i recommend it. It isn't that faithful to the manga in some respects but its also not a burning trashfire like Dragonball Evolution. I left the movie thinking 'boy thats the first cyberpunk movie i've enjoyed in years'. A lot of it felt more videogamey, theres a character in particular that spends a portion looking like a bloodborne hunter cosplay but overall i enjoyed it. Pacings way too fast at the start, way too slow at the end but i enjoyed the ride and was reminded to some degree of turn of the century films like the matrix and dark city. If you wan't sci-fi thats not guns and explosions and end of the world scenarios i'd say check it out.

Also boy did it ride its 12A using the samurai jack rules of "if its a robot body and doesnt bleed red you can get gorey as you want" huh?

-also the trailers before it? Hellboy, a John Goodman alien invasion flick and Detective Pikachu. Which i guess makes me their target audience but still what a mix.
    Last edited by dope_danny; 2019-03-07 at 11:13 PM.

Watch it last week, very cool. I really enjoyed it! I thought the pacing was very good and the action scenes were fantastic.

Saw it. Loved it, but still bothered by some of the changes.

-Alita using the plasma lance right out of the gate instead of working up to it and starting with the hertza haeon. I feel the hertza haeon is kind of iconic to the early Alita stories, hence why it becomes obsolete by the time of Last Order when she is running into enemies with more advanced techniques. Plus I feel the potential exploding enemies would have made for some spectacular effects.
    -Killing Vector. What the fuck? Mahershala Ali was perfect casting for him and he is present throughout the majority of the manga and you kill him off?! WHY?!
    -Zapan just has the damascus blade? Why? Why was the sword even in the movie? I feel this wound up cheapening Alita's martial arts. Also I hate the space sword look, they should have stuck with the oversized combat knife of the original.
    -There shouldn't be a brain in that box of parts that Vector was prepping to send to Zalem. It's clear Cameron and Rodriguez took heavy influence from the OVA (which was made before that plot revelation occurred in the manga) and didn't see fit to correct that mistake...

-No Desty Nova smugly eating flan. I can stomach the other changes to his portrayal but it was pretty dumb to leave this out.

I can get over all the other changes, but I feel these were very glaring given how easily they could have been fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Saw it. Loved it, but still bothered by some of the changes.

Alita using the plasma lance right out of the gate instead of working up to it and starting with the hertza haeon. I feel the hertza haeon is kind of iconic to the early Alita stories,
    That's not a change though. I just reread the manga last week, you got your order mixed up. She used the plasma lance early on against Makaku, she didn't start using the hertza haeon until around the time she met Jasugun.

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved the movie to bits... Didn't really notice any flaws but then again i have pretty low standards for writing/cheesy lines/plotholes...

I didn't mind the romance subplot either, even if Hugo was kinda meh, i get why she liked/loved him.

I wish the movie was longer, a bit more exposition, a few jobs done as a Hunter Warrior, a couple more scenes of Alita exploring Iron City, show us a bit of her road to qualifying for Motorball league 1 (or whatever it was called)...

If only they made all anime/manga/videogame adaptations with this much passion and thought put into them