Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    You had a computer lab. You just had your head in the sand and apparently didnt pay attention to school maps or labels of rooms as you walked through the school.
    Thanks for telling me about the school that I went to.

Again, some classes had sets of chromebooks negating the need for a computer lab.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Thanks for telling me about the school that I went to.

Again, some classes had sets of chromebooks negating the need for a computer lab.
    you had a computer lab. seriously call up your old school tomorrow now. Youv already admitted you didnt pay attention to the map and you only would have known about it if your class's took you to one. You obviously didnt pay attention to shit as youv already admitted. I dont know why you refuse to admit you had your head in the sand.

you had a computer lab.
    Not in any traditional way no.
    Youv already admitted you didnt pay attention to the map and you only would have known about it if your class's took you to one.
    I never admitted to this at all, I said that if a computer lab were to exist in my school than it would serve little purpose as some classrooms had chromebooks and most students had phones.
    You obviously didnt pay attention to shit as youv already admitted. I dont know why you refuse to admit you had your head in the sand.
    I took AP classes, I hardly had my head in the sand.

I'm so glad I don't have kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Becuase children cannot control themselves, they have no impulse control and if given a little leeway will abuse it.

- - - Updated - - -

will the landlines in the school magically stop working?
    so why even let them have any form of outlet then? Like trading cards?

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Not in any traditional way no.

I never admitted to this at all, I said that if a computer lab were to exist in my school than it would serve little purpose as some classrooms had chromebooks and most students had phones.

I took AP classes, I hardly had my head in the sand.
    you already said if you had one you wouldnt have known unless a class you took took you there. Regardless of wether you had chrome books or not you had a computer lab of at least one but most likely 2-4 labs. just accept it kid, you didnt pay attention and assumed just because you had chromebooks in each class that you didnt have labs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    so why even let them have any form of outlet then? Like trading cards?
    trading cards are banned in alot of schools.

you already said if you had one you wouldnt have known unless a class you took took you there. Regardless of wether you had chrome books or not you had a computer lab of at least one but most likely 2-4 labs. just accept it kid, you didnt pay attention and assumed just because you had chromebooks in each class that you didnt have labs.
    Let me rephrase what I said, I meant that there at one time could have been a more traditional computer lab similar to what we had when I was in elementary and middle school, but by the time I was in high school, there was no computer lab in usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    The ban is including those times. So, in this case, no you can't.

- - - Updated - - -

How can you cheat in between class? Cyber-bulling is going to happen regardless outside of school. If the victim just doesn't pay attention to his phone, he can't be a victim during school hours. Regardless, that's a different problem of just bullying in general. And sexting? How is that a problem? Who cares?

- - - Updated - - -

Okay? So what? As opposed to just ignoring everyone else and doing nothing?

The people who choose to do this were anti social in the first place.
    12 year old girls taking half naked photos with their phones and posting them on facebook... how is that a problem? who cares? right?

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    One must ask what the point of having a cell phone is if you can't use it for a majority of the day that you are away from home.
    Exactly my Opinion. Why do little kids need a Smartphone?

Because they dont. If you are at school, you in theory have (at least In my Country) 1 Hour, or at most 2 Hours of time you *could* be allowed to use your cellphone.
    If someone cant live without his smartphone for that time. (Or basically a Schoolday) You should be considered addicted, and get help.

Quote Originally Posted by natpick View Post
    my wifes a teacher and this already applies to uk schools if im not mistaken,my wife cant even call me on her mobile on school grounds,i think its a good thing tbh.
    Teachers should be Exempt from such rules to be Honest. Oo
    Last edited by LanToaster; 2017-12-13 at 02:01 PM.

Agreed. The only time a kid needs a phone is travelling to and fro the school.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    If they can't keep it turned off and stowed away during school then this is the only option. Hate to be the kid that fucked up and got everybody punished as well.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gonna let you in all on a secret; kids will find ways to waste time regardless of whether or not they have a mobile device handy. You can cut out any and every form of distraction but if they aren't engaged, they're not going to learn.

Honestly, teachers in France just need to git gud.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Stupid idea. What in case of an emergency? Like being trapped somewhere due to a shooter or a fire.
    School Shooter?

This is France, not USA
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Okay fair cop, firstly I shouldn't have answered like an ass, post work buzz does that to me; but I was always lead to believe uniforms were introduced precisely to combat "status" bullying but it's not one of those things I've given thought to so if that's just an urban legend so be it

(As such I thought it was ironic you had picked that as a counter example)
    Eh, we all have shit days. As for why uniforms were introduced, I imagine someone in a position of authority might have used the "combat bullying" as a potential effect, but people tend to forget that when you take away something from any given population, something invariably moves to fill that space. Nature abhors a vacuum. When kids realize they can't bully each other over one thing, they'll just fall back over to the things they can bully each other over.

It's a side effect of socializing people, especially kids; cliques, social groupings based on class, race, fashion, tech, intelligence, sexual orientation; they all start to form because people gravitate toward the things they relate to. It's only when someone from one group tries to awkwardly insert themselves into a group they are either unfamiliar with or on first impressions, not appearing to belong to that conflicts arise. There's also the fact that any newcomer to a social group can be perceived as a threat to the already established social hierarchy. The most popular see the this new person who is garnering attention as a threat to their social status.
    Last edited by NicoWolf; 2017-12-13 at 05:13 PM. Reason: spaces matter

Quote Originally Posted by NicoWolf View Post
    Eh, we all have shit days. As for why uniforms were introduced, I imagine someone in a position of authority might have used the "combat bullying" as a potential effect, but people tend to forget that when you take away something from any given population, something invariably moves to fill that space.
    My understanding from spending 13 miserable years in Catholic school is that uniforms do a few things:

1) Provide parents with a status symbol they can use to lord over their neighbors who send their kids to public school.
    2) Provide school administrators with a clear cut dress code that is easily enforceable, limiting the amount of work they need to do in determining what is appropriate dress, and eliminating the appearance of favoritism when two students inevitably break the same rule and only one is punished.
    3) Provide the school with additional funding, because the uniforms are marked up significantly from what the clothing actually costs.
    4) Provide students with the expectation of business professional dress at an early age, which in theory makes them more likely to dress that way as adults (and by extension, in theory, more likely to succeed professionally)
    5) Put all students on the same playing field in terms of attire, which theoretically reduces bullying. But then the bullying just transitions to "LOL stupid poor kids can't even afford air jordans for gym" "LOL stupid poor kids with a backpack from WalMart" "LOL stupid poor kids have the Staples brand notebooks instead of the Five Star ones" "LOL stupid poor kids with their used books"

Basically, its all a bunch of rich people bullshit. It gives the school a few talking points that can get them out of trouble with helicopter parents, gives the school extra revenue that doesn't really look like revenue (which means the school is in a better position to solicit donations), and makes the snooty parents feel better when they can rub it in the faces of their less-affluent peers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

Deleted
    I don't see many parents in France upset over this

Quote Originally Posted by Antiganon View Post
    My understanding from spending 13 miserable years in Catholic school is that uniforms do a few things:

1) Provide parents with a status symbol they can use to lord over their neighbors who send their kids to public school.
    2) Provide school administrators with a clear cut dress code that is easily enforceable, limiting the amount of work they need to do in determining what is appropriate dress, and eliminating the appearance of favoritism when two students inevitably break the same rule and only one is punished.
    3) Provide the school with additional funding, because the uniforms are marked up significantly from what the clothing actually costs.
    4) Provide students with the expectation of business professional dress at an early age, which in theory makes them more likely to dress that way as adults (and by extension, in theory, more likely to succeed professionally)
    5) Put all students on the same playing field in terms of attire, which theoretically reduces bullying. But then the bullying just transitions to "LOL stupid poor kids can't even afford air jordans for gym" "LOL stupid poor kids with a backpack from WalMart" "LOL stupid poor kids have the Staples brand notebooks instead of the Five Star ones" "LOL stupid poor kids with their used books"

Basically, its all a bunch of rich people bullshit. It gives the school a few talking points that can get them out of trouble with helicopter parents, gives the school extra revenue that doesn't really look like revenue (which means the school is in a better position to solicit donations), and makes the snooty parents feel better when they can rub it in the faces of their less-affluent peers.
    See, the highlighted section is the thing that irritates me; parents, school admins, people in positions of authority attempting to use blanket measures to cover issues that are by their nature individual personality conflicts. Some kids are naturally more social than others. Some are very extroverted. Some, very introverted. One thing all personalities share is that they are inherently unique unto themselves. Some are leaders, some are followers, some go by their way. Saying "uniforms will reduce the problems of X, Y, and Z" is foolish at best and insulting to those it's meant to supposedly protect.

Kids are nasty little shits. Anyone with a few hours of CoD under their belt can attest to this. They have no ethics, no morals, and no sense of selflessness beyond that which gives them some tangible benefit. Changing a dress code doesn't fix this, just like banning a cell phone won't. All it does is redirect the focus onto something else bullies can use as leverage against others.