Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Smartphones must be a nightmare for any teacher and kid. The amount of trolling and bullying kids can do with them is sickening. Now when you get bullied people post it online.
    Last edited by lonely zergling; 2017-12-12 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Befor we go on about how realistic it is to actually find a child or get a useable clue over the cellphone, the 'ban' only permits them to use the phone on school grounds, not actually bringing it to school, right?
    Irrelevant, because the other posters claim was there's no need for a parent to be able to track their child because it's "bad for their development".

But yes, they cannot use the phone on school grounds. The other poster said there was no need for children to have phones at all, which is just a faulty claim, as the ability to contact someone in an emergency is far too important.

let me take a moment to address this even-

In neiter case a cellphone would save you. If the fire is so intense that it has you trapped noone will make it in time to save you anyway, schools and public buildings in general have regular firedrills and secently developed exscape routs, and we also tend to not build our shit out of plywood.
    You're purposely creating a situation where the fire is too intense.
    That doesn't mean there will never be a situation where you could use the phone to contact the fire department to tell them exactly where you are in the building, along with others, to help them evacuate you faster.

Screaming into a phone with an active shooter will only make you a target. If there are shots fired in a school or anywhere you can be damn well certain the cops know about it in minutes. It's europe, not the middle east/US.
    No one is going to be screaming into a phone. You hide, take cover, whatever.

Then you use the phone to call the cops, talking low, and let them know where the shooter is.

You are vastly downplaying the usage here.
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2017-12-12 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    They survived going to school without phones back then so they can also do so now.
    Try brought game boys. CDs mp3s trading cards and the list goes on.

They survived going to school without phones back then so they can also do so now.
    People also survived without vaccines 500 years ago but it doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Jesus Christ that logic.

Deleted
    Good you don't need a phone during school hours... Especially now when kids can basically just use Google on their phone to do schoolwork

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Try brought game boys. CDs mp3s trading cards and the list goes on.
    Those were banned during lessons too

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    The defensiveness and uhh... seeming hostility in your reply is leading me to believe that you don't actually have any research to back up that claim, it's just a "gut feeling"

but thanks for psycho-analyzing me, though again I'm going to assume you don't have a source to base that analysis on so I'll just discount it.

also teenagers being able to contact their parents = constantly being watched by big brother.... uh huh...
    I am speaking specifically about the spyware promoted and sold to parents to control their kids movements. Not analyzing you at all, there is only a difference how europeans look at privacy online and how americans look at it.

Far from being hostile, interesting you think i am if i bump unto it i'll link it. However exercising said control has never been worth the false sense of security it provides, what is about the only argument for kids to always have a phone on them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    The alternative being the child gets kidnapped and never found again because they had no way to contact anyone or be tracked down?
    A person who kidnaps anyone or does any crime these days are fully aware that the phone is the first thing you go for and demolish. That is hardly a new concept and such apps in my opinion create a false sense of security.

I rather have a social control system being key and having a trust relationship so parents have some idea where their kids are. Rather than encouraging kids especially teens to hide their whereabouts since they are under constant control.

I find this to be a case where technology really does not benefit society. All this does is feed into the paranoid behavior and fears of parents or guardians. Something we really should not encourage.

Quote Originally Posted by Norse View Post
    School shootings is mostly an American thing... as for fires, there is fire alarms in schools usually directly linked to the fire station. And there are landlines close by.
    when one stupid commented is quoted and then followed by another

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    when one stupid commented is quoted and then followed by another
    He's right though - School Shootings are mostly a US phenomenon and all schools have fire alarms and landlines

Deleted
    This is the OPPOSITE of what needs to be done. Schools need to adapt to technological changes.
    Phone and computer use is only going to rise in years to come and rather than try to drag students back into the old model they should work on a new one. Banning them from use during lessons is one thing but a complete ban is too far. They should teach children how andnwhen touse their phones along with how to be safe and secure online.

10+ Year Old Account
    Make the kids put them on silent and keep them in their pockets.

But I see no reason to ban them outside of the classroom. If they're on break or lunch what's the harm?
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    The alternative being the child gets kidnapped and never found again because they had no way to contact anyone or be tracked down?
    I'll take "shit that doesn't happen" for $500?

I mean, we've only had cell phones readily available for what, 20 years or so? For some reason it doesn't seem like we had so many more kidnappings because kids didn't have a phone glued to their face.

Cell phones have a place obviously, but don't act like they're the bastion of child defense you're pretending they are. They're for fucking around with when they're supposed to be doing work.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    A person who kidnaps anyone or does any crime these days are fully aware that the phone is the first thing you go for and demolish. That is hardly a new concept and such apps in my opinion create a false sense of security.
    Except yet again, in destroying it you at least get a reliable "last known location". And even then, you still have criminals who try to rob a store without a mask on even. Not everyone is going to pull off each crime perfectly.

I rather have a social control system being key and having a trust relationship so parents have some idea where their kids are. Rather than encouraging kids especially teens to hide their whereabouts since they are under constant control.
    There's nothing about having the ability in an emergency to contact or track someone down that means there cannot be a trusting relationship.

I find this to be a case where technology really does not benefit society. All this does is feed into the paranoid behavior and fears of parents or guardians. Something we really should not encourage.
    The issue is you're thinking of it solely as a tool of paranoia and not acknowledging the actual positives said tool can have.

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    I'll take "shit that doesn't happen" for $500?

I mean, we've only had cell phones readily available for what, 20 years or so? For some reason it doesn't seem like we had so many more kidnappings because kids didn't have a phone glued to their face.

Cell phones have a place obviously, but don't act like they're the bastion of child defense you're pretending they are. They're for fucking around with when they're supposed to be doing work.
    They are a tool of defense. I'd rather hear how you think they aren't with facts, rather than just your gut feelings.
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2017-12-12 at 04:40 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Fucking finally, those little shits annoyed the crap out of me when they did that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post

But I see no reason to ban them outside of the classroom. If they're on break or lunch what's the harm?
    Somebody mentioned bullying, online bullying in school is a growing problem and phones allow it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    People also survived without vaccines 500 years ago but it doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Jesus Christ that logic.
    Vaccines = cell phone usage during school hours

Obviously the best comparison, nothing foolish about that at all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    Vaccines = cell phone usage during school hours

Obviously the best comparison, nothing foolish about that at all.
    It's the trend... Compare a tool designed for entertainment with Life & Death

France is to impose a total ban on pupils using mobile phones in primary and secondary schools starting in September 2018, its education minister has confirmed.

Phones are already forbidden in French classrooms but starting next school year, pupils will be barred from taking them out at breaks, lunch times and between lessons.

Teachers and parents are divided over a total ban, however, with some saying children must be able to "live in their time". In France, some 93 per cent of 12 to 17-year-olds own mobile phones.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...hones-schools/

What's your view on this? My dad is a teacher and often tells how no one focusses on anything in anymore, but on their smartphone.
    So might be for the better?

I don't see the point of banning phones outside of classrooms.

If phones were forbidden in your father's classroom like they are in France then it would be fine.

What is there to gain from banning phones during breaks, I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post

because you want kids to actually talk to each other during breaks. not chat with their phones

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Somebody mentioned bullying, online bullying in school is a growing problem and phones allow it
    In my highschool time, cyberbullying did not exist.
    And to be completely honest, I would take cyberbullying any day of the week over the real physical/psychological bullying that took place instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    They are a tool of defense. I'd rather hear how you think they aren't, rather than just your gut feelings.
    So is a knife. So are a lot of things. Phones are a tool one that you CAN use for defense, its not FOR defense. Anyone who acts like a kid needs a cell phone during school hours is being disingenuous at best, and dumb at worst.

You know who can and should have a cell phone on them for just such an emergency relating the school? The teachers, and all the faculty. The phone can stay in the locker, and the kid can grab it when school ends for all of their kidnapping defense needs.