Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Does each Pantheon bring a new type of magic?

Ever noticed that each pantheon seems to have a domain over different types of magic? Aman'thul is time, Norgannon is Arcane, Eoanar is nature, etc etc..

If so does a new titan like Argus or Azeroth introduce a new type of magic into the universe or becomes the patron of a new type? I know they wield all types, each of them, but they do have one type as a signature.

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmAddict View Post
    Ever noticed that each pantheon seems to have a domain over different types of magic? Aman'thul is time, Norgannon is Arcane, Eoanar is nature, etc etc..

If so does a new titan like Argus or Azeroth introduce a new type of magic into the universe or becomes the patron of a new type? I know they wield all types, each of them, but they do have one type as a signature.
    Interesting question, but I don't think we'll be seeing any new types of magic being introduced that are different enough to be labelled as their own type. Everything will probably be related to that chart that was introduced in Chonricles. Haven't particularly looked at Argus at the moment, but it would be interesting to see a Titan that held an affinity for Death magic. (hopefully a not even necessarily evil one)

I reckon Elune will be the inevitable Light affinity titan (or the light version of a Void Lord, or a new type of titan born from moons/suns and not planets) and we're obviously trying to avoid a Void Titan at all costs atm, but we will most likely eventually see one.

Blizzard could play with some interesting concepts of Titans life progressions from the state of planets they are born from. Maybe Eonar was born from a planet that was rife with life, forests and jungles and nature flourishing everywhere, whereas the other titans could of been born from other planets styled to reflect their respective affinity. That's how I like to imagine it anyway.
    Last edited by Nibelheimy; 2017-12-12 at 11:05 PM.

I don't think those are actual types of magic, based on the chart from Chronicle. Each titan just seems to have their own "thing" and you can kind of tell what they are judging from their titles:

Aman'Thul: Highfather of the Pantheon
    Eonar: The Life Binder
    Golganneth: Lord of the Skies and Roaring Oceans
    Khaz'goroth: Sharper and Forger of Worlds
    Norgannon: Keeper of Celestial Magics and Lore
    Sargeras: Defender of the Pantheon
    Aggramar: Lieutenant of the Great Sargeras

So Norgannon would obviously be arcane and Eonar would be nature, but Sargeras and Aggramar would both be strength which isn't any kind of magic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I divide the Pantheon, Sargeras, and now Argus into rough portfolios of abilities:

Aman'thul represents Chronomantic magic.
    Eonar represents the Spirit or Life magic.
    Golganneth represents Nature magic (especially its more destructive aspects).
    Khaz'goroth represents Elemental magic.
    Norgannon represents Arcane magic.
    Sargeras represents Fel magic.
    Aggramar represents Light magic.
    Argus represents Shadow magic.

Obviously there's some overlap and crossover, but that's roughly how I see the Pantheon split over the primordial essences of the Warcraft universe.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I divide the Pantheon, Sargeras, and now Argus into rough portfolios of abilities:

Obviously there's some overlap and crossover, but that's roughly how I see the Pantheon split over the primordial essences of the Warcraft universe.
    Argus could maybe fit better into Death magic being called the Death titan and all. Going by that, what's interesting is that the only Titan that is missing is Void/Shadow. Maybe that's something that will be relevant in inevitable Void expac in the future and what Void lords are all about?

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagoth Ur View Post
    Argus could maybe fit better into Death magic being called the Death titan and all. Going by that, what's interesting is that the only Titan that is missing is Void/Shadow. Maybe that's something that will be relevant in inevitable Void expac in the future and what Void lords are all about?
    Argus would be a shoe-in for Death as well - but his portfolio seemed more Shadow/Void to me, in terms of overall aesthetics and abilities.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Argus would be a shoe-in for Death as well - but his portfolio seemed more Shadow/Void to me, in terms of overall aesthetics and abilities.
    In either case, looks like they left Azeroth with two of the most crappy choices to fulfill.

Deleted

Aggramar is known as the Avenger and also personally created Grond from a mountain on Draenor. He created an elemental of earth and fire. If we were to believe this chart, then that would be Khaz'goroth's deal. How about we think of this in a different way? All the titans have the same powers or at the very least the same potential, but different specialties.

Also. A better approach would be to say that Golganneth represents the elements of air and water, where Khaz'goroth represents the elements of fire and earth, because in case you forgot Nature/Life is the same thing, spirit is the thing that is separate from those two and each titan holds large amounts of this element, since that is what makes them alive in the end.

We also can't so easily define them like this, we also have to consider which titan made which titan keeper. For example the keepers most linked to thunder are Thorim, Ra and Odyn. You'd think they were all made by Golganneth, but he only made Thorim, Aman'thul made Odyn and Ra.

And finally a more apt observation of Argus the titan is that almost all his abilities contain the word "Soul" in their names, so calling him the Soul Titan focused around the powers that comes with that would be better IMHO.

And even then, no titan specifically represents a certain type of magic, they're world shapers, creators of order, they each represent a different aspect in creating a world, well except Sargeras and Aggramar, and even they have some knowledge. After all, Sargeras not only created the prison world Mardum, but also a pocket dimension to place it in. And as stated earlier, Aggramar kickstarted evolution on Draenor by creating Grond, who is the ancestor of the magnaron, the gronn, the ogron, the ogres and the orcs. Aggramar and Sargeras still fit into the greater idea of order, as they're both, or at least they both used to be, guardians of order.
    Last edited by mmoc661de564ba; 2017-12-13 at 12:15 AM.

Argus is a titan of time, Azeroth, we simply dont know

10+ Year Old Account
    Azeroth will likely be the child of Light and Shadow. A prophecy that Xe'ra got wrong by concluding it was Illidan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Death magic would be interesting but does that even exist in this universe? Or would it just be considered void. Afterall we already have darkish spells like mind control, control undead, etc. which I don't know really what those belong to..

Argus would have to be life magic, mainly because Sargeras and the Demons used his soul to revive demons over and over and over for decades. As for Azeroth, lets call her the Undertale Titan, she's got the magic of Determination. Because what do the children of Azeroth have, the determination to never give up regardless of Algalon's statistical analysis or against Sargeras' Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    Argus would have to be life magic, mainly because Sargeras and the Demons used his soul to revive demons over and over and over for decades. As for Azeroth, lets call her the Undertale Titan, she's got the magic of Determination. Because what do the children of Azeroth have, the determination to never give up regardless of Algalon's statistical analysis or against Sargeras' Legion.
    Argus is a titan of time, it is already stated, thats how it resurrects the demons, it speeds up the process to bring them back faster

Quote Originally Posted by Piamonte View Post
    Argus is a titan of time, it is already stated, thats how it resurrects the demons, it speeds up the process to bring them back faster
    Where is that stated ever? Because Aman'thul is THE Titan of time.

Argus; the UNMAKER. Maybe Argus' power was to umake or to destroy things.

But nature and life magic are the same thing. The same goes for spirit and elemental magic. They are also the same thing. Spirit is an element. It is not part of life/nature magic the same way earth is not part of Arcane according to the chronicle. So, your category is kinda weird.

Also time magic can not be really be its own thing. It is likely just a derivative of the fundamental forces. I don't think it's fitting to define the titans in terms of fundamental forces they use. It's more fitting to just define them in terms of styles and flavors.
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2017-12-14 at 03:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    But nature and life magic are the same thing. The same goes for spirit and elemental magic. They are also the same thing. Spirit is an element. It is not part of life/nature magic the same way earth is not part of Arcane according to the chronicle. So, your category is kinda weird.

Also time magic can not be really be its own thing. It is likely just a derivative of the fundamental forces. I don't think it's fitting to define the titans in terms of fundamental forces they use. It's more fitting to just define them in terms of styles and flavors.
    I divide it less as damage sources as the game reckons and more thematically - Eonar's power reminds me more of the healing power of Monks, Priests, or Druids. Her proficiency is in the unity that binds all things into a greater whole (representing her role as both the bestower of power on Alexstrasza and Ysera). Golganneth seems more in tune with the raw nature manipulating powers of Druids or Shaman, having power of the raw natural forces of storm, sea, and other forms of upheaval. Khaz'goroth to me seems more purely Elemental in nature, especially concerned with discrete states like Earth and Fire.

Chronomantic magic may be a subset of the Arcane, but in many ways it seems to be its own thing - which is why there is a Dragonflight devoted solely to magic and the Arcane and another devoted to preserving and keeping the purity of Time. The signatures of Chronomancy are also quite distinct from Arcane magic, and given how it is always stewarded over by separate beings (e.g. Aman'thul and Nozdormu) I think it should be thought of as its own thing in many ways.

At the end of the day this is just my personal reckoning, though; you're welcome to think of the Titans in your own fashion.

I believe Azeroth would have the best of Sargeras' traits and the best of Aman'thul's too(strenght, prowess, courage, wisdom). I wrote it in another thread earlier, but depicting Azeroth after Athena - the goddess of war and wisdom - would be fitting in my opinion.

Other than that, the only type of magic still not unraveled in the form of a titan is void. I believe that all titans have certain powers which overlap within each single one of them, but some are simply amplified in comparison to others. Depending on which world they shaped and influenced, they basically left different cultures, environments and beings behind.
    Last edited by Magnagarde; 2017-12-14 at 03:43 AM.

I divide it less as damage sources as the game reckons and more thematically - Eonar's power reminds me more of the healing power of Monks, Priests, or Druids. Her proficiency is in the unity that binds all things into a greater whole (representing her role as both the bestower of power on Alexstrasza and Ysera). Golganneth seems more in tune with the raw nature manipulating powers of Druids or Shaman, having power of the raw natural forces of storm, sea, and other forms of upheaval. Khaz'goroth to me seems more purely Elemental in nature, especially concerned with discrete states like Earth and Fire.
    I think what Eonar uses really has nothing much to do with monk and priest. It's nature magic derived from the cosmic force of life through and through which is what she bestowed upon Alex and Ysera as well. Druids are the ones who utilize this force.

Chronomantic magic may be a subset of the Arcane, but in many ways it seems to be its own thing - which is why there is a Dragonflight devoted solely to magic and the Arcane and another devoted to preserving and keeping the purity of Time. The signatures of Chronomancy are also quite distinct from Arcane magic, and given how it is always stewarded over by separate beings (e.g. Aman'thul and Nozdormu) I think it should be thought of as its own thing in many ways.
    I believe the aspects are charged by what relevant to the protection of Azeroth more so than the fundamental forces of the universe. Life, the Dream, Earth, Arcane, and time.
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2017-12-14 at 03:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    Death magic would be interesting but does that even exist in this universe? Or would it just be considered void. Afterall we already have darkish spells like mind control, control undead, etc. which I don't know really what those belong to..
    https://wow.gamepedia.com/File:WoW_Chronicle_Magic.jpg

According to this thing Death Magic is it's own type, but does lie close to the void side of things.