Thread: Top Game of you

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    To me Rust offers;

A game designed for PC's so that means it wasn't held back in any aspect such as; graphically, the engine, or how it controls. Nor was early access on PC actually there for the main goal of a console release.
    The best graphics of any survival game, but then again I'm on a 1440p IPS display so that plays a part.
    The best building/crafting/gathering of any survival game.
    The survival game most likely to actually release, and release in a state that deserves to be called retail.
    Very high quality audio fidelity/design (important to me for immersion)
    Varying things to do due to the playerbase and the pvp nature of the game

Only real con is the horrendously negative/meme-filled/outright toxic chat, which you can disable and make the game a much better experience and limit communications to strictly voice. I have over 800 hours in it across many different types of servers and I rarely ever have a bad experience with people because I don't get mad, talk shit, or act like a crybaby when people are playing the game like it's meant to be played (pvp type stuff).

I think streamers have a negative impact on the game as all they care about is making money since they're forced to play the game basically everyday and want changes that cater to them and then their 12 year old memer subscriber armies blindly agree with whatever they say in videos. The Reddit playerbase also has issues with people not letting the developers make something of their own and trying to make the game into other games.

Many of the negative comments you see about the game where people are calling the playerbase "toxic" or "bullies" where non chat interactions are concerned should be taken with a grain of salt as people complain that pvp happened in a game where pvp is part of the base gameplay. Those people shouldn't be playing a game like this.

From a different point of view it's only a survival game because of the PVP aspect, but to me that's infinitely better than other survival games due to longevity.

You can choose to farm for a few hours, then go do whatever random thing your heart desires to entertain yourself and since you interact with other players the possibilities are endless.

Then, even if you're still bored there are many different ways to experience it via the many, many different servers available.

Want a Walking Dead type experience?

Play on Terminus servers

Want a Battle Royal/PUBG experience ?

Play on Battle Royal servers

Don't like guns ?

Play on primitive servers

Want a Call of Duty experience where you spawn with guns ?

Play on a Battlefield server

Want to play without PVP ?

Play on a PVE server

Don't want to play with default gathering rates and no mods ?

Play on one of 900+ servers with varying gather rates/mods, QoL changes.

There are many other options as well.
    That sounds interesting. The PvP elements wouldn't bother me much, I played Ultima Online for what feels like forever where death meant any possessions you happened to be carrying were lootable, with no designated pvp areas.

I do like to build though, so my only concern here would be if the stuff I build can be destroyed, specifically while I am offline (like Ark). I don't mind being ganked and/or essentially having everything I was farming or carrying looted/destroyed; but RL commitments force me to play pretty casually and it would suck if every time I logged in to play I found everything I worked for the previous session in ashes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    I do like to build though, so my only concern here would be if the stuff I build can be destroyed, specifically while I am offline (like Ark). I don't mind being ganked and/or essentially having everything I was farming or carrying looted/destroyed; but RL commitments force me to play pretty casually and it would suck if every time I logged in to play I found everything I worked for the previous session in ashes.
    That's Rust in a nutshell, as in getting offlined (raided while offline), especially on official/community servers. The goal of raiders is either just to mess with you, get more sulfur to raid other bases, to limit competition, or even just to remove neighbors. Online raiding is much more likely on the modded servers.

Vanilla servers (default settings) might not be for you, but modded or battlefield servers would work perfectly since in the span of an hour you can hit 2 trees, farm one node, instant craft whatever you want, and have enough materials for whatever base you wanted so when you're raided 8 hours later it doesn't matter.

Official servers tend to get DDoS'd often, have cheaters since Helk (Facepunch employee) has to log on and handle it, but they have no actual playing admins so there's no chance for admin abuse.

Community servers are the same as official which means vanilla settings, but cheaters are much more likely to get banned due to active admins. Now for the main con, you have to deal with the chance or even likelihood of not just a cheating admin, but admin privs being sold, which is very, very common on modded servers even if it's just for perks and not necessarily admin privs.

I won't say much else, don't want to spam the thread with things you can find out in videos or wikis.

I did forget one great aspect of Rust, how it handles.

It's the least clunky out of the big survival games that I'm aware of, although I haven't tried Subnautica, yet.

Edit - From what I've read Ark is a different experience since servers don't wipe. Rust servers wipe anywhere from every 3 days to once a month, it just depends on the server.
    Last edited by MrPaladinGuy; 2017-12-16 at 12:30 AM.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Dragon Age Origins.

Fallout New Vegas.

Planescape: Torment.

Company of Heroes

Warcraft III.

WoW.

Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.

XCOM 2

In no particular order.

15+ Year Old Account
    Castlevania: Symphony of the night
    Super Mario Land 2: The 6 Golden Coins
    Command and Conquer Red Alert
    E.V.O. the Search for Eden
    Neverwinter Nights 2

Deleted
    Suikoden 1, 2, 3 (playing as Geddoe with his insane team members)
    Streetfighter 2 Turbo and EX 1
    Gran Turismo 1, 2 (Honda S2000 exhaust sound)
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    WoW (wod and legion very bad experience)

Zelda 1 (gold coloured game has a special place in my heart)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Well Myst isn't replayable really so I'd like something new, with at minimum heavily modded Skyrim graphics quality. I do not know much about the various aspects that go into cutting edge graphics so I'm not going to herp de derp with an answer involving things I don't understand.

I haven't played Obduction, I should give it a go. Thanks for other suggestions.
    Neglected to mention Tesla Effect as well, the latest Tex Murphy title which also features the voice actor of Tom Servo from MST3K.
    Last edited by MrPaladinGuy; 2017-12-18 at 01:24 AM.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

TLoZ: Majora's Mask
    WoW
    Dragon Age Origins
    Heroes 3