Poll: Do you keep up to date with modern mainstream music?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    I had to run some errands today so I was driving around for over an hour. Let me go through the list of bands that were on my playlist (all my music is stored on an SD card on my phone, bluetooth audio ftw). REO Speedwagon, Toto, Genesis, Poison, 38 Special, Moody Blues, Night Ranger, KISS, Warrant, Dragonforce (while they are still around I don't like much of what they've done post-2008), Nightwish, Rhapsody, the Ori and the Blind Forest soundtrack (because it's amazing), Simple Minds, Roxette, Icehouse, and Bob Seger. Yeah nothing up to date/mainstream there. :P

My 2 favorite songs of all time are 1) Every Rose Has Its Thorn/Poison, and 2) If I'd Been The One (38 Special).
    I listen to/like several of the groups you listed but one stands out in my not so humble opinion....
    Bob Seger is the man!

I absolutely cannot stand people that get elitist about music and look down on others for what they listen to. Not everyone has the time to get educated on music or even cares that much. Mostly these days, when I want new music, I wind up trying out orchestral movie soundtracks. There was a time when I listened to the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack a lot. When I went to Star Wars 8, I did want to see if any new music was added to the soundtrack that sounded like I would add it to my soundtrack rotation but I didn't hear anything special so I'm on the fence as to if I'll buy it.

From the World of Warcraft arrangements, the most played for me is the opening 10 minute piece for Cataclysm. I thought that was excellent. From Legion, my favorites are Highmountain and Demon Hunter. Feels weird looking at the cover art with Sylvanas and realizing Sylvanas really had very little to do with this xpac.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

I don't know if it counts as mainstream but I watch theneedledrop and generally try to listen to what are considered the best albums in a given year.

Deleted
    Nope, music is shiet these days...

does MTV still exist btw?

If I have the radio on in the car I'd listen to whatever's playing... else I just stick to Jazz and Easy Listening music genres.

Ever since I discovered the epic music genre on the internet, I stopped listening to anything else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I don't enjoy music as something to pass the time with. I'd rather sit in my room without any stimulus and read a book or do some writing.
    I do occasionally listen to music, but I do it in short sessions with long interval inbetween. A nice change of pace, but nothing made in the recent years have had a good vibe into it.

So, to answer the question, I am somewhat up to date through radio and my little sister, but my goodness how atrocious it is. I'd rather hear Pink Floyd, Guns 'n' Roses, K-/J-pop and retro game music than listening to "modern" music.

Quote Originally Posted by Ser Arthur Dayne View Post
    Nope, music is shiet these days...

does MTV still exist btw?
    MTV still exist and is horrendous as ever. Personally, I don't get why people watch the channel, even my little sister enjoys watching it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Finnish millennials and whatever the younger generation is called seem to listen to nothing but Finnish "hiphop", so no, I absolutely don't "keep up to date" with that utter shit.
    This just kill me what the fuck

Used to. But not anymore..

Prefer Indie music & Classic Rock a lot more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Besides the New Retro Wave stuff, I don't think I've actively listened to anything put out in the past 20 years. Everything I listen to normally is from 1950-1990.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Deleted
    as a radio 2 listener, you occasionally get a new track on their playlist.
    im stuck in the past for the most part. its the 60's to the 90's for me, unfortunately.

Kind of. I don't follow any of my favourite singers/bands/musicians on websites or social media, but if I hear that they released a new song, I usually check it out. It's never a guarantee that I will like their songs though. I've never liked all the songs from one person/group and half the time find myself disappointed with new releases.