Poll: Would you be happy with this?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Why? Aren't gated releases just artificial time walls?
    Yes, essentially.

Why? Aren't gated releases just artificial time walls?
    So are the keys and battlements to get into these instances... should they remove those too?

No. We want the Classic experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotia View Post
    The real issue is that with 1.12 talents, Molten Core is not a challenge. BWL is the same story.
    MC still would not be hard even with 1.1 talents, it'd just take longer to clear due to shittier DPS / tank threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotia View Post
    The ideal way for the game to go is to start with 1.1 and progress through them in a timeline that suits the average end game player base
    And have people raging and sperging out on the forums when 1.6 drops and only Warrior/Warlock get talent revamps, and everyone else is stuck with shitty talents?

You do remember the Bus Shock incident, right? You want that happening again?

No thanks.

Aren't gated releases just artificial time walls?
    Tomato, tomahto.
    It's not an artificial time wall in the sense that it would be with new content. It's a simulation of something that already happened before.

5+ Year Old Account
    I dont really care either or, as long as it non-modified vanilla.

N*stalrius handled it pretty good though.

Only talents was 1.12.1 while the rest was released in a progressive manner.
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Shrouded View Post
    Yes, absolutely, though I'd be happiest of all with a staggered release of raids that includes the Ahn'Qiraj war effort and opening of the scarab gate a couple months down the line.
    This.
    Pretty sure Blizzard will implement the staggered release, though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by delus View Post
    Would you be happy if the server is 1.12 based, no alterations, as close to this release as possible, all raids open, no new content ever?
    Yeah, 1.12.1 would be ideal and pretty much what's been requested from the start. But I'd like to see a staggered release up until that version. Either way, this is fine.

i wont be playing if its 1.12 on release. 1.12 trivialized early raids too much. it should be released on a much earlier version and only ony and MC open, and slowly add more raids, and raise the version over time, with 1.12 only being released with naxx. if its released on 1.12, all content will be cleared in a month.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Storfan View Post

all the gear changes from 1.12 wer eon nost, including t.5. thats why nost was so god damn easy.

Deleted
    No. I would not. The only reason private servers run 1.12.1, 2.4.3, 3.3.5a, 4.3.4 etc. are because they're the final patches of each version, thus containing every scrap of content the version had to offer.

They aren't necessarily the best representations of each version.

What's the point in retail classic if it doesn't give us what the private scene can't?

Quote Originally Posted by NihilSustinet View Post
    i wont be playing if its 1.12 on release. 1.12 trivialized early raids too much. it should be released on a much earlier version and only ony and MC open, and slowly add more raids, and raise the version over time, with 1.12 only being released with naxx. if its released on 1.12, all content will be cleared in a month.

- - - Updated - - -

all the gear changes from 1.12 wer eon nost, including t.5. thats why nost was so god damn easy.
    Nost originally ran with the sucky & weird pre-1.5 gear. Earthfury shoulders had +10 fire damage, it was glorious.

Did you play on Nost since its opening or did you joined after some time? Cause had you played since the opening, you would've known that first 4-5 months were pretty shitty experience. You stuck with good talents in shitty Molten Core with shitty MC loot where you just can't wipe even if you raid were in greens. Only 1 boss - Ragnaros dropped good loot. But at the same time pvp gear was much much better than MC loot. Even blue pvp gear was better. So if you wanted the best gear in the game you had to grind pvp rank. That is not an authentic Vanilla experience.
    That is what the first 5 months of Nost were and that is what the first months of Classic will be if they start with 1.12.
    I don't want 1.1 either cause classes were broken.
    It must be something in the middle, something like 1.7.
    Or if it's 1.12 then no pvp gear from the start and dungeons and raids must be tuned up to reflect the level of difficulty it was 12 year ago.
    Last edited by Mushkins; 2017-12-19 at 08:17 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NihilSustinet View Post

- - - Updated - - -

That is 100% incorrect. Nost had a progressive content and gear patch release. I played there since Day1 and to its demise, as well as the servers that popped up after it with their character database.

Quote Originally Posted by Mushkins View Post
    Did you play on Nost since its opening or did you joined after some time? Cause had you played since the opening, you would've known that first 4-5 months were pretty shitty experience. You stuck with good talents in shitty Molten Core with shitty MC loot where you just can't wipe even if you raid were in greens. Only 1 boss - Ragnaros dropped good loot. But at the same time pvp gear was much much better than MC loot. Even blue pvp gear was better. So if you wanted the best gear in the game you had to grind pvp rank. That is not an authentic Vanilla experience.
    That is what the first 5 months of Nost were and that is what the first months of Classic will be if they start with 1.12.
    I don't want 1.1 either cause classes were broken.
    It must be something in the middle, something like 1.7.
    Or if it's 1.12 then no pvp gear from the start and dungeons and raids must be tuned up to reflect the level of difficulty it was 12 year ago.
    I played on Nost since Day1 so yes I do know EXACTLY how it was.
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

I played on Nost since Day1 so yes I do know EXACTLY how it was.
    So did you like it or maybe you went straight to pvp grind?

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mushkins View Post
    So you liked it or maybe you went straight to pvp grind?
    I had a great time. I havnt had that much fun since retail vanilla. I will however admit that the 1.12.1 talents somewhat trivialized MC as we cleared it the first reset. I will add though that alot of us played on F**nix servers before and had alot of fresh MC experience there already.

EDIT: I never really PvP much on N*st, only the AV grind for the epic rewards.
    Last edited by Storfan; 2017-12-19 at 09:01 AM.

The question is mostly about numbers and tuning, and how buffs to classes were often used to nerf encounters.

Tuning and the numbers, were so tight that a slight buff to 1 class could offset alot.
    These happened over many patches, in several instances.

Getting all these buffs from start, is the major difference between nost, fen, ely etc and retail Vanilla.
    And it is the difficuly of the raids that suffers the most from it.

Classic should aim to make MC, BWL, AQ and Naxx feel like it did back then.
    With 1.12 this is impossible for 3 out of those 4 raids.

Which is in the end, if Classic does like the pirate servers and start at 1.12 for MC, BWL, and AQ (first 1.5 year) - Im not sure even if I bother playing it.

If they on the other hand decide to release it at 1.1 - and do proper patches also for class changes, ill stop retail immediately to go fulltime classic.

Aren't gated releases just artificial time walls?
    In a game "artificial" doesnt really have a meaning. The developers come up with rules to make the gameplay feel good. All of those rules are not born from natural laws, but human made to improve fun.
    So are gated releases a game mechanic to control game flow? Yes. So are drop rates, weekly lock outs, amount of experiment points you need per level, run speed and so on. All of those have, artifically, been set to a point, where the developers thought they would result in the best gameplay.
    Changing the rate content is released from x month intervalls to 0 month intervalls, will make the game be less like the original game experience, just like changing the experience needed per level from vannilla values to 50% of that would.
    Which is not to say that you shouldnt mess with the release times at all. Just that its important to think about the impact that this will have on gameplay. WHich in this case would probably be: Players changing the order they run certain dungeons in. People having more gear than they were supposed to have, when reaching an encounter. People skipping content completely, because there is easier, better alternatives now.
    I guess the question is: Do you want to recreate the original experience of all of vanilla or the experience of someone joining vanilla on a fresh server in the last couple of month.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Quote Originally Posted by owbu View Post
    In a game "artificial" doesnt really have a meaning. The developers come up with rules to make the gameplay feel good. All of those rules are not born from natural laws, but human made to improve fun.
    So are gated releases a game mechanic to control game flow? Yes. So are drop rates, weekly lock outs, amount of experiment points you need per level, run speed and so on. All of those have, artifically, been set to a point, where the developers thought they would result in the best gameplay.
    Changing the rate content is released from x month intervalls to 0 month intervalls, will make the game be less like the original game experience, just like changing the experience needed per level from vannilla values to 50% of that would.
    Which is not to say that you shouldnt mess with the release times at all. Just that its important to think about the impact that this will have on gameplay. WHich in this case would probably be: Players changing the order they run certain dungeons in. People having more gear than they were supposed to have, when reaching an encounter. People skipping content completely, because there is easier, better alternatives now.
    I guess the question is: Do you want to recreate the original experience of all of vanilla or the experience of someone joining vanilla on a fresh server in the last couple of month.
    It does depending what the objective is. I would argue that they shouldn't focus on making a classic server simply to please fans but rather as a snapshot, a pristine recreation of how the game was in a period in time. Partitioning out content and making class changes is a deviation from this goal. I believe any intentional alteration besides those that allow it to play on modern hardware is unacceptable.

15+ Year Old Account
    Eventually it will get to 1.12.

I would be fine with a patch cycle but it is just inevitable to reach 1.12.
    All a patch cycle will do is benefit those who start and focus on classic from the get go.

I feel that 1.12 give people a nice place to visit classic wow without it becoming this overshadowing investment that pulls too many from current.
    As a HUGE classic supporter for years now, I will probably spend a massive amount of time in it, but I still have my other toons in current that I have invested in for years and I have no plan to abandon them. Classic will end up being a thing I do when current is in a drought or I get burned out I think eventually as I get settled in.
    “We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.”

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am fine with the patch but I want progressive patch release for PVE and PVP content - just like Nost did. The best way to do it IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Animalhouse View Post
    Eventually it will get to 1.12.

I would be fine with a patch cycle but it is just inevitable to reach 1.12.
    All a patch cycle will do is benefit those who start and focus on classic from the get go.

I feel that 1.12 give people a nice place to visit classic wow without it becoming this overshadowing investment that pulls too many from current.
    As a HUGE classic supporter for years now, I will probably spend a massive amount of time in it, but I still have my other toons in current that I have invested in for years and I have no plan to abandon them. Classic will end up being a thing I do when current is in a drought or I get burned out I think eventually as I get settled in.
    I think that's a valid complaint. Vanilla WOW, which is widely recognized before TBC has a finite amount of content. You do progressive releases or patches, you'll eventually reach that point, everyone won't have an equal experience then. Why put in the time and resources then and try to please people, the bulk of which might not be happy? Just focus on producing as accurate of a reproduction of the game at a stage of release as possible instead of trying to please them.

Deleted
    1.12 would make early Vanilla content face roll.