10+ Year Old Account

ordinary bgs...objectives vs dps...

Well as a rogue I mainly focus on objectives and healers, not too much focus about dps but ofc if in some situation dps is much needed I do dps, but what bother me is, I got a lot offends and ugly words from ppls when tell that objectives are primary, not only dps or middle killing ppls in bgs. What do you think, am I in right or wrong?

cheers!!!...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darchi View Post
    Well as a rogue I mainly focus on objectives and healers, not too much focus about dps but ofc if in some situation dps is much needed I do dps, but what bother me is, I got a lot offends and ugly words from ppls when tell that objectives are primary, not only dps or middle killing ppls in bgs. What do you think, am I in right or wrong?

cheers!!!...
    Are you single-handedly winning the bg? No? There is your fault.

Just do in bgs what you prefer to do. It's not like regular bgs are a random fuckfest already anyway, amirite?

I think it is a pretty common misconception that objectives are the only thing that matters in BGs, when in reality, having strong team DPS is just as important in most cases. The stronger your team's DPS is, the easier it should be to do the objectives. This does not mean completely ignore objectives or anything like that.

Usually the team with the stronger DPS numbers in the end is the one that ends up winning (aside from the rare cases where those DPS are completely ignoring the objectives which obviously isn't helpful). You need to DPS in ways that improve your team's chances of completing the objective.

Don't take to heart what people say in team chat because most of the time they have no idea what they are talking about. Learn the ways you can best help the team on the class you are playing at the time and do that. Sounds like as a rogue you understand your role in most cases which is causing havoc on healers (which helps DPS win fights) and then taking care of objectives as the rest of your team fights.

depends on the team, and the teams communication as a deciding factor to how the game usually goes.

if everyone is off doing their own thing, most people tend to do the same cause that in itself is already a mess most of the time

play objectives if the team is properly structured, and people have a similar mindset, that can be really fun

all in all, depends on the team, some people like to just run around and fight for fun, which i cant deny is great

if my team is getting decimated, usually i will just try to do the best i can personally do it matches, no objective

I try to stick with the strength of my class. I play a shadow priest so my main goal is to spread ridiculous amounts of damage and when possible peel for healers. I don't like to pick up flags or sit at nodes by myself. Mostly because and melee can shut me down hard solo. I try to stick with the main group but sometimes the group dynamic doesn't allow for it.

I was in a Gilneas yesterday. The match started and everyone started going WW with 3 going to the Alliance base. Everyone passed up mines. So reluctantly in the interest of the objectives I capped mines and sat on it and called INCs a couple times when Alliance came for it. When my team got to WW with Alliance my team slowly got whittled down. I honestly believe if I would have been in that team fight instead of the warrior that did almost no damage I could have turned the tide. But alas I tried to stick to the objective first. You win some you lose some I just try to do what I can and will flex according to the group dynamic.
    I click my spellbook.
    ---BfA Alpha Club---

7+ Year Old Account
    I've never understood that mentality in random battlegrounds of "doing whatever you want" and such.

Regardless of skill level, and of lack of competition, they are still objective based.

Quote Originally Posted by SHUMEGGAH View Post
    I've never understood that mentality in random battlegrounds of "doing whatever you want" and such.

Regardless of skill level, and of lack of competition, they are still objective based.
    Playing for fun is not something you would understand?

I would agree that doing objectives is important if you are playing like classic wow, as there are no other(same) content for players who plays seriously for win. You can choose your type of content in legion.

I've got to aggree, at the end of the day people join for many reasons, some maybe fixing their UI tweaking an addon etc, some might want to try a new build or tactic etc and some just want to sit in middle trying to kill things. It happens. But none of that changes the fact winning a random bg has nothing to do with damage or healing. You can have a far superior (in both dps and healing) team opposite but if they are soley focused on farming you at a gy its far too easy to just win the bg by completing the objectives.

Most of the problem with random bgs is people assume someone else will do it. Also people give up way too easy, the number of wsg's i've won in the last 5 minutes when we are two flags down is high, there is always a chance

Meh for me it's always varied base on the map / class I'm playing. Typically my fallback is to just try and occupy as many as the opponents as possible. If I can end a game where I've done 3x the damage as the average enemy player, then now it's a 9v7 game in favour of my team. Best maps for this is to just fight at the enemy base on AB/Gilneas with 1 other person, occupy for a couple minutes with a 2v4 fight, meanwhile your other 8 teammates are fighting their 6 remaining ones, meaning they SHOULD be able to cap the other bases and win.

Quote Originally Posted by Morssoe View Post
    Playing for fun is not something you would understand?

I would agree that doing objectives is important if you are playing like classic wow, as there are no other(same) content for players who plays seriously for win. You can choose your type of content in legion.
    Yeah and when you choose to queue up for casual BGs you choose to queue up for a game mode that revolves around an objective. This isn't rocket science. All the people running around "playing for fun" can run around "playing for fun" at the objectives and actually contribute to the team effort instead of running around midfield and throwing the game.

I think it depends on class/skill level, for example if you can output a lot of damage (more than your average BG players), land kills 1v2 or something like that, then you should focus on DPS. If you're mobile/stealth then you should go after healers, if you are a healer you probably shouldn't carry flag/sphere as you will be focused and the team will be 30 secs without heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Darchi View Post

cheers!!!...
    When I rogue, I mainly focus on healers. Rogues are uniquely suited to locking down a healer and not enough players focus the healer, so it is an important job.
    Locking down the enemy healer could determine the winner of the match.

Occasionally I stealth a flag and if there is no healer abouts- I focus on the most distant ranged caster.

If you are dps'ing away from objectives (i.e.: on the road in AB) you are doing it wrong.

Well, if you are like an affliction lock, MM hunter or a Boomkin, you will tend to do way better at dealing damage in a BG.

But it really doesn't matter in a regular BG. Just do whatever. If you were in a rated BG, you would know what you have to do.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gushDH View Post
    Well, if you are like an affliction lock, MM hunter or a Boomkin, you will tend to do way better at dealing damage in a BG.

But it really doesn't matter in a regular BG. Just do whatever. If you were in a rated BG, you would know what you have to do.
    But it does matter.

You are playing with other people who joined the same BG who may not just be "doing whatever" and actually care. This mentality of "I pay for my sub; I do what I want" is justifiable to an extent and much harder to argue when you are in a team environment.

Quote Originally Posted by sister View Post
    Yeah and when you choose to queue up for casual BGs you choose to queue up for a game mode that revolves around an objective. This isn't rocket science. All the people running around "playing for fun" can run around "playing for fun" at the objectives and actually contribute to the team effort instead of running around midfield and throwing the game.
    Only you would have that attitude. You are probably that guy who complains all bg and rage quit after 1 min.

Stop taking casual bgs too seriously if it makes you so angry and sad that you don't have fun anymore.

But it does matter.

You are playing with other people who joined the same BG who may not just be "doing whatever" and actually care. This mentality of "I pay for my sub; I do what I want" is justifiable to an extent and much harder to argue when you are in a team environment.
    Actually caring for a random BG is the wrong thing here. You just can't expect 10+ random people to be automatically organized. You are setting yourself up for failure. If you want to take BGs seriously, you have to go with an organized team.

Sure, you can be somewhat organized by saying "go there" or "do that", but you can't really expect too much.

On top of that, by saying "doing whatever", I obviously meant whatever to contribute to winning. Just killing people actually helps to winning a BG. Maybe not as much as being in a fully organized team and doing the most optimal job for your class/spec/role, but it helps enough for a random BG.

Random bgs. Just do whatever you find fun, that's what random bgs are there for.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rorian View Post
    I think it is a pretty common misconception that objectives are the only thing that matters in BGs, when in reality, having strong team DPS is just as important in most cases. The stronger your team's DPS is, the easier it should be to do the objectives. This does not mean completely ignore objectives or anything like that.
    Actually, no. I've won a few bg's where we were getting owned in fights around the map, but we were better at doing objectives.
    So yes, for winning you need to focus on objectives, owning the opposite faction at random points on the map has no effect other than increasing your HK count.

Like if the opposite flag carrier runs alone with the flag 50 yds from your team but your team really needs to kill those hunters and warlocks that are near them and ignore him, you'll get more kills and lose.
    Last edited by mmoc99a1d430b1; 2017-12-18 at 01:19 PM.