44. This poll is closed
  • Yes

9 20.45%
  • Keep it archaic

35 79.55%
Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Archaic vanilla systems

It's about time we had this conversation.

This is the time to make our voice heard. Those people that want Classic WoW to become a mirror image of the 2005 game should need to stop looking down upon all the millions of other players that understand the need for quality of life improvements.

There are millions of eager veterans ready to join Classic WoW but those millions of returning players won't remain playing for very long if they come back to the game they left.

We need to take a step back and understand that quality of life improvements like Transmog, Dungeon Finder, LFR, among other things are factual, non-subjective improvements to the game as a whole and even as a genre.

Just because you've been stuck for the past decade playing on random illegal private servers that place trojan miners on your system, run intricate gold selling cartels among other things.. doesn't mean you're entitled to deciding what's best for the rest of the community.

Please don't tell me to go back to retail because I'll tell you to go back to your current pirate server.. (that argument doesn't work), we should be working together towards building a Classic WoW experience worth our time and money in 2017.

We should understand by now that vanilla wow implemented a lot of archaic systems if we're comparing it to today's standards. It was a brilliant game for its time but even brilliant games get old.

It's time to accept other opinions, it's time to let go and share this brilliant old game with younger generations.

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post

This is the time to make our voice heard. Those people that want Classic WoW to become a mirror image of the 2005 game should need to stop looking down upon all the millions of other players that understand the need for quality of life improvements.

There are millions of eager veterans ready to join Classic WoW but those millions of returning players won't remain playing for very long if they come back to the game they left.

We need to take a step back and understand that quality of life improvements like Transmog, Dungeon Finder, LFR, among other things are factual, non-subjective improvements to the game as a whole and even as a genre.

Just because you've been stuck for the past decade playing on random illegal private servers that place trojan miners on your system, run intricate gold selling cartels among other things.. doesn't mean you're entitled to deciding what's best for the rest of the community.

Please don't tell me to go back to retail because I'll tell you to go back to your current pirate server.. (that argument doesn't work), we should be working together towards building a Classic WoW experience worth our time and money in 2017.

We should understand by now that vanilla wow implemented a lot of archaic systems if we're comparing it to today's standards. It was a brilliant game for its time but even brilliant games get old.

It's time to accept other opinions, it's time to let go and share this brilliant old game with younger generations.
    I've been playing on Lights-Hope for about 3 weeks now, I haven't had this much fun forever. It's an almost exact copy of how Vanilla was back in the day. Sure i died alot and its a pain to get gear and a pain to find groups, I'm also not as young as I was 13 years ago and I have a job and family. That still doesnt keep me from logging on for a bit everyday and doing a dungeon or two or farming for something. The Lack of QoL things is what makes it fun and interesting. When you earn something it actually means something, I just now after a week being 60 have almost all Blue items on my character and am almost raid ready. You earn things, wiether through a time sink or doing content, it feels rewarding and actually challenging. Retail is boring and I haven't logged in, in a month. This is MY opinion, doesnt make it right or wrong, its just mine.

7+ Year Old Account
    0/10 troll try harder
    Legion is the worst expansion
    BFA=Blizzard Failed Again
    https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment..._google_trend/

5+ Year Old Account
    Reported for trolling.
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by HordeFanboy View Post
    0/10 troll try harder
    You've deluded yourself if you EVER think that classic wow will outpace their actual content in terms of subscriptions or people playing it :P.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich
    Liberals are against discrimination, except when it coincides with their own personal hatreds. .
    Quote Originally Posted by Luxxor
    Yah because I'm stroking my evil lapcat while sitting in my Ivory tower of oppression built on the skulls of those less fortunate.

You have literally just described BfA, the retail game.

Now that they have level scaling, you can, if you want your version of Vanilla, just start leveling a toon with no heirlooms. You would then be able to cap your toon at level 60 and play all the raids with whomever you wanted.

Millions of people on my side argument.. LUL

I think discussion can be had once pure vanilla servers are released and time goes by. Right now you just have retail slaves hell bent on retailed classic, PR purist that can't hear a thing, trolls, and rose tinted glasses folk that are all separated by both gaming space, community, and desire. Get them to one space with the canvas being vanilla. Let time pass. Then let that community start to voice it's concerns and see where that community, that doesn't assist yet, detrime it's path forward.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scyclone View Post
    You've deluded yourself if you EVER think that classic wow will outpace their actual content in terms of subscriptions or people playing it :P.
    I doubt it will have to. Why make it a separate sub and compete against each other instead of just rolling it into one and use it as promotion of both games popularity. I doubt we will ever really know the numbers of both again. Mostly because people like you use it as a weapon rather than a prize.

Is this some clever commentary on "see how it feels, purists?" or do you really think, after countless threads on this topic, this one has framed the issue in a construictive, positive way, so that it will allow an actual conversation?
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

While I agree with you on some points OP; Transmog, Dungeon Finder & LFR are not QoL improvements. Quality of Life is not the same as massive game changing functionality. QoL = graphical improvements/bug fixes/auto-loot etc. Tiny things that you make you hate the game less, allowing you to enjoy the enjoyable bits even more.

Pure vanilla is a shitfest and needs improvements, but not to anywhere near the extent of the awful elements that you've suggested.

Wearing your hard earned gear without the option to mask it is not something that was broken and therefore doesn't need fixed.
    Socializing with the community, forming relationships, and organizing groups, in attempt to clear content is not something that was broken and therefore doesn't need fixed.

Having to run all the way back to a capital city and dump a fortune of gold every time you want to swap specs is shit for everyone but pure DPS specs, and dual spec would fix this, without taking anything away from the core experience. I'm playing a TBC server ATM with x1 rates and duel spec with a 1 time cost, and I can say with 100% certainty that if the server didn't offer duel spec I wouldn't be playing a priest and many players probably wouldn't be playing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    Millions of people on my side argument.. LUL

I think discussion can be had once pure vanilla servers are released and time goes by. Right now you just have retail slaves hell bent on retailed classic, PR purist that can't hear a thing, trolls, and rose tinted glasses folk that are all separated by both gaming space, community, and desire. Get them to one space with the canvas being vanilla. Let time pass. Then let that community start to voice it's concerns and see where that community, that doesn't assist yet, detrime it's path forward.

- - - Updated - - -

I doubt it will have to. Why make it a separate sub and compete against each other instead of just rolling it into one and use it as promotion of both games popularity. I doubt we will ever really know the numbers of both again. Mostly because people like you use it as a weapon rather than a prize.
    I hear there's at peak times around 10k people playing on the current illegal vanilla server.. Why do you think that tiny number is able to represent the true WoW Community?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by maomoa View Post
    You have literally just described BfA, the retail game.

Now that they have level scaling, you can, if you want your version of Vanilla, just start leveling a toon with no heirlooms. You would then be able to cap your toon at level 60 and play all the raids with whomever you wanted.
    I did nothing of the sort. If you're unable to receive Classic WoW with any change whatsoever then your only choice will be illegal servers that steal actively from Blizzard.

I hear there's at peak times around 10k people playing on the current illegal vanilla server.. Why do you think that tiny number is able to represent the true WoW Community?
    Completely agree. This small but loud group of people seem to think that because you're not currently invested in the shitfest that was classic in 2004, and that you don't embrace every shitty element of what was effectively an unfinished game, that you actually never even 'asked' for legacy servers in the first place. Yet I absolutely have been a vocal advocate of legacy servers, having played private servers myself for years, and within minutes of playing a vanilla server I can think of a ton of things that would make the overall experience much smoother.

I hear there's at peak times around 10k people playing on the current illegal vanilla server.. Why do you think that tiny number is able to represent the true WoW Community?.
    I don't debate that the retail community is in fact bigger than the PR community (one thing you don't consider is there are many instead of just the "current" but I digress, retail is still bigger). But in that same assumption we assume all people on retail want to play classic. That all people on PRs want to come to classic. This is data based on assumption instead of fact. Which is why it isn't usable right now. Figure the right number, form the community, then determine from that community where it goes. Pretty simple. The only reason you wouldn't want it that way is you are convince you are going to fail which ultimately defeats your whole case. I am 100% willing to entertain changes once fthe real community is established so it can determine its own fate. This doesn't seem to be the case with you though.

Also something else to consider.. this might not be something being done for the "WoW Community". It might be getting done to kill off PRs. Or to protect their IP from PRs. To stop people from getting ripped off with their IP on some of the less fashionable PRs out there. Then again you might be right, they might be doing this just to make you and people that think like you happy. Again, assumptions that we cannot use, so we are stuck.

Vannila is the starting point. Move on from there once the classic server community is established. Oh and no.. your attempts to troll.. will only fall short.

15+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

I did nothing of the sort. If you're unable to receive Classic WoW with any change whatsoever then your only choice will be illegal servers that steal actively from Blizzard.
    Probably because they're playing it right now so they know what they want when you haven't played it almost 11 years so your memory is fuzzy

- - - Updated - - -

If they can provide a better experience, sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Hell, they have provided a better experience. I cancelled my sub and have been playing on.a private server. It’s great.

would not be vanilla with the "improvments"

7+ Year Old Account
    Things like Trasmog, LFR and Dungeon Finder are DIRECTLY in opposition to the way Vanilla is designed and why it is inherently a different game than current WoW. It's not just like balancing classes, adding cut content or more flight paths, it is fundamentally changing the reason why people would go back and play Vanilla in the first place. That is why I cannot get behind the changes you mentioned.

There is so much fail in this post I have to assume you're simply trolling and this thread should be closed.

-Biased poll title
    -Players didn't leave vanilla WoW, they only stopped playing because TBC forced them to
    -Transmog is most definitely *not* a QoL feature. It is a gameplay mechanic.
    -The fact that I disagree with you on on LFD and LFR proves they are not a objective improvement to the game
    -You've clearly never played on a private server
    -You're entire premise is an oxy moron. "Classic WoW" + all the terrible features you want implemented are simply incompatible. If you add in all that garbage, it is no longer Classic WoW, it is retail.

*~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*

What do you mean “it’s about time”? This conversation happens many times a day... Also where were all these “millions” of people when other were requesting vanilla servers? Oh that’s right, telling them it’ll never happen... Stop trying to ruin what people have fought for for years because you’re suddenly interested in it...

Quote Originally Posted by DrStiglit View Post
    What do you mean “it’s about time”? This conversation happens many times a day... Also where were all these “millions” of people when other were requesting vanilla servers? Oh that’s right, telling them it’ll never happen... Stop trying to ruin what people have fought for for years because you’re suddenly interested in it...
    Fought for years? What do you mean by that?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by owbu View Post
    Is this some clever commentary on "see how it feels, purists?" or do you really think, after countless threads on this topic, this one has framed the issue in a construictive, positive way, so that it will allow an actual conversation?
    Purists can go back to their illegal server..

Why isn't this locked yet?