Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorreve View Post
    Actually they do. Especially if they live inside. The rest is right.
    It should be noted that the common 'alpha, beta, omega' structure proposed by wolf researchers a long time ago has largely been declared inaccurate. A wolf (and by extension dog) pack is comprised of a mother, father and their offspring.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I agree. One thing a owner needs to do with their dog is establish themselves as being the pack leader. Or they are in for problems. This is one thing the dog whisperer often tells people. And it is also a good reason to only have dogs you feel confident you can control and set yourself up as the pack leader safely.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Just curious, but did they find blood/DNA/flesh of hers in the dog's mouths or stomachs? That's definitely something to check before jumping to conclusions.

Nope.

In particular, the scent of a familiar human evokes a reward response in the brain. “No other scent did that, not even that of a familiar dog,” Berns said. “It's not the case that they see us as 'part of their pack as dogs,' they know that we're something different— there's a special place in the brain just for us.
    From Wildlifeplanet.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    What about pitbulls that have no history of aggression? There are more tigers owned privately in Texas than there are left in the wild. Should exotic pets seized from houses be euthanized for the good of the human population? No, they shouldn't and they're usually relocated to sanctuaries that deal in exotic animals. So why should a banned dog breed be any different?

Logic dictates a domesticated animal would be easier to care for than wild megafauna.
    Obviously Tigers should not be owned privately, ever, since they're endangered. It's a pretty silly comparison tbh. It's in our best interest to preserve endangered species, dogs certainly aren't. Of course you see the difference.

You also seem to miss the point entirely. The "history" of an individual pit bull is completely irrelevant. The breed, the genetic makeup of the creature itself makes for a dangerous pet.
    Last edited by Shiny212; 2017-12-17 at 12:00 AM.

This is why I have Pomeranians.
    Chicken fried rice is delicious!

10+ Year Old Account
    It should be noted that the common 'alpha, beta, omega' structure proposed by wolf researchers a long time ago has largely been declared inaccurate. A wolf (and by extension dog) pack is comprised of a mother, father and their offspring.
    By whom? There are still some unanswered questions about wolf packs and it is still debated. But there is clearly a picking order in most animal groups. Raise sheep, horses, hogs, chickens in groups and you see this in play. Lions in particular will certainly have the alpha Males in every pride.

Deleted
    Lots of articles about. Could you provide me a source for your pov?
    http://www.canismajor.com/dog/alpha1.html

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    Obviously Tigers should not be owned privately, ever, since they're endangered
    Tigers kept as pets come from captive breeding sources. People aren't going out into the wild and capturing tigers for pets (or at least a very small number of captive tigers are coming from wild sources).

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    Tigers kept as pets come from captive breeding sources. People aren't going out into the wild and capturing tigers for pets (or at least a very small number of captive tigers are coming from wild sources).
    This strikes me as something that's very uncommon, but feel free to prove me wrong. It's still a very skewed comparison, I mean, you're not going to see someone walking down the street with a tiger on a leash, if someone did they'd call the cops. I'd also think respective owners of adult tigers are very aware of the dangers and don't have the same illusions that the pitbull owner in question had.

10+ Year Old Account
    This strikes me as something that's very uncommon, but feel free to prove me wrong. It's still a very skewed comparison, I mean, you're not going to see someone walking down the street with a tiger on a leash, if someone did they'd call the cops. I'd also think respective owners of adult tigers are very aware of the dangers and don't have the same illusions that the pitbull owner in question had.
    You are not wrong. Some places here in Ohio, any owners who have a Pit bull breed mix, needs to have a permit to have them. Because the authorities view them as a dangerous dog breed.

Off topic, but thanks for quoting me on the AR 14 ,15. I would like to see it quoted more often.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2017-12-17 at 12:22 AM.

Deleted
    Lots of articles about. Could you provide me a source for your pov?
    http://www.canismajor.com/dog/alpha1.html
    Nevermind https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/is...s_20416-1.html

This strikes me as something that's very uncommon, but feel free to prove me wrong.
    There's an estimated 5,000-10,000 tigers kept as pets in the United States alone. You really think those are being sourced from the dwindling 2,000-ish wild tigers?

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Happens enough that on my local news I hear about a dog that turned on its owner after attacking someone and it was then put down. It's not so often that every dog owner lives in fear, but enough that everyone else lives in fear.
    Everyone living in fear? Because of dogs? Can understand it from people that are afraid of dogs, but the general population? Of course there's the usual common sense involved. Like not letting your dogs roam freely on the streets and not leaving small children and dogs together unsupervised.

Like in what way? The dog has a shorter life span or something?
    No, I just really dislike small dog breeds. They are far more likely to be poorly trained and tend to be kept inside a lot. Worked in a dog pension for a while when I was younger. They'd let out pretty much all the dogs into a single large grassy field. Poorly behaving dogs were kept separate. 90%+ of those were small breeds. Can only remember a single Jack Russell that was well behaved and wasn't an ADHD, frenzied, jumping little freak.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just a person's opinion. He notes that Caesar Millans method is wrong, yet it is Caesar who is making a lot of money because his method works. Dogs need to learn to respect their owners. We have one dog which once a long time ago, growled at me when I tried to pick his bone up. He has never did it again, because he knows now, that is a big no no.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    By whom?
    By David Mech, the researcher who helped popularize the terms in the 70s.

There are still some unanswered questions about wolf packs and it is still debated. But there is clearly a picking order in most animal groups. Raise sheep, horses, hogs, chickens in groups and you see this in play.
    I never said wolves lacked hierarchy. The wolves we commonly thought of as alphas are actually the parents, with the offspring usually being subordinate to them for obvious reasons.

Lions in particular will certainly have the alpha Males in every pride.
    I wouldn't consider lion males to be alphas outside of situations where male lions are forced to interact such as in captivity. Commonly a pride will have one male with two females, occasionally two related lions (usually brothers) will form coalitions. Male lions will also tolerate their own male cubs, but will chase them off upon any hints of aggression (usually at adolescence).

- - - Updated - - -

You are not wrong. Some places here in Ohio, any owners who have a Pit bull breed mix, needs to have a permit to have them. Because the authorities view them as a dangerous dog breed.

Off topic, but thanks for quoting me on the AR 14 ,15. I would like to see it outed more often.
    I agree with permits to be honest. Really everyone should be required to have a permit to have a pet with some exceptions.

Deleted
    Just a person's opinion. He notes that Caesar Millans method is wrong, yet it is Caesar who is making a lot of money because his method works. Dogs need to learn to respect their owners. We have one dog which once a long time ago, growled at me when I tried to pick his bone up. He has never did it again, because he knows now, that is a big no no.
    Was answerign to myself. I agree with you and the alpha method.

10+ Year Old Account
    By David Mech, the researcher who helped popularize the terms in the 70s.

I never said wolves lacked hierarchy. The wolves we commonly thought of as alphas are actually the parents, with the offspring usually being subordinate to them for obvious reasons.

I wouldn't consider lion males to be alphas outside of situations where male lions are forced to interact such as in captivity. Commonly a pride will have one male with two females, occasionally two related lions (usually brothers) will form coalitions. Male lions will also tolerate their own male cubs, but will chase them off upon any hints of aggression (usually at adolescence).

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with permits to be honest. Really everyone should be required to have a permit to have a pet with some exceptions.
    Males lions will certainly also fight and chase off other males lions which are not part of the pride. There does exist a alpha role with lions. We even have the alpha roles going on all the time between our two dogs. One is certainly dominating the other. Guess is it a picking order more so than a alpha role however, as my wife and I are the alphas.

I only agree with dangerous pets being required to have permits and really do not think it should be legal to have pets such as Tigers, Bears, Lions, etc.

Males lions will certainly also fight and chase off other males lions which are not part of the pride. There does exist a alpha role with lions. We even have the alpha roles going on all the time between our two dogs. One is certainly dominating the other. Guess is it a picking order more so than a alpha role however, as my wife and I are the alphas.

I only agree with dangerous pets being required to have permits and really do not think it should be legal to have pets such as Tigers, Bears, Lions, etc.
    I still wouldn't call them alphas though, it's less one male being at the top of a hierarchy and more about there just being one male in the pride in general.

I mostly agree with everything else that you said though. Dogs definitely try and establish dominance amongst each other, but they're also a domesticated (sub)species and usually aren't provided with the type of environment wild wolves are which allows for less contact between unrelated males. So I pretty much agree with you there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tulune View Post
    fixed that for ya.
    Rats are much better pets than hamsters.