Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Void Elves - Why former blood elves and not high elves?

Hello.

I was pondering with a friend of mine about how silly it is that void elves have to be former blood elves banned by Silvermoon City by Lor'themar and Rommath due to their studies in the art of the void.

It's lore breaking: the blood knights of Silvermoon City surely cover a major influence over Quel'thalas nowadays society (although their use of light is pretty improper, as they drain the power of the naaru M'uru, former guardian of Tempest Keep, in order for them to exercise the powers of the paladins), but that's not an enough of a goo reason in my opinion for them to ban an elite of highly educated researchers from their own homeland.

Besides, the Horde has been making use of dark powers since forever and blood elves shadow priests class do exercise the power of the void without any social consequence.

So if they don't ban a whole class, why banning a race?

If they were high elves to begin with, such conflict wouldn't even be born imo, lol.
    They could have just made it like Alliance hig helves would just gather under Alleria's guidance in order to discover a new weapon to protect the life on Azeroth, that's all.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    The high elves flipped their shit over killing mana wyrms to survive, it would have been lore breaking for them to hop aboard it.

Blood knights are all light zealots now, and void magic can harm the sunwell, combine this with Drathnir, the greatest traitor to Quel'thalas, studying the void, it makes sense that they strongly dislike the void.

Also the blood elves were correct, the void lead to ruin and would have fucked the void elves over if Alleria hadn't shown up to save the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

It's already been datamined what happened with void elves through dialog strings. Spoilers: Alleria's presence endangers the Sunwell and she is banished, then she meets with the void elves (it's unclear if they're present during the sunwell event with alleria) who ask her to guide them to control their powers as they were cast out for the same reason.

I think it's less of a moral issue and more that void elves pose a threat to anything that channels the light. Sure, the Alliance is more light-based than the Horde, but the Alliance isn't trying to protect a fount of pure light magic that their people rely on for sanity.

Because there's only like..1500 high Elves still alive. Most of them have embraced the light and avoid dark magics to try and save themselves. They are already mistrusted by everyone, there's no way they would go into void magic and further that.

There is a difference between Shadow Priests and Void Elves. The priest only tap into the magic, like Warlocks do with fel. Void Elves say "hello darkness my old friend" and go way beyond just using it. Like the Fel Elves in outland. It's called "crossing the line".
    Last edited by Pandragon; 2017-12-18 at 05:19 PM.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Because blizzard wants us to forget high elves exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    That's a noble goal.

Because helves are a bunch of self-righteous elves w/ have holier than thou attitude, so dabbling in Void isn't their thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    The high elves flipped their shit over killing mana wyrms to survive, it would have been lore breaking for them to hop aboard it.
    Basically this.

10+ Year Old Account
    While some people will try and argue that High Elves COULD have been used, the reason they weren't is likely the obvious one. That a people who chose exile over consuming fel magic could not make the moral choice to use void magic (an even worse magic) to the point it would transform them (the only effect the Blood Elves got from consuming fel was a green tint to their eyes that may fade as time goes on).

It is something that would have been completely out of place in terms of the story

Remember also that High Elves were certainly considered to be added as a player race. They were one of the potential sub-races mentioned by Ion in 2015 when this concept was but barebones. High Elves were rejected, we know this because they were not chosen.

High Elves probably were immediately considered as the basis for the transformed Void Elves but this was not chosen as it does not make sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is also the most important reason - because high elves will never be playable on alliance.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is also the most important reason - because high elves will never be playable on alliance.
    Well they WERE considered. Of that we can be sure. And because they aren't playable we can also be sure they were rejected...for all the reasons we always said they would be. But the specific question is why THEY weren't turned into Void Elves and the answer is, story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aren't blood elves basically high elves that were addicted to the sunwell?
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    Because there's only like..1500 high Elves still alive. Most of them have embraced the light and avoid dark magics to try and save themselves. They are already mistrusted by everyone, there's no way they would go into void magic and further that.

There is a difference between Shadow Priests and Void Elves. The priest only tap into the magic, like Warlocks do with fel. Void Elves say "hello darkness my old friend" and go way beyond just using it. Like the Fel Elves in outland. It's called "crossing the line".
    And so more Blood Elves decide to go Void than there were High Elves? I dunno, it seems like a crappy excuse to me.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    And so more Blood Elves decide to go Void than there were High Elves? I dunno, it seems like a crappy excuse to me.
    void elves are described as being a small elite squad, so like 20? Idk why blizzard does it both ways.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Huntaer View Post
    Aren't blood elves basically high elves that were addicted to the sunwell?
    Every elf was addicted to the sunwell, high and blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    Well they WERE considered. Of that we can be sure. And because they aren't playable we can also be sure they were rejected...for all the reasons we always said they would be. But the specific question is why THEY weren't turned into Void Elves and the answer is, story.
    They were considered and found wanting. That more than anything, (well excluding Void elves being playable) proves that they will never be playable.

because it's the same thing?...

blood elves are the high elven survivors of Silvermoon... they renamed themselves in honor of their fallen breathen

did they change? yes, but being a genocide survivor usually does that

Deleted
    It would be highly out of character for the high Elves. It's the only thing that really seperates them from the Blood Elves. The High Elves refused to siphon power, so they left. If they now started to give themselves into the void to the point of almost losing themselves in it, would just break them.

The Blood Elves exiled the Void Elves because having a bunch of crazed lunatics running around isn't really something you want to have.

TL;DR: making High Elves Void Elves is ooc. It's more coherent to use corrupted Blood Elves.

They were considered and found wanting.
    Everytime I see that phrase, I have to think of Etraeus.

10+ Year Old Account
    void elves are described as being a small elite squad, so like 20? Idk why blizzard does it both ways.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh my... A Friendlyimmolation post I agree with...

THE END TIMES ARE UPON US!!!

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium

- - - Updated - - -

And yet there will be tens of thousands of them as soon as they're available. RIP immersion?

10+ Year Old Account
    They could make the Silver Covenant High Elves the ones to become Void Elves instead of exiled Blood Elves. But not willingly.
    It could work, think about it :

Vereesa had an idea. She invited her sister Alleria to visit her and her Silver Covenant followers, including every other remaining High Elf, in order to make a motivational speeche. But as Alleria was about to, she realized that her insides are so unhappy. Something she ate the night before must've given her food poisoning. She immediately starting to sneeze, fart and vomit Void everywhere. Every High Elf that day got exposed to the Void. And thus the Void Elves were born.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graden View Post
    They could make the Silver Covenant High Elves the ones to become Void Elves instead of exiled Blood Elves. But not willingly.
    It could work, think about it :

Vereesa had an idea. She invited her sister Alleria to visit her and her Silver Covenant followers, including every other remaining High Elf, in order to make a motivational speeche. But as Alleria was about to, she realized that her insides are so unhappy. Something she ate the night before must've given her food poisoning. She immediately starting to sneeze, fart and vomit Void everywhere. Every High Elf that day got exposed to the Void. And thus the Void Elves were born.
    I think that real reason is very simple. Blizzard loves pretending to be original. And high elves as they are, are one of most generic and uninspired things in whole warcraft mythos (and thats actually pretty impressive).

That being said, i wouldnt mind them getting void herpes from alleria.