Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Emmanuel Macron brings back Neoliberalism to France...

And with a support above 50% (and rising) it seems France, once the statist's dream, is in support of him and shows no sign of stopping.

https://www.politico.eu/article/emma...-bounces-back/

French President Emmanuel Macron’s popularity has bounced back from a summer slump, according to an opinion poll published Sunday.

Fifty-two percent of respondents are now satisfied with Macron’s work — up from 40 percent in August and an increase of six points over the last month, the survey by pollster IFOP for the Journal de Dimanche newspaper found.

The newspaper said such a rebound was “unprecedented” for a French president.

“None of his predecessors were able to climb out of the depths of unpopularity,” Frédéric Dabi, IFOP’s deputy director-general, told the paper.

After romping to victory in May’s presidential run-off, Macron’s popularity plummeted following the announcement of unpopular proposals to cut taxes for the wealthy and reform labor laws — so much so that he was described as France’s least popular president at the four-month mark.

The popularity of Prime Minister Edouard Philippe has also risen, to 54 percent, the IFOP survey found.

I wonder how much of a boost other world leaders have gotten in approval ratings after looking at our president.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    I wonder how much of a boost other world leaders have gotten in approval ratings after looking at our president.
    It's kinda amazing tbh. People were saying Trump was a sign of the end of Neoliberalism, however, not only is that not true he is making the ideology even more popular around the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Mittens View Post
    People were saying Trump was a sign of the end of Neoliberalism, however, not only is that not true he is making the ideology even more popular around the world.
    Trump didn't run as a Neoliberal. Now, anyone paying attention could tell that his alliance with the GoP would make his government Neoliberal in practice, but he was running against free trade.

And since Trump isn't going to actually change anything for the better, people are still going to be upset with the (Neoliberal) status quo in this country.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    This would be a really interesting thing to look at: i.e. will polls reflect people all over the West saying "well, our leader isn't that bad- at least he isn't Trump!"
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

10+ Year Old Account
    It's kinda amazing tbh. People were saying Trump was a sign of the end of Neoliberalism, however, not only is that not true he is making the ideology even more popular around the world.
    Do you even know what neoliberalism means outside of incorrect usage of the word liberal by americans in american politics?

Trump is a very oppressive and repressive in terms of their politics. Freedom and the right to be free only applies to the very wealthy and white male gun owners.

When your clown of a president is no longer promoting abortion as murder you can call him a liberal, when he releases his tax returns and gives more power back to the middle class you can call him a liberal, before that you have no clue as usual what you you are talking about. Trump didn't make anything popular he's the laughing stock of the world and so are his followers.
    Last edited by Acidbaron; 2017-12-18 at 12:58 PM.

Deleted
    Trump a neoliberal? What the actual fuck?

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Do you even know what neoliberalism means outside of incorrect usage of the word liberal by americans in american politics?

Trump is a very oppressive and repressive in terms of their politics. Freedom and the right to be free only applies to the very wealthy and white male gun owners.

When your clown of a president is no longer promoting abortion as murder you can call him a liberal, when he releases his tax returns and gives more power back to the middle class you can call him a liberal, before that you have no clue as usual what you you are talking about. Trump didn't make anything popular he's the laughing stock of the world and so are his followers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    Trump a neoliberal? What the actual fuck?
    I never make he was Neoliberal, just that he is making it popular due to sheer incompetence.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never make he was Neoliberal, just that he is making it popular due to sheer incompetence.
    How does incompetence make anything popular? Again do you even know what neoliberalism is?

You speak of words like statist and link to France, i honestly believe that you do not know what you are speaking off. Statism is one of those terms used by americans for americans to fear them into thinking of things like deep state control, what again is nothing more than fear mongering produced by another awful salesmen of a president reagan.

How does incompetence make anything popular? Again do you even know what neoliberalism is?

You speak of words like statist and link to France, i honestly believe that you do not know what you are speaking off. Statism is one of those terms used by americans for americans to fear them into thinking of things like deep state control, what again is nothing more than fear mongering produced by another awful salesmen of a president reagan.
    Because Trump was touted as a sign of the end of neoliberalism, the backlash of the working class against the neoliberal consensus amongst the elite. That clearly is not the case as the world is electing neoliberal leaders and his incompetence is making them (Neoliberalism) more popular than ever. And yes, France is the statist's dream with its excessive regulation and taxation. Jeez, I can't believe I have to spell this out. Anyway, you're not discussing in good faith so off to ignore with you.

I believe the implication is that Trump, who is NOT a neoliberal, is so spectacularly incompetent, that people who have opposed neoliberalism, are now supporting it, just because it isn't associated with Trump.

I don't agree with that assessment, but there is at least rational thought behind it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

Because Trump was touted as a sign of the end of neoliberalism, the backlash of the working class against the neoliberal consensus amongst the elite. That clearly is not the case as the world is electing neoliberal leaders and his incompetence is making them (Neoliberalism) more popular than ever. And yes, France is the statist's dream with its excessive regulation and taxation. Jeez, I can't believe I have to spell this out. Anyway, you're not discussing in good faith so off to ignore with you.
    I think you are reading too much into it, Trump is just such a train wreck that every country with a competent leader is thanking their stars. Trump is the really ugly chick girls hang out to make them look good, he's pretty much lowered the bar when it comes to world leaders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Again do you know what neoliberalism and statism actually means? How is Trump a working class president, name a single policy enacted that puts deed to word.

Ignore me if you must that does not mean your lack of knowledge on this subject won't become something i'll repeatedly point out.

Macron is RIGHT WING, yes he is. However neoliberalism does not refer to either left or right if you bothered to look it up at one point and not parrot whatever sad excuse of a news feed you follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    I think you are reading too much into it, Trump is just such a train wreck that every country with a competent leader is thanking their stars. Trump is the really ugly chick girls hang out to make them look good, he's pretty much lowered the bar when it comes to world leaders.
    Oh yeah, credit where credit is due. Macron has done some excellent work and has actually followed through the reforms he promised to enact. I just think it's amazing that Neoliberalism is becoming a thing in France.

Oh yeah, credit where credit is due. Macron has done some excellent work and has actually followed through the reforms he promised to enact. I just think it's amazing that Neoliberalism is becoming a thing in France.
    I think you should be careful EU political standing don't translate to the same as the US, Macron was right wing and Lepen was very much a liberal but she was such a wack job that no one wanted her in power.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think you should be careful EU political standing don't translate to the same as the US, Macron was right wing and Lepen was very much a liberal but she was such a wack job that no one wanted her in power.
    Mittens cares little for what translates or how stuff translates to the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

I mean, yeah, Neoliberalism skews right with its most famous representant being Reagan and all that. Also, Le Pen liberal? She pretty much wanted more protectionism than the EU grants it and closed borders, positions that aren't exactly liberal.

I mean, yeah, Neoliberalism skews right with its most famous representant being Reagan and all that. Also, Le Pen liberal? She pretty much wanted more protectionism than the EU grants it and closed borders, positions that aren't exactly liberal.
    But immigration was the only conservative stance she had, LePen also wanted massive government spending and expansion, welfare and more taxes. If someone agreed with everything democrats wanted except immigration you wouldn't call them right wing. The EU political stances do not translate well to the US, there is very little liberal about Macron either.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Mittens cares little for what translates or how stuff translates to the US.
    To be fair he's not the only one, I always got a good chuckle watching Trump supporters cheering for Lepen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Neoliberals are center(Trudue) to center-right(macron), not far right nutjob that Trump is.

But immigration was the only conservative stance she had, LePen also wanted massive government spending and expansion, welfare and more taxes. If someone agreed with everything democrats wanted except immigration you wouldn't call them right wing. The EU political stances do not translate well to the US, there is very little liberal about Macron either.

- - - Updated - - -

To be fair he's not the only one, I always got a good chuckle watching Trump supporters cheering for Lepen.
    It should be kinda obvious that I'm talking liberal in the classical sense and Neoliberalism is kinda of a throwback to that.

France has surrendered to liberalization, not at all surprising coming from the birthplace of modern day feminism.