Poll: Should Cross-Realm be removed?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Remove cross-realm or not

Am i the only one who thinks cross-realm should go?
    In my opinion it has done more bad than good to the community.

What are your thoughts about it?

It should go, and I'd love it to go, but it's too late and it's a core part of the way the server architecture works now and will continue to until WoW "ends". Unfortunately, it's too late, and it's here to stay.

Many guilds have cross-realm members now too. It just cannot happen. Server specific communities are gone for good.
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

No, it shouldn't go and at this point it's even silly to think that it could go.

Blizzard would have to remove a lot of servers if they did that and there would still be the issue that a lot of players play the game when a new patch or expansion is released.
    After a few months though, most simply leave and servers will start to feel really empty.

how has it done more bad to the community? You really wanna go back to the days of having literally 10 or so well populated servers and the rest complete wastelands? Cross realm servers is one of the best things to happen to WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by alexchaos View Post

Not, it's a core feature and if you remove it, subs will drop.

Ive always played on a low pop server, recently RL mates joined and for some reason they wanted a low pop pvp server.

Long story short we wanted to set up a raiding guild, both servers are completely shit in terms of getting new players so the pool is completely low. Because of Cross realm possibilities, we now have the same guild set up on both servers using a addon to merge the g chats. While new players are rare to find, we now have two guilds actively looking instead of one. Also 5 of our members are on a different server, sure they aren't in guild but they turn up each week without fail and come to the keystone nights

Its a feature which works essentially

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    Not, it's a core feature and if you remove it, subs will drop.

Ive always played on a low pop server, recently RL mates joined and for some reason they wanted a low pop pvp server.

Long story short we wanted to set up a raiding guild, both servers are completely shit in terms of getting new players so the pool is completely low. Because of Cross realm possibilities, we now have the same guild set up on both servers using a addon to merge the g chats. While new players are rare to find, we now have two guilds actively looking instead of one. Also 5 of our members are on a different server, sure they aren't in guild but they turn up each week without fail and come to the keystone nights

Its a feature which works essentially
    So what I get so far is that Cross Realm guilds is a good thing. But why does Cross-Realm guilds and Cross-Realms have to be bundled together?
    Pretty sure that just having Cross-Realm guilds would've been much better and when you're in a group together you get port to the leader's server.

Every player I met which wasn't in my guild, I havn't seen a single one twice since I re-subbed back in WoD. How is that a good change for the health of server community?

I understand it was a good move for guilds but above that? Not so sure.

Imo having free transfers to higher populated servers with a notice of server closing should've been the fix. Cross-Realm has also created lots of bugs that are not fixed yet.
    Last edited by alexchaos; 2017-12-18 at 11:18 AM.

So what I get so far is that Cross Realm guilds is a good thing. But why does Cross-Realm guilds and Cross-Realms have to be bundled together?
    Pretty sure that just having Cross-Realm guilds would've been much better and when you're in a group together you get port to the leader's server.

Every player I met which wasn't in my guild, I havn't seen a single one twice since I re-subbed back in WoD. How is that a good change for the health of server community?

I understand it was a good move for guilds but above that? Not so sure.

Imo having free transfers to higher populated servers with a notice of server closing should've been the fix. Cross-Realm has also created lots of bugs that are not fixed yet.
    It isn't good for the community, but the community turned cancerous long ago, re-closing off the servers won't change that.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hey guys, what if we ruined the current, extremely popular raiding pugging scene?

10+ Year Old Account

What bad has it done to counter what good it has done?

More people is good.
    More people is bad.
    Active zone is good.
    Active zone is bad.
    CRZ jumping can be good.
    CRZ jumping can be bad.

Depends on where you stance is, and so on.

- - - Updated - - -

It isn't good for the community, but the community turned cancerous long ago, re-closing off the servers won't change that.
    It was already 'cancerous' at times before the cross realm.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    What bad has it done to counter what good it has done?

More people is good.
    More people is bad.
    Active zone is good.
    Active zone is bad.
    CRZ jumping can be good.
    CRZ jumping can be bad.

Depends on where you stance is, and so on.

- - - Updated - - -

It was already 'cancerous' at times before the cross realm.
    No it wasn't. Not at all.

On the whole, the community was great on each server, everyone knew everyone. People helped out, people took a interest in other people. This was all down to not having CR, if you fucked off the community you literally had no one to go to. I once saw a guy get outed and he ended up server transferring because he ninja'd a pair of BoE epic healing legs as a warrior. CRZ removed that and gave everyone anonymity and each year it gets worse and worse.

10+ Year Old Account
    No it wasn't. Not at all.

On the whole, the community was great on each server, everyone knew everyone. People helped out, people took a interest in other people. This was all down to not having CR, if you fucked off the community you literally had no one to go to. I once saw a guy get outed and he ended up server transferring because he ninja'd a pair of BoE epic healing legs as a warrior. CRZ removed that and gave everyone anonymity and each year it gets worse and worse.
    No, people didn't always help each other. Yes, community was great but you were still segmented in smaller portions. Of course they outed people who fucked things up but the community back then could easily be as 'cancerous' as the community now a days could be good. I am just pointing out, communities wasn't always flowers even before CRZ.

So, yes, it was as well.

I've seen one section of a server protect a raider who fucked our another cluster of raiders. I've seen a whole server shun a player of the server for being a dick. I've seen raiding guilds block of the sun from other raiding guilds just because they didn't like the leader.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    No, people didn't always help each other. Yes, community was great but you were still segmented in smaller portions. Of course they outed people who fucked things up but the community back then could easily be as 'cancerous' as the community now a days could be good. I am just pointing out, communities wasn't always flowers even before CRZ.
    Still it was different, you could trade with people, guild with people you met. And would usually see them more then once. Felt more like a community then the spiderweb of realms it is now.

Now realm-hopping to find rare spawns and chest and stuff shouldn't be good design... simply means there are problems with realm distributions.

Less realms would be good for the game if they can fix overcrowding and lag problems like big servers have, AH can be pretty broken at times as well.

Now of course for world bosses/invasion points/world quests, cross realm tech has it's pros. But the automated CRZ doesn't add much imo.

Either the game should fully support it, including guilds and Auction house, or things need to be adjusted.

The concept of pvp realms is going away somewhat in BfA, so maybe that's 1 step for different approach on realms as a whole in the future.
    Last edited by Teri; 2017-12-18 at 02:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    Still it was different, you could trade with people, guild with people you met. And would usually see them more then once. Felt more like a community then the spiderweb of realms it is now.
    Ah, but that is a different section of the problem. I was more or less talking attitude of experiences. It does feel good - and can still be experienced rarely - to meet and tag along, work together with people that you've met.

Now realm-hopping to find rare spawns and chest and stuff shouldn't be good design... simply means there are problems with realm distributions.
    To be honest, realm hopping should be broken as soon as possible. Only reason it is there is because people don't agree with having to wait for things.

Less realms would be good for the game if they can fix overcrowding and lag problems like big servers have, AH can be pretty broken at times as well.
    It would be nicer for having it boiled down a bit but Blizzard should take notice on some realms to not treat them the same.

Now of course for world bosses/invasion points/world quests, cross realm tech has it's pros. But the automated CRZ doesn't add much imo.
    Oh, it does have more pro's than con's but the few con's are also the worst of the feature.

You can still meet ppl from guild or ppl that you do M+ or anything wow related. CRZ didnt removed that, you being lazy is one thing ( not you but ppl in general ). Trade is done on AH, it was done like that for 12+ years now, so CRZ didnt made any impact.
    Last edited by markos82; 2017-12-18 at 02:34 PM.

Deleted
    on the contrary they should make xrealm correctly like it should have been from start aka you be able to xchange items and gold.

Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    You can still meet ppl from guild or ppl that you do M+ or anything wiw related. CRZ didnt removed that, you being lazy is one thing ( not you but ppl in general ). Trade is done on AH, it was done like that for 12+ years now, so CRZ didnt made any impact.
    Pretty hard to make connections with people when they don't respond in chat for the whole dungeon and run ahead like crazy, (Mostly in M+ under 10). And even above 10 people just leave right away once the key is done. No time for chit chat anymore.

But this isn't the community's fault, Blizz made it this way. Blizz made players impatient by giving them everything so easily. Players are like little kids, give some they'll want more, if you give more they'll still ask for more and that's where Blizz didn't stop.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    on the contrary they should make xrealm correctly like it should have been from start aka you be able to xchange items and gold.
    Yes at this point it's probably better to go all the way, instead of removing it. Including economy/trade/guilding.

Region-wide AH with brand-new tech/interface to make it much quicker and remove the 10000 stacks of 1.

Removing it would only work with some heavy realm-reworking/merging.

Classic WoW is like a fresh testbed and I hope that remains without Cross realm (only argument can be made for 1.12 battlegrounds if queue times become horrible), Legion/BfA is different.

Anyway, they can go both ways about it for BfA/future. But either way, the Auction house for one needs an improvement regardless. And the in-game guild recruitment interface/trade chat could use improvements as well...
    Last edited by Teri; 2017-12-18 at 02:42 PM.

Unless it's replaced for a better system (gw2's system comes to mind), it should stay as it is. It's not great, but it definitely beats the alternative - both from the player that wants active environments and from a marketing point of views.

Imo they should go one step further and make all auction houses region wide (also trading), and add sharding to /1 & /2 chats depending on activity (and language).