Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    I think most people understand that this is a temporary farce.
    Unfortunately, it's still going to have lasting repercussions.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    It should familiar... coalition of the willing... we are on pace to once again be calling French Fries, Freedom Fries...
    Freedom onion soup.
    Freedom dip.
    Freedom press.

Man, there's going to be a whole lot of FREEDOM in American's diets pretty soon : P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Freedom onion soup.
    Freedom dip.
    Freedom press.

Man, there's going to be a whole lot of FREEDOM in American's diets pretty soon : P
    escargot is being renamed into an emoji of the American flag.

Pâté will remain being called cat food.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    "So many countries you've never heard of. Have you ever heard of Togo? I bet you haven't, nobody knew what Togo was until they decided to side with us on this important vote. We love Togo, they make great sandwiches there!"

ok, to Micronesia Palau and Marshall Islands it was not an idle threat: they use US$ as currency and cannot risk Trump's wrath.
    still would like to know what the "usual allys" told the us emissaries about the "do as we say or else!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I mean, what was the threat again? That he'd read a list? I am sure everything he reads needs to be in bullet-point format anyway.
    He wants to withdraw US financial aide from the countries that vote against the US. Which I hope they all vote against us, not because I give a shit about how Palestinians want to dirt farm half of Jerusalem but because we could use the money back home for something more useful.

I think the best approach for the rest of the West is to sigh and ignore the cheeto in the white house until it gets replaced.
    Lest be honest, he doesn't even say the stupidest shit. Margot Wallström takes the cake with her "Sweden will pursue a feminist foreign policy to counter macho Russian aggression" while at the same time allowing Swedish women to raped in record numbers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moadar View Post
    Lest be honest, he doesn't even say the stupidest shit. Margot Wallström takes the cake with her "Sweden will pursue a feminist foreign policy to counter macho Russian aggression" while at the same time allowing Swedish women to raped in record numbers.
    Are you trying to compete for stupidest shit or is the bold just a coincidental entry into the contest?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    He wants to withdraw US financial aide from the countries that vote against the US. Which I hope they all vote against us, not because I give a shit about how Palestinians want to dirt farm half of Jerusalem but because we could use the money back home for something more useful.
    The US spends hardly anything on foreign aid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Oh, so withdraw the <1% of the budget used to make sure China is not the only person making investments in Africa or the quarter of that budget that is used to train local militia so you don't have to send you own people?
    Thats still 49 billion dollars. China's African adventure will turn out like all the others that did last century and fail. Those local militias usually run from the fighting or join the enemy, and it shouldn't be the job of the US to do that. Let the UN train local militia if it thinks its important.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Are you trying to compete for stupidest shit or is the bold just a coincidental entry into the contest?
    I don't know but you seem like you would be perfect to judge that contest.

Sweden seems to be more interested in covering up the statistics than fighting the actual problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats still 49 billion dollars.
    Which is a drop in the bucket.

China's African adventure will turn out like all the others that did last century and fail. Those local militias usually run from the fighting or join the enemy, and it shouldn't be the job of the US to do that. Let the UN train local militia if it thinks its important.
    Whether or not the 'African adventure' succeeds or fails is immaterial; foreign aid is essentially buying a good image to the international community with the reassurance that the United States has your country's back when it falls on hard times.

But hey, I get that right wing foreign policy is purely a function of dick wagging.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Which is a drop in the bucket.

Whether or not the 'African adventure' succeeds or fails is immaterial; foreign aid is essentially buying a good image to the international community with the reassurance that the United States has your country's back when it falls on hard times.

But hey, I get that right wing foreign policy is purely a function of dick wagging.
    Hey its a drop in the bucket but more than we spend on homeless in the US, so it would make a difference.

I'm pretty alliances reassure other nations that the US has their back. I mean its only a drop in the bucket so no one will mind right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Freedom onion soup.
    Freedom dip.
    Freedom press.

No more Erwten soup for you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    no votes: Israel USA Guatemala Honduras Marshall Islands Micronesia Nauru Palau Togo

So basically the USA's list of diplomatic allies in the UN is reduced to this collection of countries

Whilst writing this I cant help but think that all of this plays straight into Russia hands

Whilst Trump seems to be tanking the USA on the world stage, Russia is exercising more and more influence globally even calling for the removal of US troops from Syria

It looks like they might also be on course to come up with a solution to the Syrian crisis in record time

Global political clout shifting back to the East again?
    No. I mean you can read above why I think this was throughly moronic.

But that being said, no country is going to take this one bit beyond this. Why? It doesn't effect anybody's core interests.

Or let me put it this way.

Why would... I don't know... South Korea, or Hungary, or Colombia... hinge their core interests on something that effects a few million people only in theory, sometimes on the litteral other side of the planet?

The answer is: they won't. They want this to all go away.

Hey its a drop in the bucket but more than we spend on homeless in the US, so it would make a difference.
    You realize a lot of the foreign aid expenditures are done for security reasons too, right?

I'm pretty alliances reassure other nations that the US has their back.
    Considering Trump has openly questioned those alliances and raised the potential threat of the US not holding up our end of the bargain, I wouldn't be so sure.

I mean its only a drop in the bucket so no one will mind right?
    Drop in the bucket for our budget, they're hugely important for many of the recipient countries.

Thats still 49 billion dollars. China's African adventure will turn out like all the others that did last century and fail. Those local militias usually run from the fighting or join the enemy, and it shouldn't be the job of the US to do that. Let the UN train local militia if it thinks its important.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know but you seem like you would be perfect to judge that contest.

Sweden seems to be more interested in covering up the statistics than fighting the actual problem.
    America's Europeaan and Asian adventure created the most dynamic economies on the planet, and bought us crucial access.

Whats with you people wanting to deprive America of useful tools to advance it's agenda. The concept of carrot and stick too foreign to you? You think cutting WWE promos and making threats is seriously going to enhance our power and respect in the world?

It's fucking juvenile. Good heavens. As we saw today, the majority of the world told us to take a long walk off a short bridge with how we acted.

And want to know why they're completely correct to do so? Because when the shoe has been on the other foot, we have been in their position doing the exact same. Because demanding a kissing of the ring doesn't actually produce any sort of desirable outcome.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm pretty alliances reassure other nations that the US has their back. I mean its only a drop in the bucket so no one will mind right?
    Most foreign aid is military aid. It's a fraction the size it should be.

The US spends $2.5 trillion a year at the Federal level on the Social Safety Net.

Those alliances are smoothed over with money and other types of aid. It buys us access.

Why do you want to deprive America of access?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    no votes: Israel USA Guatemala Honduras Marshall Islands Micronesia Nauru Palau Togo
    EU was in favour or abstained with Germany France UK Netherlands Belgium etc. in favour. Now give us bad names plz

So the "No's" are entirely defacto US dependencies.

The "Abstentions", with Australia and Romania and Poland and Latvia and Canada and Mexico, are countries that have more critical bi-lateral concerns with the US (i.e. NAFTA renegotiation, China, Russia).

The "Yea's" are everybody else, rightly figuring out that the US won't shoot itself in the foot over this, but not wanting to give the US leverage in any negotiations with them.

Trump's team is full of imbeciles.

You realize a lot of the foreign aid expenditures are done for security reasons too, right?

Considering Trump has openly questioned those alliances and raised the potential threat of the US not holding up our end of the bargain, I wouldn't be so sure.

Drop in the bucket for our budget, they're hugely important for many of the recipient countries.
    Alliances should be mutually beneficial right now its "gimme me your money and I vote against you". Moving the embassy to Jerusalem is going to happen eventually anyway might as well just get it over with.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    The US spends hardly anything on foreign aid.
    We literally outspend every nation in the world.

- - - Updated - - -

Alliances should be mutually beneficial right now its "gimme me your money and I vote against you". Moving the embassy to Jerusalem is going to happen eventually anyway might as well just get it over with.
    Votes in the UN are grandstanding. When those nations seriously oppose our interests thats when you might have a point.

The US gave up crucial leverage in mediation in negotiation by giving away such a reward for nothing. I'll just quote myself:

Recognizing Jerusalem as Israel's capital right now, was stupid from every angle.

Jerusalem's final status is one of the core political and religious issues of the entire Israeli / Palestinian conflict, for really good historical reasons.

The United States, in this conflict, occupied a bizarre role. On the one hand, we took it upon ourselves as "the biggest, most powerful player in the game" to do what no other country or assortment of countries could do, which is mediate a permanent and enduring resolution to the conflict. Mediate means neutrality. And over the past 35 years, the US repeatedly worked, largely in good faith, torwards an equitable outcome. When it was the Israel and Palestine, Israel and Egypt, or Israel and Jordan, the US worked as a mediator, and through that advanced its own interests.

-> Negotiation of an Israeli/Egyptian peace pulled Egypt out of the Soviet sphere and into the US one. The Camp David Accords.
    -> Negotiation of Israeli and Jordanian peace in 1994 stabilized the reason and opened the route to an Israeli/Palestinian peace. The US also gained access.
    -> Repeated attempts at Israeli / Palestinian peace advanced US interests with both, in the region, and kept Iranian and Russian influence at bay.

By being a mediator, ostensibly neutral, the US enabled a regional crisis to become a vehicle to advance its own regional interests.

But here's the thing, the US was never neutral, and everybody knew it. That this was the case was something of a wink and a nod, given that the US has been Israel's closest ally for decade. But the countries that Israeli negotiated against allowed the US to assume the mediator mantle because they believed the US was acting in good faith and could restrain Israeli behavior, and get them to offer concessions another process would not get them to.

In other words, the convenient fiction advanced everybody's interests.
    -> The US advanced its regional agenda
    -> Israel believed the US had it's back ultimately
    -> Jordan, Palestine, Egypt and others believed they could get better agreements with US help.

And now Donald Trump has recklessly and stupidly thrown that useful tool... this convenient fiction... away. And for what? How does the US tangibly gain?

Here's the truth. The US was ALWAYS going to recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital. It was ALWAYS going to happen. But it was going to do it, in coordination with the UN and and leading most of the other 193 countries in the world on that day, the day that the Israelis and Palestinians arrived at a final peace that saw Jerusalem as the capital of both countries. On that day, the US, joined by the entire world, would be recognizing a negotiated outcome.

And between where we are, and that day the US would be able to wield that promise of recognition as a hammer, to coerce both the Israelis and Palestinians, to produce a more equitable deal. Considering that US recognition is a powerful and useful thing for them, and we could deny it if we chose, it has and would continue to have, been useful leverage.

And here we have Donald Trump, the great negotiator, giving up leverage, for what exactly?

So now the US stands alone, having done something pointless and gained nothing for it. And torched useful leverage.

So what happens now? Is Israel and Palestine closer to peace? Does the US advance its interests in the region with this? Does the US gain leverage from this? Hell no on all accounts.

This is juvenile diplomacy because it's about feels, and not about outcomes. The US will, because of this, NEVER get back it's role as a mediator for the conflict, a role that has been enormously useful to us in the region. The final peace will now likely be a multiparty negotiated settlement, probably similar to the Iran deal. The US will be Israel's lawyer, not a mediator, and Russia, China and the EU will all get substantial says, not to mention Saudi Arabia, Iran, and Egypt. This all means probably a worse outcome for Israel in the end, and deeply unresolved issues for the Palestinians, who will not have the US able to to reign in Israel.

This entire affair is just more stupid Trumpian Foreign Policy.

Alliances should be mutually beneficial right now its "gimme me your money and I vote against you".
    They are mutually beneficial. A single vote on a non-issue like this is irrelevant and Trump is throwing a temper tantrum like a child.

Moving the embassy to Jerusalem is going to happen eventually anyway might as well just get it over with.
    What makes you think they aren't "over it". A single vote in the UN to call the decision stupid?

That's a low fucking bar.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    Trump has every right to be angry. USA saved Europe TWICE and rather then killing the Germans and salting the earth USA helped them, paid for them, rebuilt them and allowed them to become #1 in Europe. USA protected Europe from the USSR. Europe watches all the movies and plays all the games made in the USA. They buy products made or designed in the USA, and eat food grown in the USA. They would come running and crying begging for help on their knees if Russia or China attacked them, or if they had a food shortage or any other major issue. So yes, they owe the USA.

Take the names down Trump. Punish the scum who dare go against your wishes. Make examples of them. Europe needs the USA, the USA does not need Europe.

Also, whoever is strongest should take the land. Israel slaughtered and humiliated their pathetic neighbors on several occasions. (With USA's money and arms backing) I say let them off the leash armed with the newest weapons and have a nice test run of hardware, while wiping out people who hate and oppose the USA.

- - - Updated - - -

So you mean exactly what the left does? Why the hell do you have Bender as your avatar anyway? That would be like me having Haley Smith as an avatar.

US did shit all for WW1. Russia was the deciding factor in WW2.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)