Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I don't understand "Cultural Diversity" as an application

Long story short...

We hired one of these
    https://study.com/articles/Diversity...uirements.html
    to the tune of $200,000 a year plus staff costs. I live in the US and we have this thing called...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourte...s_Constitution

So I'm confused here. I keep hearing this term and I simply don't get it. I looked at the wiki on cultural diversity and cannot see how the fuck it has any relevance to nearly any conversation I keep hearing the term used.

What am I missing?

Deleted
    Haha.

Oh boy.

This is going to be good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well to say it simply...its a job that forces people who are racist (or any other kind) to play nice with others or they may lose job due to it.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Well to say it simply...its a job that forces people who are racist (or any other kind) to play nice with others or they may lose job due to it.
    Wouldn't that simply fall under the 14th in the first place?

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't we have a 30 page thread on this?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Didn't we have a 30 page thread on this?
    Didn't you already reply to one like this before too?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternalty View Post
    Didn't you already reply to one like this before too?
    Probably, yea

Quote Originally Posted by hakujinbakasama View Post
    Wouldn't that simply fall under the 14th in the first place?
    The new person's job is to make sure that everything in your workplace adheres to the 14th amendment.

It's all about some perceived notion that the United States is still heavily racists. But it's stuff like this that still keeps it alive. Affirmative action is racist.

As I understood it this person is there to prevent breaking the law in the first place.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

They hired them to make sure women and minorities are over represented in your work force.
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours

Long story short...

We hired one of these
    https://study.com/articles/Diversity...uirements.html
    to the tune of $200,000 a year plus staff costs. I live in the US and we have this thing called...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourte...s_Constitution

So I'm confused here. I keep hearing this term and I simply don't get it. I looked at the wiki on cultural diversity and cannot see how the fuck it has any relevance to nearly any conversation I keep hearing the term used.

What am I missing?
    Just a legal term for "quotas"...lol

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I looked at the wiki on cultural diversity and cannot see how the fuck it has any relevance to nearly any conversation I keep hearing the term used.
    just a racist concept used by racist people to combat 'other' racist people
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

The Lightbringer GreenGoldSharpie's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    As I understood it this person is there to prevent breaking the law in the first place.
    Generally, this and to shore up a company's reputation that both appeals to it's consumer base and attracts the quality of employees it wants working for it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quotas are bad in the first place and everyone with even half a functional brain knows this.

The only thing quotas do is making the working conditions more polluted because if you promote someone BECAUSE he/she/it is a minority/whatever over someone who would normally got promoted that person and after that even more would be pissed/angry whatever.

I refer to it as the Diversity-geld. Obviously paying $200K for a Chief Diversity Officer is a waste of money from a productivity perspective, but if it prevents a multi-million dollar lawsuit, it's easily worth the money.

As GreenGoldSharpie points out, it's also a potentially good marketing move.

It sounds like this job is to make sure your company doesn't break the law. Same reason companies hire lawyers. 200k is laughable though lol.

$200,000 a year is not enough pay for that job.

Basically it's a sales job, you meet with all kinds of people, some of them very angry and you negotiate deals that make them less angry.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

It's basically a job that exists because of people like Al Sharpton, you pay a ransom to his hitman and he doesn't go on NBC and say that company is not racist. Isn't this fun?

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mixxy Scratch View Post
    The new person's job is to make sure that everything in your workplace adheres to the 14th amendment.
    How does a Cheif diversity officer accomplish this in a way that a legal team or lawyers or standard HR cannot?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    It sounds like this job is to make sure your company doesn't break the law. Same reason companies hire lawyers. 200k is laughable though lol.
    See above.