Thread: WoW's peak?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

WoW's peak?

How many did WoW have the most subscribers at its peak? And when was it?

7+ Year Old Account
    Right click on question
    Search google for "How many did WoW have the most subscribers at its peak? And when was it?"
    First link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Warcraft
    With a peak of 12 million subscriptions in October 2010

Legion "Sold more than any previous expansion" so I'd have to say the peak was legion launch, but it obviously would have fallen off quickly. It's a shame they don't release numbers anymore, it always interested me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tengokuq View Post

I think it was 12.5 mil during Wrath.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thunterman View Post
    Legion "Sold more than any previous expansion" so I'd have to say the peak was legion launch, but it obviously would have fallen off quickly. It's a shame they don't release numbers anymore, it always interested me.
    sold more than any previous expansion during the launch, not in total though... and that number of expansion pack sales was only 3.3 million during the launch, for the record... A good number for any game, of course, but nowhere near the highest number of active accounts ever. WotLK peaked at over 12 million subscribers, I doubt Legion came anywhere near that number of active accounts.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2017-12-24 at 06:03 AM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

was roughly 12mil to 13mill at Wotlk i think

I believe its probably one of the mountains in Storm Peaks, hard to tell without an altimeter. Could be Mt Neverest in Pandaria.

7+ Year Old Account
    A few graphs:

Not concerning the numbers of active accounts, but on the way the games feels. I expected to have wow peak again when they announced WoD, and the first month felt that way. But I was wrong. Still, an expansion later, Legion hits like a truck an, at least to me, shows that Blizz has a lot planed for WoW and is willing to put a real push into it. I am curious about BfA, since I havent seen alot about it, but still I think Blizz really wants to put work into wow and not just let it flow like the years after WotLK (at least it seemed that way to me).
    Blademasters are as much Warriors as Navy Seals are Soldiers.
    A possible thought of a Blademaster about Warriors
    "They shout, they curse, stabbing wildly; more brawlers than warriors. They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part"
    (300)

If this was the case, Blizzard would have put it on every single social media site and used it as their marketing slogan for the next 3 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by UcanDoSht View Post
    Nobody is stopping you to play Elemental casually during questing or raiding #1000 with your disabled mage friends.

proof?

/10char

Basically what happened was Blizzard nuked the in-game community starting in late BC. They removed global chat, added Automatic match-making like dungeon finder / raid finder, etc. But it took about 1 expansion for the in-game community to completely disintegrate. So what you get is wild crazy growth in vanilla and BC, then this strange plateau as the in-game community disintegrate, and then subs start their descent.

The bump you see in 2014 was the 10th anniversary event. They released a HIGHLY social raid called Molten Core that actually started drawing social players back to WoW. The bosses weren't too hard but it was 40 people running around wrecking things. There was a lot of talking and having fun in that raid and it was so unlike any other raid they did because it was immensely FUN. Unfortunately, the antisocial players HATED the new Molten Core and demanded they rip it out. Blizzard actually goes in there and rips out this new MC after about 3-4 months, and not surprisingly subs utterly collapse again because the social players were tied up in it and had nowhere else to go.

Its like they were on the verge of ACCIDENTALLY rebuilding an in-game community with that MC and then Blizzard was like "nope, lets drive all the subs away again".
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

TBC period was WoW's peak.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    A few graphs:
    That prediction is so blatantly wrong, it's almost funny

Deleted
    Lol, those graphs are so retarded... subscriber wise WotLK was the peak, but gameplay wise... that is purely subjective for me it was WotLK and Legion (WoD and Cata bleurgh). WoW will never have as many subs as back then, but it won't go down to low ass numbers any time soon. It will spike every expansion and patch, hanging around a few million until Blizz decides to end WoW (which will take the death of the internet)

Quote Originally Posted by ReVnX View Post
    Yeah... product life graphs aren't paraboles, they're more like
    Last edited by mmoc5d54ba8d79; 2017-12-24 at 01:32 PM.

May be wrong, but if we were only looking at WOD and putting aside it's initial 3 month bump that massively dropped off after, it was pretty accurate generally.

7+ Year Old Account
    Heh, I didn't notice that part of the chart. Someone was feeling pessimistic about the future of WoW when it was made.

WOTLK was the peak while they still announced sub numbers.

Legion sold more copies at the start than WOTLK did, but last time they hit that number on sales the sub base peaked at 10 million + change.

People still adhering to the logical fallacy of "if they had good numbers they'd show them!!!!" ignore 2 things.

1) Blizzard committed to never release sub numbers again. Was it during a low of the game? Yes, but we've had an entirely expansion that's WoD's direct opposite with constant content streams since then that's hit critical acclaim and been a financial success.

2) Blizzard now represent the status of the game in the gaming industry standard, which is MAUSA or something like that.

It wouldn't surprise me if Legion reached 10 million+, and has had better retention (and word-of-mouth) than most expansions that came before it, but especially MoP (the theme was controversial) and WoD (that which shall not be named). WoD bottomed out at 5 million and some change before they stopped sharing sub numbers, but some people seem to be under the impression that they never turned it around, which is a stretch but I suppose they have their reasons for hoping for such a scenario.

Either way, WOTLK might have been the peak as far as subs go, but I don't consider it my personal peak.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-12-24 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tengokuq View Post
    Wotlk. A bit over 12 mil.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lockybalboa View Post
    TBC period was WoW's peak.
    Nah, it didn't have so many subs as wotlk.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    WOTLK was the peak while they still announced sub numbers.

Legion sold more copies at the start than WOTLK did, but last time they hit that number on sales the sub base peaked at 10 million + change.

People still adhering to the logical fallacy of "if they had good numbers they'd show them!!!!" ignore 2 things.

1) Blizzard committed to never release sub numbers again. Was it during a low of the game? Yes, but we've had an entirely expansion that's WoD's direct opposite with constant content streams since then that's hit critical acclaim and been a financial success.

2) Blizzard now represent the status of the game in the gaming industry standard, which is MAUSA or something like that.

It wouldn't surprise me if Legion reached 10 million+, and has had better retention (and word-of-mouth) than most expansions that came before it, but especially MoP (the theme was controversial) and WoD (that which shall not be named). WoD bottomed out at 5 million and some change before they stopped sharing sub numbers, but some people seem to be under the impression that they never turned it around, which is a stretch but I suppose they have their reasons for hoping for such a scenario.

Either way, WOTLK might have been the peak as far as subs go, but I don't consider it my personal peak.
    there is no way Legion retained subs as good as wrath or any expansion up to wod.. and wod didnt bottom out at 5m.. it was 100% lower than that