Thread: "Retail" label

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    How about just calling it [Current expansion]?.
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

10+ Year Old Account
    I think its just peoples way of saying 'current WoW'.

Least I think it is, I never use the term personally I always called it 'current WoW' when refering to WoW today, and Vanilla WoW when talking about classic :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    It bothers me because words have meanings:

You need some thicker skin then. There is no chance in hell that some label on this site is going to bother me at all. No one here means enough to me for anything anyone says to hold that much weight.

Quote Originally Posted by rewhaha View Post
    Plus i think there's a halfway decent chance that classic wow will not be a subscription service.
    I hope that won't happen. $15/mo is a price I'm willing to pay to stay as far away as possible from the f2p/b2p crowds like in GW2 for example.

- - - Updated - - -

Lanaguage change

All languages change continually, and do so in many and varied ways.

Semantic changes are shifts in the meanings of existing words. Basic types of semantic change include:

pejoration, in which a term's connotations become more negative
    amelioration, in which a term's connotations become more positive
    broadening, in which a term acquires additional potential uses
    narrowing, in which a term's potential uses are restricted

After a word enters a language, its meaning can change as through a shift in the valence of its connotations. As an example, when "villain" entered English it meant 'peasant' or 'farmhand', but acquired the connotation 'low-born' or 'scoundrel', and today only the negative use survives. Thus 'villain' has undergone pejoration. Conversely, the word "wicked" is undergoing amelioration in colloquial contexts, shifting from its original sense of 'evil', to the much more positive one as of 2009 of 'brilliant'.

Words' meanings may also change in terms of the breadth of their semantic domain. Narrowing a word limits its alternative meanings, whereas broadening associates new meanings with it. For example, "hound" (Old English hund) once referred to any dog, whereas in modern English it denotes only a particular type of canid. On the other hand, the word "dog" has been broadened from its Old English root 'dogge', the name of a particular breed, to become the general term for all canines.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just a matter of time before someone got offended being called a retailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiedzemir View Post
    I hope that won't happen. $15/mo is a price I'm willing to pay to stay as far away as possible from the f2p/b2p crowds like in GW2 for example.

- - - Updated - - -

Lanaguage change
    I must have missed when the definition of "retailer" was officially broadened to include "People that play the most current version of World of Warcraft." Retailers play the retail game they buy from retailers. Yeah. That sentence is totally clear.

There's already a term that works for that. "Subscriber"
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2017-12-25 at 05:52 PM.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

It's a leftover of private servers. Which still means it shouldn't be used since it doesn't actually apply to Classic, being a retail product itself.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Lanaguage change
    Yeah, it's shit like this which causes stuff like this:

literally
    ˈlɪt(ə)rəli/Submit
    adverb

- in a literal manner or sense; exactly.
    "the driver took it literally when asked to go straight over the roundabout"
    synonyms: verbatim, word for word, line for line, letter for letter, to the letter; More

- informal
    used for emphasis while not being literally true.
    "I have received literally thousands of letters"
    Pls don't...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rewhaha View Post
    who cares? the term works, and there's inertia behind it now. Why call anything anything?

Plus i think there's a halfway decent chance that classic wow will not be a subscription service.
    He he eh hehah he hahhe hue

Yeah, sure. Keep dreaming boi.

You're overthinking this..

Blizzard, in terms of the subscription, is the retailer. Subscribers are on the other end of that transaction.

"Subscriber" would be the term to use for people playing the retail version of the game.
    I hope everyone knows what you're getting at, but that's not the point. You're arguing for semantics sake and in the breadth of this topic is hardly different than being spelling or grammar police.

Unless you're going to suggest you don't and have never used a noun that meant one thing, but applied it to something entirely different.
    Last edited by evogsr; 2017-12-27 at 12:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's called retail because it is the official released version of WoW available at retailers.. I figured that would be self-explanatory but here we are.

Calling it live makes no sense because retail could also refer to stuff on the PTR and how are private servers that are online not considered live?

Quote Originally Posted by arboachg View Post
    What would you label the distinction between someone that plays the currently available WoW through retail versus the players of the unavailable, classic version?
    "live" and "classic" maybe. Think most used to call the current game "live" and private vanilla servers whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    Thinking is clearly not a strong point of yours.

here'es what you got in regards to classic being free

Poor Vince is starting to look OLD.
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

5+ Year Old Account
    HeyGuys

I am a retailer. *waves* I play retail. *waves*

Quote Originally Posted by Goondicker View Post
    Calling it "retail" simply started in the private server community and has stuck through the announcement of Classic. It's the easist way to specify the current version of the game compared to legacy versions.
    This.

/thread

Quote Originally Posted by evogsr View Post
    I hope everyone knows what you're getting at, but that's not the point. You're arguing for semantics sake and in the breadth of this topic is hardly different than being spelling or grammar police.

Unless you're going to suggest you don't and have never used a noun that meant one thing, but applied it to something entirely different.
    It's dog semantics to cornflakes that people dingleberry the rubber words. When chess don't bark can toilet confusing.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Sorry, but the crowd trying to make "retailer" a relevant word isn't big enough to attempt language change, they are just making themselves look stupid and uneducated with their awful English usage.

Once WoW Classic releases it will also become a retail product. So I suggest to stop using that dumb word and come up with another one.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    Sorry, but the crowd trying to make "retailer" a relevant word isn't big enough to attempt language change, they are just making themselves look stupid and uneducated with their awful English usage.

Once WoW Classic releases it will also become a retail product. So I suggest to stop using that dumb word and come up with another one.
    Also, I hope you people realize that this is the Internet and more you rage about it, the more this term will be used.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    They expect 1:1 Vanilla. As each day passes, I am getting sure that they won't get that.
    Because each day you convince yourself that "they won't". Isn't it funny how it works. You make your own assumptions, then repeat them many times and at some point you start believe at them as these were facts and not some nonsense made up by yourself.

Deleted
    Because... certain... people... love flashy labels, even if they make zero sense. Wrath babies, welfare epics, etc.. American politics is the best example though, it is amazing how many insults the two sides have for each other, even though they're stupid if you think about it for more than two seconds (sensible Republicans are liberals, for example)