Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    Deleted

Do people really know what they are asking for?

Don't get me wrong guys, I'm all up for changes, and throwbacks, and stuff like that. And just like all of you I can't wait to log in the new "old servers" and be reminded how it was back then. But even I don't know for sure if I want to go through that again. I'm afraid that I will log for a few days, maybe a couple of weeks, and then just quit. And I am afraid it will be the same with many other players as well.

Everybody is talking about what we miss from Vanilla, and what was most fun in Vanilla, but I rarely see people discussing the negative things, and if we will be able to endure them as they were back then. Sure, I also have a lot of awesome memmories and things I miss from Vanilla, but there are also plenty of things I don't miss. Please allow me to remind you of a few:

1. Leveing to max (lvl60) back in Vanilla took approximately 2 months of active play.
    2. Quests did not have any kind of indications on map, minimap, sidebar, whatsoever. You actually had to read the log so you could find out where you have to go, and what you have to do. And even after doing so, you would find out the text is full with riddles and references. Some of these were actually quite hard for me since English is not my mother language.
    3. You get your first mount at level 40, at which point you don't really have the gold to afford it. Those mounts had 40% speed. After you hit 60 you had to farm for days so you could afford the 100% mount. The maximum amount of travel speed you could obtain was 120% through trinket and enchant which would increase your grount mount speed additionally. And last but not least, there were no flying mounts.
    4. There were no group finders. You had to spam trade chats in capital cities - sometimes for hours if you play dps class. Then you find out your group consists of a bunch of undergeared people since you wipe 10 times at the 1st boss in BRD.
    5. Spell-rank sifting. Spell-ranks were not united as they are now. In order to effectively use your mana pool you had to put a few ranks from the majority of your spells on your bars and activelly decide which one you need at any given moment.
    6. Raid preparation included more consumables other than your regular flask, food and pot. There were stuff like mana runes, weapon oils, weapon grinders, etc. There were no food tables or flask cauldrons. Farming all that took a lot of time. I remember spending 2 hours before raid every single day, only to farm the mats for flasks and food, the special consumables and warlock shards.

I won't be making the list too long, but these are only a few, probably out of hundreds of things that were quite uncomfortable back in the day. It makes me wonder how much will the nowday WoW player (myself included) last in that environment.

What do you guys think?

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GGrim View Post
    Don't get me wrong guys, I'm all up for changes, and throwbacks, and stuff like that. And just like all of you I can't wait to log in the new "old servers" and be reminded how it was back then. But even I don't know for sure if I want to go through that again. I'm afraid that I will log for a few days, maybe a couple of weeks, and then just quit. And I am afraid it will be the same with many other players as well.

Everybody is talking about what we miss from Vanilla, and what was most fun in Vanilla, but I rarely see people discussing the negative things, and if we will be able to endure them as they were back then. Sure, I also have a lot of awesome memmories and things I miss from Vanilla, but there are also plenty of things I don't miss. Please allow me to remind you of a few:

1. Leveing to max (lvl60) back in Vanilla took approximately 2 months of active play.
    2. Quests did not have any kind of indications on map, minimap, sidebar, whatsoever. You actually had to read the log so you could find out where you have to go, and what you have to do. And even after doing so, you would find out the text is full with riddles and references. Some of these were actually quite hard for me since English is not my mother language.
    3. You get your first mount at level 40, at which point you don't really have the gold to afford it. Those mounts had 40% speed. After you hit 60 you had to farm for days so you could afford the 100% mount. The maximum amount of travel speed you could obtain was 120% through trinket and enchant which would increase your grount mount speed additionally. And last but not least, there were no flying mounts.
    4. There were no group finders. You had to spam trade chats in capital cities - sometimes for hours if you play dps class. Then you find out your group consists of a bunch of undergeared people since you wipe 10 times at the 1st boss in BRD.
    5. Spell-rank sifting. Spell-ranks were not united as they are now. In order to effectively use your mana pool you had to put a few ranks from the majority of your spells on your bars and activelly decide which one you need at any given moment.
    6. Raid preparation included more consumables other than your regular flask, food and pot. There were stuff like mana runes, weapon oils, weapon grinders, etc. There were no food tables or flask cauldrons. Farming all that took a lot of time. I remember spending 2 hours before raid every single day, only to farm the mats for flasks and food, the special consumables and warlock shards.

I won't be making the list too long, but these are only a few, probably out of hundreds of things that were quite uncomfortable back in the day. It makes me wonder how much will the nowday WoW player (myself included) last in that environment.

What do you guys think?
    1. Love this. It makes the world feel big. It's not about the destination (lvl60) its about the adventure to get to lvl60.
    2. See #1 above.
    3. Also see #1
    4. Adversity breeds character, also it forces you to interact with your fellow dungeon-goers. In current WoW you queue up, clear dungeon in 15mins and never utter a word. Completely lacking of soul. Sterile.
    5. This adds a fun and challenging dimension to the game. Choose your ranks wisely on the fly or the tank dies.
    6. This adds to stuff to do outside of raids once you are done gearing in pre-raid.
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

I think that people know very well what they want when it comes to WoW Vanilla.

The following are one-month-old stats from a new Vanilla progressive-type server that started from patch 1.2 "Mysteries of Maraudon".

In the space of just one month we got 250,000 players. So yeah, I'd say people know what they want and love it.

In the meantime, the folks at Blizzard are fap... errr sleeping and losing money every hour. The clock is ticking, Blizzard.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

Have zero issues with any of them and I've went back and played it since then so I know I'm not just glossing over it. At one point I had the same concerns you did, and in fact for a very long time I was one that said I would never want to go back to that mess, then I played it again. Oddly enough, many of the things people list as things they don't like ended up being part of the charm of that time. Can't say that will apply to everyone, but I'm ready for that type of thing again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post

The following are one-month-old stats from a new Vanilla progressive-type server that started from patch 1.2 "Mysteries of Maraudon".

In the space of just one month we got 250,000 players. So yeah, I'd say people know what they want and love it.

In the meantime, the folks at Blizzard are fap... errr sleeping and losing money every hour. The clock is ticking, Blizzard.
    250,000 characters.....
    That's not even close to 250,000 players, let alone how many of those are bot accounts. (Many of which are, private servers are notorious for bots to the point where servers shut down due to economies collapsing from botters.)

That's kind of the problem with these self serving statistical graphics from illegal private servers: their numbers cannot even be referenced, verified or held to any sort of relevance.

edit: I ran the numbers, the gold looted vs. the characters created pitched it being about 40s a character on average. So yeah, bots.
    Last edited by Blamblam41; 2017-12-20 at 11:07 AM.
    There is absolutely no basis for individual rights to firearms or self defense under any contextual interpretation of the second amendment of the United States Constitution. It defines clearly a militia of which is regulated of the people and arms, for the expressed purpose of protection of the free state. Unwillingness to take in even the most basic and whole context of these laws is exactly the road to anarchy.

15+ Year Old Account

In the space of one month 150,000 accounts were made, and 843 reached max level.

Think about that.

845/150,000 = 0.6% of accounts got a character to max level after 1 month, with each account having an average of 16 hours played.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Mechagnome
    7+ Year Old Account

250,000 accounts with 5,580 peak usage is chump change to blizzard lmao. I'd say this suggests people don't know what they want at all.
    Ily mmoc

What do you guys think?
    i think it will be hillarius to see how nowadays gamers react to ancient slow like f... and boring like hell stuff

literaly cant wait for the shitstorm that we will see on forums once its released

that shitstorm on forums is actually something which im much more hyped about because since i did play back then i know how nowadays gamers will react and that it will be called the biggest gaming overhype-fail of ad2019 or ad 2020 or whenever it comes out

will be hillarious

Do you actually think that the Vanilla WoW community that has been playing Vanilla private servers for the last 10 years, gathered 300k petition signatures, have spammed forums, made videos, etc. aren't aware of the things you posted in the OP? That is the game they want. If you don't want it, don't play it. Very simple
    Classic WoW Content Creator - Daily Streams and Bi-Weekly Videos!
    Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/staysafetv
    YouTube: https://youtube.com/staysafetv

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Storfan View Post
    1. Love this. It makes the world feel big. It's not about the destination (lvl60) its about the adventure to get to lvl60.
    2. See #1 above.
    3. Also see #1
    4. Adversity breeds character, also it forces you to interact with your fellow dungeon-goers. In current WoW you queue up, clear dungeon in 15mins and never utter a word. Completely lacking of soul. Sterile.
    5. This adds a fun and challenging dimension to the game. Choose your ranks wisely on the fly or the tank dies.
    6. This adds to stuff to do outside of raids once you are done gearing in pre-raid.
    I want to feel the same way about those as well. I really do miss the good old times and the joy of accomplishment, and being able to distinguish the good player from the bad one. But I just don't feel it, it's strange I don't know how t, I just can't imagine myself dealing with these things again.

10+ Year Old Account

mkay.

And did they pay 15 dollars a month?

Also, 5,580 people? That's like... less than one retail WoW server.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    i think it will be hillarius to see how nowadays gamers react to ancient slow like f... and boring like hell stuff

literaly cant wait for the shitstorm that we will see on forums once its released

that shitstorm on forums is actually something which im much more hyped about because since i did play back then i know how nowadays gamers will react and that it will be called the biggest gaming overhype-fail of ad2019 or ad 2020 or whenever it comes out

will be hillarious
    That's if the purists get their way. Hopefully the devs see sense and make a game that will appeal to all and not just the most hardcore crowd.

- - - Updated - - -

And on top of what everyone else has pointed out; these accounts are free to make. People, like myself currently playing TBC server, will have created a new account for every alt they plan to level, so they can carry their own toons. Flawed math is flawed.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post

will be hillarious
    Of course it will be, gamers today are too used to have games hold their hand and tell them how to do everything and take any tedium at all out it. Doesn't mean it won't be enjoyable or successful for the people that wanted to play it to begin with.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Staysafe View Post
    Do you actually think that the Vanilla WoW community that has been playing Vanilla private servers for the last 10 years, gathered 300k petition signatures, have spammed forums, made videos, etc. aren't aware of the things you posted in the OP? That is the game they want. If you don't want it, don't play it. Very simple
    I actually think those people aren't that many, yes. My guts tell me the majority of those who signed haven't actually played Vanilla too, and that they don't really know what they are signing up for. They heard some stories and are just curious to find out, without considering any negatives. I do believe 50% of the people will quit before they even hit level 40. After that will follow the ones who managed to reach 60, but are so tired after leveling for 2 months straight that they can't be bothered anymore. Then will follow the ones who don't like to play on empty servers. Even some of the core Vanilla players will not play on those servers, simply because they cannot use the bots and hacks they use on the private servers.

Nevertheless, for the sake of my own nostalgy, I do hope I am wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've changed my stance.

I'll probably quit current WoW and re roll on classic.

Nostalgia be damned. At least I had fun then.

There are without any doubt huge amount of people who want Classic for what Vanilla was, with every inconvenience and less polished aspects.
    But there is also the same amount of retailers who just going to try it due to the hype, and they will mostly quit before level 60.

The big difference is that it is only the first group here that have asked for it, and want it for what it was.
    Sadly the second group seems to always be more vocal, which is why Retail is now as it is.

That Blizzard finally understands this, is why we get Classic.
    They also see that Vanilla was a totally different game, and accept that for many players that game was better.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Benomatic View Post
    I've changed my stance.

I'll probably quit current WoW and re roll on classic.

Nostalgia be damned. At least I had fun then.
    That's what you think now, but when you are only lvl 30 after 1 week of playing, having to read quest logs for hours straight and walk everywhere on foot?

I really don't know...

That's what you think now, but when you are only lvl 30 after 1 week of playing, having to read quest logs for hours straight and walk everywhere on foot?

I really don't know...
    Why would we need to do that? I did that content enough it's all in my head lol. People think the leveling is what is going to get people, do you really think most people don't have a clue what it was like? Yeah sure there will be some new people that don't know and won't be able to handle it, but I think anyone that has played it before knows what they are in for.

People are going to try and quit, but there are people that try and quit live as well. This has always been the case, lets not act like it's something new just for classic. You will either like it or you won't. If you don't that's cool, if you do that's cool too. I'm not entirely sure why so many people that appear not to want classic at all are that concerned with who quits or doesn't quit?

What do you guys think?
    Literally NONE of those things are negatives, and a lot of them are wrong anyway.

They think they do, but they don't.