Anyone ever ship a car to the EU?

I've been considering moving back to the EU from the US. I'm still a ways off from making a decision, but I was wondering how much it would cost to ship my car when I move.

Anyone have any experience with this? Or should I just contact a shipping company?

10+ Year Old Account
    What car is it?
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Expect about $3.000 to ship and about another 1300 to 2600 taxes license etc.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Vargur View Post
    What car is it?
    2017 Dodge Challenger

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    That's what I was kinda figuring. I wonder if it'd be cheaper if I drove it to the east coast first, instead of shipping out of Seattle.

7+ Year Old Account
    You'd have to get it taxed, probably registered with new plates and an MOT or it's equivalent depending on where you go

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Well that was a mistake. Shoulda leased it.
    I actually haven't bought yet. I'm planning on it in the next couple months. If I move back it'd probably be 2019. Just trying to figure out what shipping would cost. But you bring up a good point, leasing might be smart if I do settle on moving.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    2017 Dodge Challenger

- - - Updated - - -

That's what I was kinda figuring. I wonder if it'd be cheaper if I drove it to the east coast first, instead of shipping out of Seattle.
    Well I assumed you meant from the east coast to europe or vice versa, so no you won't save you the amount I quoted was from a friend of mine who had a car his father gave to him from England.

If you wanted to get car to and from anywhere else, your shipping will be a bit more the most is going to be around $5.400 but that would be more than likely from the west coast to europe, if you could find a company willing to do the shipping.

If you call they will likely give you a lot of back and forth and probably a more precise figure. Those numbers I gave you are the most you can expect from the shipping. Some countries it isn't so much a matter of money as it is hassle.

either way long way or short way you are looking at between $7.500 to $10.000 that's the most could be less depending on some variables.

One final thing though it will be the regulations, paperwork and whatnot that will put you off the most and delivery isn't quick. If this is some kind of super car or exotic, well then the prices would reflect that and could go up, but the kinds of issues would be such as.

Vehicle emissions and safety standards.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Deleted
    Depending on where in the EU and the price of the car, you could be looking at really getting bent over the tax barrell. Some places do charge a significant percentage of the cars value in import tax. You might wanna check up on that first. No matter what, it's almost surely not as simple as just getting it from a to b and then driving it around.

2017 Dodge Challenger
    Prepare to not being able to park it anywhere ;P

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    see to it the car complies with EU regulations too.

Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    Thru which channel?

Last time someone tried it was at least 12k shipping.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Just for idea: bring the money and try to purchase such cars here. mass transport with a full loaded ship is of course cheaper than your single car.

You should also know that a lot of countries in the EU will only recognize an American driving license for 3-6 months, after which time you would need to get a full driving license. This can cost 1000-2000 Euro depending on country and take a month or two to complete.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Honestly, I’d sell that before you go and use the money you planned to ship it with to buy a new car in Europe.
    yup. and unless you live in Rotterdam or near other ports you would also have to move the imported car to your home. a stack of money is better.

I've been considering moving back to the EU from the US. I'm still a ways off from making a decision, but I was wondering how much it would cost to ship my car when I move.

Anyone have any experience with this? Or should I just contact a shipping company?
    You can get Hellcat leases dirt cheap right now, like 500/month. Just do that.

10+ Year Old Account

You need to first of all contact a company about it. Then what car type and weight. Depending on what company, you'll need to find out the car's age/make/model/registration as well. All depends on the country.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    At the very least you would be paying VAT which is about 20% plus import tax but that varies with country and some of them add shipping onto the cost of the car to calculate it.