Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    drinking a bit during the day, since you are staying home is quite different from STARTING in the morning, which implies that you continue to drink through the day and into the evening. THAT is alcoholism, sorry, no other way around it.

Deleted
    Don't drink until the sun is over the yardarm, its a sailing thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    Don't drink until the sun is over the yardarm, its a sailing thing.
    The yardarms on a sailing ship are the horizontal timbers or spars mounted on the masts, from which the square sails are hung. (The word yard here is from an old Germanic word for a pointed stick, the source also of our unit of measurement.) At certain times of year it will seem from the deck that the sun has risen far enough up the sky that it is above the topmost yardarm. In summer in the north Atlantic, where the phrase seems to have originated, this would have been at about 11am. This was by custom and rule the time of the first rum issue of the day to officers and men (the officers had their tots neat, the men’s diluted). It seems that officers in sailing ships adopted a custom, even when on shore, of waiting until this time before taking their first alcoholic drink of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawon View Post
    Pretty sure people that start with a cig in the morning are considered addicted to smoking.. just as you are addicted to alcohol (aka alcoholic) if you swing down a shot of vodka when you get out of bed...
    If I choose to have a drink at lunch time or earlier do I automatically become an alcoholic :| ? What if i'm on holiday ? Does it suddenly become ok and am I not an alcholic....

And I don't drink btw... but if I chose to have a drink for any reason before lunch time or the afternoon I wouldn't instantaneously become an alcoholic... I think you might want to look up what addiction actually is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    People generally expect other people to be functional during daylight hours in case they need to drive somewhere or do things that require attention and cognition. .
    Basically the final reasoning.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

It's also part of a patient's clinical history, used to determine risk of alcohol abuse.

The CAGE pneumonic, I use it every now and then with patients

Quote Originally Posted by Paulosio View Post
    If I choose to have a drink at lunch time or earlier do I automatically become an alcoholic :| ? What if i'm on holiday ? Does it suddenly become ok and am I not an alcholic....

And I don't drink btw... but if I chose to have a drink for any reason before lunch time or the afternoon I wouldn't instantaneously become an alcoholic... I think you might want to look up what addiction actually is.
    How many days in a row have you had a drink before what you consider lunch time? Etc.

Alcoholics know who they are, mostly. The worst of them get aggressive when someone points it out. They may even resort to words like "high-functioning."

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Main reason I don't drink early in the day is due to work. I'd rather not clock in while buzzed. There is the driving to consider as well. I see little wrong with drinking early, especially if said drinker had nothing important to do for the rest of the day.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    It's also part of a patient's clinical history, used to determine risk of alcohol abuse.

The CAGE pneumonic, I use it every now and then with patients

Right here folks. Best answer. Because it can point to a alcohol abuse problem. I been drinking a glass of wine each day for decades, but I drink it with my supper. The thought of drinking it the first thing when I get up is revolting, because I enjoy it with my meal. And having breakfast with wine.? No thanks.

The premise is that if you drink early in the day, you are too drunk to perform regular activities during the day, and that most people who drink during the daytime don't have jobs (which is probably true).

As someone who regularly works nights and also enjoys going out drinking on Monday mornings at 8 am, I can tell you there is plenty of normal social drinking occurring in the morning.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    cigarettes don't significantly alter one's mental state, at least not like alcohol does.
    Lack of cigarettes, however, tends to affect an addict's mood and cognitive capabilities.

Both smoking and drinking are idiotic habits tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's all relative, and about self-discipline. The actual time of day doesn't matter, the "time of day" relative to your normal operating hours is what matters.

If you're actively seeking to alter your state of mind by consuming alcohol or drugs before what would be considered your lunch break, you lack self-discipline, have a problem and should seek to remedy that so you can be of sound mind, stay on task and be productive.

Although it is funny that it implies that getting shitfaced after/during lunch is perfectly acceptable. I think that part is for the stay at home moms that like wine.
    Last edited by Dys; 2018-01-02 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulosio View Post

No you just said it yourself, I you "chose to have a drink before lunch" that means you really want to drink alcohol and cant even wait a bunch of hours after waking up.. that makes you and alcoholic! If booze is what's on your mind when you wake up in the morning, you ARE an alcoholic or on a very good way of becoming one!

By all means, have a beer to lunch (that doesnt make you an alcoholic) but if you start your breakfast with a vodka drink, yeah you're pretty much ready for rehab!
    Last edited by Dawon; 2018-01-02 at 09:29 AM.

Deleted
    Why do you even feel the need to drink at all? It solves nothing and it ages you 10x as fast.

Deleted
    Because society has certain rules/expectations to manage and streamline human behavior.

It sucks here living in a dry county, I work way past midnight. Once I get off work around 4 in the morning, the stores already cut off alcohol sales till the afternoon. I figured I could buy me some Smirnof once I get off to knock back when I get home. So I started buying it long before I leave for work and drink once I get home.

I say it sucks like its a bad thing, not necessarily. I don't drive for one; medical reason. So I don't have to worry about getting behind the wheel while intoxicated if I never intended to in the first place.

It doesn’t however people who wait outside a pub in the morning waiting for it to open are probably alcoholic.