Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Lasik Eye surgery

Before I get banned for X amount of time I would like to know who here has been thru lasik eye surgery. Currently looking at the all laser custom wave version. Is it worth spending the extra money to get the newer/better procedure? I remember many years ago somebody had lasik and they then needed glasses to read when before the operation they did not. What is your experience with Lasik? How much did you pay and what procedure did you get?

Mod Edit: Please discuss only personal experiences / pricing in this thread. The OP has clarified that he is not looking for medical advice, nor is that a topic allowed per the rules. So please keep it at personal experiences and please stop posting "get advice from a professional".

Thanks
    - Venara
    Last edited by Venara; 2018-01-03 at 01:36 AM.

You'll need to get medical advice from your doctor.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    That's not what he's really asking for now is it

I don't like the OP but I'm a decent human being, so here is GENUINE advice.

Do. Not. Use. The. Internet. For. Healthcare. Questions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    That's not what he's really asking for now is it
    Unless there is an surgeon and/or opthamologist on MMO champion (that person would be wickedly qualified to comment) the OP should ask a flesh and blood professional. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    Before I get banned for X amount of time I would like to know who here has been thru lasik eye surgery. Currently looking at the all laser custom wave version. Is it worth spending the extra money to get the newer/better procedure? I remember many years ago somebody had lasik and they then needed glasses to read when before the operation they did not. What is your experience with Lasik? How much did you pay and what procedure did you get?
    I believe typically lasik improves your eye sight, but only one way - i.e. you can't have it for both long and short sightedness. Hence why that "somebody" needed glasses for reading.

7+ Year Old Account
    I got it for my wife 15 years ago, she is back to wearing glasses again. Maybe they have improved since then, but I'm sure they will still say it is possible for your vision to deteriorate since nothing is 100% guaranteed.

Deleted
    Relative got it done. Eyesight 'sharpness' under 'ideal conditions' improved a lot. Eyesight 'contrast' in near darkness got worse. This was years ago, the results supposedly are better these days.

For quality advice, ask two doctors not performing the procedure.

My brother got it done a year or two ago, not sure what type it was but he seems satisfied with it.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    I don't like the OP but I'm a decent human being, so here is GENUINE advice.

Do. Not. Use. The. Internet. For. Healthcare. Questions.

- - - Updated - - -

Unless there is an surgeon and/or opthamologist on MMO champion (that person would be wickedly qualified to comment) the OP should ask a flesh and blood professional. Period.
    not asking medical advice as much as i am asking for personal experiences regarding lasik eye surgery. im smart enough to know every situation is different. i would prefer to read reviews from a community im somewhat familar with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Friend did it 10 years ago lasted 8 had problems after would have to pay to do it again.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Puts the "Super" in Supermod Venara's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I've had LASIK (link) in March 2017. As for your questions:

1. Very positive experience. The aftercare is fairly long and involved but you get used to it. 8 months later my vision is actually still 2 steps better than 20/20 vision in the eye tests. If there's any downside, it's one for other people because, if you're like me and you've been wearing glasses all your life, you have no frame of reference for what you should be able to read or not, so you'll be asking that a lot :P

2. I paid about €3300 for the procedure. This includes the surgery, aftercare and lifetime warranty (meaning they'll touch it up for free as many time as necesessary).

3. Ive had the LASIK with iDesign + IntraLase + Advanced CustomVue Wavefront from OptiLase. Essentially that means it's bladeless and your eyes will be fully scanned and mapped beforehand to correct any individual imperfections specific to your eyes.

I would echo that you should consult a professional about possible side effects, such as possibly still needing reading glasses. Your surgeon should (and mine did) point out to you beforehand that many people will need reading glasses even after they had the surgery. However, most people don't need these immediately but only much later with advanced age. If you're an older man/woman/whatever already, it is quite possible you'll need them immediately.
    Last edited by Venara; 2018-01-03 at 01:24 AM.
    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    They just randomly don't do the surgery, you are checked out before going in.
    You can try to fit me in a box, only to see me burst out of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    My boss got it, his vision isn't perfect, but it's a lot better and that was 10 years ago. You can hear it in his voice how much of a positive difference it made in his life.

It's pretty standard fare that it degrades faster than if you had perfectly healthy eyes, but for people with extreme vision problems, it's probably worth it.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

As far as I know, it's getting better but it's still not a permanent correction. Whether or not it's worth it, that's up to the individual. From what I've heard, it is. One of my close friends will have the surgery this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Venara View Post
    I've had LASIK (link) in March 2017. As for your questions:

1. Very positive experience. The aftercare is fairly long and involved but you get used to it. 8 months later my vision is actually still 2 steps than 20/20 vision in the eye tests. If there's any downside, it's one for other people because, if you're like me and you've been wearing glasses all your life, you have no frame of reference for what you should be able to read or not, so you'll be asking that a lot :P

2. I paid about €3300 for the procedure. This includes the surgery, aftercare and lifetime warranty (meaning they'll touch it up for free as many time as necesessary).

3. Ive had the LASIK with iDesign + IntraLase + Advanced CustomVue Wavefront from OptiLase. Essentially that means it's bladeless and your eyes will be fully scanned and mapped beforehand to correct any individual imperfections specific to your eyes.

I would echo that you should consult a professional about possible side effects, such as possibly still needing reading glasses. Your surgeon should (and mine did) point out to you beforehand that many people will need reading glasses even after they had the surgery. However, most people don't need these immediately but only much later with advanced age. If you're an older man/woman/whatever already, it is quite possible you'll need them immediately.
    this is exactly what i wanted to hear and the exact procedure im looking to do. thank you. if you can think of anything else please add

It sure beats powerdrill eye surgery.

This might not be practical, but if I were to get it done, I'd prefer to get one eye done first, just in case there's some complications and I go blind or some shit. At least then I'll still have the other eye.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Please, consult an actual doctor. Getting your medical advice from this forum is a bad idea.
    Let's stop repeating that please. Many posters have said it, I'm sure the OP gets it.

There is still value in getting a general sense of what experience people had with different procedures and what the pricing was like. Especially the latter is something that can be very different between the offers on the market. I can assure you I spoke to friends and colleagues about their personal experiences before I made my decision. I didn't ask them for medical advice either, I asked about what it was like, does it make a big difference in your life, etc.

We all agree he should take to professional about the medical side, doesn't mean he can't get some data on personal experience.

Let's move on please.

I've had LASIK done, so I'll try to provide my best answers. My surgery was in November, 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    Is it worth spending the extra money to get the newer/better procedure?
    The best is to consult a doctor. Each situation varies. I had advanced astigmatism in both eyes and my vision was exceptionally poor. Like, that big E on the doctors charts? It would be a true blur to me. My eyes were getting worse all the time. The surgery recommended to me would essentially stop that, and fix my eyes to a stronger 20/20 or 20/30 vision. If you're going to fix your eyes with surgery, you'd be better served by getting the best procedure available (regardless of price, otherwise glasses/contacts work). I also had to wait a while, because when I first wanted LASIK, the technology was not mature enough to handle advanced astigmatism. So you may need to wait if you have something special with your eyes.

What is your experience with Lasik?
    Pretty good. I'll echo Venara and say the aftercare is a bit annoying, but overall is necessary and you get used to it. My eyes started falling apart as early as I can remember, so I always wore glasses/contacts. The first thing is the extreme nakedness you feel without those on. I constantly felt like something was amiss without them, and I do to this day (granted its been only a few months). One of the coolest things was the freedom to wear cool sunglasses, hats, have headphones fit comfortably, no longer dealing with fogging glasses in the winter, being able to lay on your side and see, and so on.

To speak to your concern, LASIK often results in needing reading glasses, even if your previous close vision was fine. It's certainly not 100%, I believe my doctor said it was statistically low, but occurred enough to warrant discussion.

How much did you pay and what procedure did you get?
    My insurance paid $4k, I paid nothing, since my vision was declining enough to call it a "necessary" procedure or something. This covered surgery, aftercare, and a lifetime guarantee. Like Venara said, they'll touch up if your far vision falls below 20/35 I believe? Might be 20/40.

I still want to emphasis to speak to your optometrist. There are lots of places that you can get "cheap" LASIK, and they'll advertise it. That is not what you want, you'll be happier (and safer) with personalized care.

Edit: One thing since I didn't see the other messages initially (I was working on my post for a while okay >.>), your eyes will continue to degrade as you age, and I personally will likely need several touch ups throughout my life (since I am in my 20s, and as I age, my eyes will decline). If you're in your 70s, like my grandma was when she did it, you will likely die before needing a touch up. Pessimistically, 7 years is about the shortest my doctor has had to touch someone up, besides those who had complications.
    Last edited by God Save The King; 2018-01-03 at 01:38 AM.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Right, but the forum rules prohibit asking for medical advice and the OP did just that.
    I would argue that's a matter of how you interpret his question.

For the benefit of keeping the thread open, let's agree that he's only asking for the personal experience side. I will make an edit in the OP to clarify this.