7+ Year Old Account

Trump Lifts Obama Ban On Making Killer Viruses

Why...I don't even!?!?!

10+ Year Old Account
    Welp, time get a pistol just in case we get resident evil (movie) lvl chaos

guy's probably signing whatever is put on his desk

Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post

Why...I don't even!?!?!
    So what you want, is to ban all research that could have any negative side effect?

Quote Originally Posted by Krastyn View Post
    So what you want, is to ban all research that could have any negative side effect?
    Do you work for the Umbrella Corporation?

Oh this is going to go well.

When is Trump going to show us his Helga Pataki esque shrine in his hotels that worship Obama and all he really wants is to be noticed. Trump is the lame anime "rival" that thinks he's big and bad but keeps getting curb stomped.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    Do you work for the Umbrella Corporation?
    If a company really wants to make an UBER virus, they already could. The 2014 law just blocked research on 3 different viruses. Not all viruses, just 3. If you read anything on the matter at all, you would know the end goal of the research is to create cures / vaccines to the virus. Is there a risk? Yes. But this really is not as big of a deal as you're making it.

You think this administration gives two shits about research? Because I don't. More likely that they saw an Obama-era restriction and wanted it removed because it was an Obama-era restriction.

Sweet! Bring on captain trips!

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    You think this administration gives two shits about research? Because I don't. More likely that they saw an Obama-era restriction and wanted it removed because it was an Obama-era restriction.
    And? It wasn't even a ban on research. It was a ban on government funded research. On 3 viruses. Anyone fearing the end of the world over this is getting way, way over hyped.

This decision was announced and endorsed by Francis Collins, Obama appointee and director of the NIH. Cenk frames this as an issue that the administration is not qualified to handle when it is in the hands of scientists at the NIH (not part of the administration) who want to be one step ahead of deadly diseases.

So his argument is that it isn't worth it because it might get out but why the hell would a pundit be qualified to make that risk assessment and not the NIH?

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    This decision was announced and endorsed by Francis Collins, Obama appointee and director of the NIH. Cenk frames this as an issue that the administration is not qualified to handle when it is in the hands of scientists at the NIH (not part of the administration) who want to be one step ahead of deadly diseases.

So his argument is that it isn't worth it because it might get out but why the hell would a pundit be qualified to make that risk assessment and not the NIH?
    Because Trump did it, so therefore it is bad. Right?

Because Trump did it, so therefore it is bad. Right?
    Please put a trigger warning before you say that name to me.

This decision was announced and endorsed by Francis Collins, Obama appointee and director of the NIH.
    Unfortunately for the narrative being presented in that article, this research was being funded during the restriction.

When the moratorium was imposed, it effectively halted 21 projects, Dr. Collins said. In the three years since, the N.I.H. created exceptions that funded ten of those projects. Five were flu-related, and five concerned the MERS virus.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/19/h...-nih.html?_r=0

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    Sweet! Bring on captain trips!
    Grrr, now you've reminded me I was gonna reread that at some point and I already have so many books to read

So republicans hate science and research unless it's for the explicit purpose of causing the apocalypse?

Time to play plague inc.

According to my very scientific modeling, plague inc evolved, Trumps new bioweapon will wipe out humanity by 2020.
    Last edited by Xeones; 2018-01-03 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    So republicans hate science and research unless it's for the explicit purpose of causing the apocalypse?

Time to play plague inc.

According to my very scientific modeling, plague inc evolved, Trumps new bioweapon will wipe out humanity by 2020.
    We have to stay in Madagascar to stay safe. (Early versions of the game it was almost impossible to infect Madagascar.)

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account

How can anyone trust the motivations behind the Trump campaign when it comes to anything related to science? It should be met with a high degree of skepticism.

Republicans are against stem cell research, which has the ability to cure debilitating diseases. Yet they're apparently supporting research into deadly viruses?

The program was shut down for safety concerns - to give us time to implement better procedures. Has that been done? Remember when we found 6 live vials of smallpox in the back of a storage cabinet at the NIH?

Should we be concerned and skeptical? Fuck yes.
    Eat yo vegetables

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    How can anyone trust the motivations behind the Trump campaign when it comes to anything related to science? It should be met with a high degree of skepticism.

Republicans are against stem cell research, which has the ability to cure debilitating diseases. Yet they're apparently supporting research into deadly viruses?

The program was shut down for safety concerns - to give us time to implement better procedures. Has that been done? Remember when we found 6 live vials of smallpox in the back of a storage cabinet at the NIH?

Should we be concerned and skeptical? Fuck yes.
    NIH made this decision, not "the Trump campaign". It isn't a partisan issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Attackrabbit View Post
    Grrr, now you've reminded me I was gonna reread that at some point and I already have so many books to read
    Yah i read it a million times and then i got the audio book for it so i can listen to it while i'm working or doing other things.